Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/4/16 10:58 a.m.

Anyone seen sales figures for the ND Miata Vs it's Italian cousin the Fiat a Spider?

Around me I see nearly no Miatas but I've seen three Spiders today, four if I included the demonstrator parked outside the Fiat dealer. This isn't uncommon.

What about other areas?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
10/4/16 11:29 a.m.

Pretty much the opposite here in the Cincinnati area. I see some Miatas, but I don't think I've seen a new Spider on the road. I'm assuming that has more to do with the Miata having been available longer, though.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
10/4/16 11:58 a.m.
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/4/16 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

In metro Detroit, spider would qualify for FCA employee/supplier discount and executive cars.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/4/16 12:05 p.m.

Here in DE/Philly area, I have seen a handful of ND Mitae and zero Spiders, even though I work within a couple miles of a FIAT dealer.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
10/4/16 12:23 p.m.

I've not seen a Fiat in person yet, but I've only seen 3 or 4 NDs - including the GRM project car at the Challenge. The nearest Fiat dealer is 375mi away in Memphis though, so that's certainly part of the reason.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/4/16 12:26 p.m.

We've had 5 ND's at a single autocross. I've yet to see a Fiat124. I want to see a 124 in person.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/4/16 12:42 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: In metro Detroit, spider would qualify for FCA employee/supplier discount and executive cars.

Doherty, obvious really. I should have thought of that.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/4/16 1:16 p.m.

I've seen one Fiat outside of the dealership, but only maybe 3-4 ND's in the Dayton OH area. (When I test drove one they had two, but at the road rally a month later one had been sold...)

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
10/4/16 1:37 p.m.

I've seen a 12/1 ND/Fiat ration around me.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/4/16 1:53 p.m.

Today's total now 4 Fiats (5 if you include the demo car) and at last one ND.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/4/16 2:22 p.m.

We have 4 MX-5s in the MiMiata club and the 1st Fiat showed up last month. The Fiat owner works for FCA. I've seen 3 or 4 Fiats in the wild around Dexter, fewer Miatas though.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/4/16 2:38 p.m.

I only saw my first ND in the flesh this weekend in MD. So.. 1 Miata, 0 Fiats so far

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/4/16 3:05 p.m.

Haven't seen a 124 in the flesh, but I have seen a 124 TV commercial. Have not seen an ND commercial.

Desmond
Desmond HalfDork
10/4/16 3:16 p.m.

Guy up the street from me owns the Fiat. Guy down the street has the Miata. I should invite them both to dinner. I can already see it...

"Do you know why I gathered you here today?..."

(servants lock all doors and close all blinds)

Would be interesting to see why they chose what they chose, and how they like it so far.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/4/16 3:59 p.m.
Desmond wrote: Would be interesting to see why they chose what they chose, and how they like it so far.

Even better, make them trade for a week.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/4/16 4:20 p.m.

I've seen a handful of NDs, but yet to see a Spider here in DC area. Which is odd since everyone here always feels compelled to go buy whatever new car is out there.......

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
10/4/16 5:57 p.m.

I think that it's way too early to say. I remember posting that I thought the latest version Mazda 3 was a sales pig. Then they took off quite nicely. Currently MX-5s are moving at about 1k/month. In September Fiat sold 490 Spyders.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/5/16 12:39 a.m.

There are very few manual 124s available, and no Abarths. I suspect many buyers are waiting for one or both. I think we need to wait until those problems are rectified before we can get a better idea of how they're selling.

BTW, we had the big Miatas at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca event this past weekend. There were a LOT of NDs in attendance. I was amazed. The car has been adopted by the hard core enthusiasts very quickly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ET3jnz0ZBoiLt7T8pa21oxKBLvM7mulSwARanRxoYskSuw47rGslgNqJSiq9SCnS