1 2
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/20/17 8:24 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

What about a flat six subie engine? Eg33, turbo, all the fun of a 911, still has a boxer, but enormously cheaper to track. 

You can save a lot of money both in per-each cost and shipping costs if you buy your head gaskets by the dozen from (GRM Advertiser) Rock Auto.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/21/17 10:33 a.m.

I follow builds of the FFR 818 and based on their experience (experiments?) the subi motors (both 4 and 6 cylinders) don't hold up in high horsepower track like situations in a mid engine application. Heat problems, oiling issues. There are also no off the shelf turbo applications for the flat 6, so you are kind of on your own or need the help of a shop $$. To make 400 or more HP I don't think they would be a better option than an LS.

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
10/21/17 3:08 p.m.

As a current owner of a 996 and a guy who races E30s I would add a few things. First off the 996s drive so well stock. If I thought the car needed another hundred horsepower I would have just bit the bullet and bought the turbo. Second it is a fast, fun street car with a back seat but it would get worked like a summer job on the track against modern stuff. Lastly I look at it like this: it is an older exotic with prices artificially depressed by a bunch of IMS hysteria. That makes it a great value for guys like us but it does not change the fact that the initial buy in may be a relatively small part of the ownership cost. But it will probably be fine, so I just drive it to work most days and continue to love it. Jcamper

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/21/17 6:44 p.m.

Have you seen 911 prices lately?  Buyers must be over their IMS fears because 996 and 997 prices are up substantially this year—only 996 cabrio automatics still are going for cheap money. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4fBLq1rtqd02JVN2cqqzEQKrlB9vgGzsPn00wU1nAMHOtNt9uinz9cvitpDWRApB