So, after 12 years the Flowmaster Delta 44 is finally rusting apart at the inlet. The Delta 44 does sound distinctly anti-ricer and oddly powerful, but still has a fair amount of 4-cylinder rasp at higher RPM. I am having a helluva time deciding what to put on in it's place (which is at the extreme rear, under the bumper cover.) Considerations are:

1) tied for 1st place in importance are maximum power/minimal 4 cylinder rasp/no ricer farts (I know, it's still a 2 liter 4, so always some rasp, but still)

2) the exhaust consists of header, Magnaflow metal matrix high flow cat, 2-1/4 inch pipe, muffler in stock position at the back.

3) doesn't have to be pretty or expensive. Cheap is good, as long as it can accomplish what I'm after.

4) if possible, reduce part throttle sympathetic drone at 1800-2000 and 2800-3200 rpm (I suspect these to be resonant freqs of the body shell, so...)

5) not overly concerned about WOT dB level, but can't be loud enough to cause instant trouble since it does get street driven.

Is a basic glasspack a viable option, given the above? Concerning glasspacks is longer always quieter/mellower? Would adding a glasspacked tip smooth out the tone regardless of which muffler I go with?

malibuguy
malibuguy New Reader
11/28/17 9:36 p.m.

Jones maxflow.  Basically a magnaflow copy.  $35, straight thru...smooth sounding

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/29/17 10:26 a.m.

I've got a Borla muffler fom my ZX2SR you can have.

WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed
WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed Dork
11/29/17 11:39 a.m.
iceracer said:

I've got a Borla muffler fom my ZX2SR you can have.

Interesting. I have always liked the Borla sound on 4 cylinders, but ruled them out (and Magnaflow) because Borla is rather pricey for what is primarily a track and non-Miata weather car. What is the inlet/outlet pipe sizing?

malibuguy
malibuguy New Reader
11/29/17 1:37 p.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed :

Pricey?  They are all within like $20 of each other for an oval case muffler. 

malibuguy said:

Pricey?  They are all within like $20 of each other for an oval case muffler. 

Borla, $20? No. They start around $90 and go past $400. Any Borla you saw for $20 was an illegal counterfeit.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/29/17 5:46 p.m.

I think 1.875.   I'll check tomorrow in the daylight, no light in the shed.

malibuguy
malibuguy New Reader
11/29/17 7:26 p.m.

Reread what i had said...slowly lol

Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmasters are all flirting in the 85-110 range now.  

FE3tMX5
FE3tMX5 New Reader
11/30/17 7:20 a.m.

One thing the Magnaflow has going for it is stainless packing vs. fiberglass for the cheaper options. I ran a fiberglass packed muffler prior and it gradually got louder with the miles and degradation of the packing. I swapped it out to a large 5x11x22 Magnaflow 12578 which I've run for a few thousand miles on a 2L turbo Miata. The sound is perfect IMO - quiet during normal driving, zero drone at hwy speeds (3k hwy miles) and throaty under full throttle. Sounds the same as it did the day I installed it. Whichever muffler you pick, check for a step down in diameter as it enters the can. Advance Auto Parts carries the magnaflow and they regularly have high discount coupons, making that your best price. Borla's ProXS (similar to my Magnaflow) does this, as does Vibrant's resonators. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/30/17 10:52 a.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Yep. as I thought .    Out let at bumper.

WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed
WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed Dork
11/30/17 11:23 a.m.
iceracer said:

In reply to iceracer :

Yep. as I thought .    Out let at bumper.

How in the world did Ford get 142 hp out the S/R with a itty bitty 1-7/8 muffler???

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/30/17 6:15 p.m.

Exhaust tuning?   I went to a larger pipe and muffler to no change in performance just more noise.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JIjDawl8wlwzOZnUvldNyJZPyUpGytkAwmNb0dBZRaAsKcolsTka8HBqQ5l1WKwc