1 2
Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
7/19/22 5:50 p.m.

I'll start.

The Baltimore beltway.  51.6 miles long, multiple lanes wide with plenty of room to pass.

Of course you might have problems with locals when you close it for the week.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/19/22 7:23 p.m.

Definitely race it clockwise, the uphill section from Brooklyn Park to catonsville is legit, then the westside straight and Twisties dropping into the 83s.

The north and west side of 495 is still better, but the east side of 495 is trash. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
7/19/22 8:03 p.m.

There's a 175 mile long route in Southern Indiana that is pretty gosh darn close to the layout of the Nordschleife:

Indiana puts on 175-mile Nurburgring-shaped pork-themed charity rally

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
7/19/22 10:53 p.m.

If only there where more than two curves in the entire state of North Dakota. sad How about a race on the straightest highway in the entire country? Highway 46 in southeast ND - 120 miles with three little curves, two across a couple of little rivers and one around a little slough. Also perfectly flat.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
7/20/22 7:45 a.m.

This has been my idea for a street race for karts in Stuart, VA.  Some good turns, excellent elevation changes, and doesn't close down the entire city.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
7/20/22 7:53 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

That shape is ridiculously close.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
7/20/22 8:00 a.m.

For the rally people, gravelmap.com

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
7/20/22 10:13 a.m.

I've often thought the ring road for the old plant site in DuPont State Forest could be a cool little track. If you wanted it to be longer you could incorporate some of the other roads near the parking lot.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/20/22 10:35 a.m.

The infamous Car and Driver test loop is just to the southwest of me:

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/20/22 10:46 a.m.

I've always thought the Brecksville reservation would be a great option for an event like Schenley Park. No impact whatsoever on local traffic, really fun road, etc. Would probably need a hay bale chicane or two to slow speeds down on the straight-er sections. 

Edit: If Grassroots wants to try this out, I hereby offer to be the event chair... Just sayin.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/20/22 11:01 a.m.

Work with the national park service and close skyline drive for a epic long hillclimb or rally special stage (navigator likely required)...

Limited vehicle access.   Trails are pretty well known and I think trail access could be somewhat controlled from coming on the road.

The road is BERKING EPIC.  105 miles that is largely switchbacks.  What kills is the strictly enforced low low speed limit (something like 35mph?)  I've driven it, I want to go back and do it again with either one of my mopeds or my bugeye sprite.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
7/20/22 11:04 a.m.

Rally stage or Touge Battle

Even just a section of it would be epic. Especially between I35 and chester park

Most of it looks like this:

BoulderG
BoulderG New Reader
7/20/22 11:05 a.m.

I lived in Atlanta in the 1990s and did a little autocrossing. There were a couple guys at events there wearing T-shirts that said "I-285: Atlanta's Autobahn" with a cool graphic. Wish I had gotten one!

(I-285 is a big ring road around Atlanta. At various points, the same road is considered North South East or West. I really wanted them to just rename the directions "Clockwise" and "AntiClockwise.")

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
7/20/22 11:12 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

Work with the national park service and close skyline drive for a epic long hillclimb or rally special stage (navigator likely required)...

Limited vehicle access.   Trails are pretty well known and I think trail access could be somewhat controlled from coming on the road.

The road is BERKING EPIC.  105 miles that is largely switchbacks.  What kills is the strictly enforced low low speed limit (something like 35mph?)  I've driven it, I want to go back and do it again with either one of my mopeds or my bugeye sprite.

I live down on the other end of the parkway.  My morning commute is on BRP for around 5 miles.  I would love to do a Cannonball style event from national park to national park.  469 miles with a max speed limit of 45.  Who can do it in 3-4 hours?  

johndej
johndej SuperDork
7/20/22 12:52 p.m.
jmabarone said:
Apexcarver said:

I live down on the other end of the parkway.  My morning commute is on BRP for around 5 miles.  I would love to do a Cannonball style event from national park to national park.  469 miles with a max speed limit of 45.  Who can do it in 3-4 hours?  

I grew up not far from the park, 211 or 33 over the mountains are great. Top gear came through on their way to VIR many years ago after hearing the roads were so great but found the same speed limit issue in the park proper.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/20/22 2:34 p.m.

In the hills north of Malibu CA.   33 min sounds like a challenge....

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
7/20/22 2:45 p.m.

What about a hill climb up highway NC 151? (Also, shhhhhh I didn't tell you about 151)

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
7/20/22 2:50 p.m.

I used to put together a motorcycle ride for old clunkers quite a few years ago through the Ozark mountains. This was the ride and it would translate into a race track (road rally) quite nicely. In fact it could be diced up into like 30 different tracks if you really wanted to.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
7/20/22 3:39 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

wait, there's a GRM'er in Patrick County!?

I'll say there'd be good spectating uptown... and that part of Main St. is wide enough for Hay Bales.  The descent down Patrick Ave will be eye opening with the 90deg right hander at the bottom.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/20/22 4:24 p.m.

In reply to BoulderG :

I was just thinking: What about 285?

And, yes, call the directions clockwise and counterclockwise. 

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
7/20/22 5:06 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

In reply to jmabarone :

wait, there's a GRM'er in Patrick County!?

I'll say there'd be good spectating uptown... and that part of Main St. is wide enough for Hay Bales.  The descent down Patrick Ave will be eye opening with the 90deg right hander at the bottom.

Yep, Claudville.  Where are you at?  

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
7/20/22 7:01 p.m.

I would go with the Brecksville course, it's just a few miles away from me. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
7/20/22 7:08 p.m.
jmabarone said:

Yep, Claudville.  Where are you at?  

Most of the time, I'm in NoVA.  But I end up in a dry pond from time to time.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/20/22 10:00 p.m.

This thread is like, "Here's my plan for a date with a supermodel", someone who doesn't know that you exist and doesn't take your calls. You know, making plans involving others yet not telling them how they're involved. And yet, we all dream.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
7/21/22 12:33 a.m.

Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park. Traffic speeds in the day are only like 15 mph but the road is open at night and nobody in their right mind actually drives it in the dark, so there wouldn't be any campers or busses... smiley

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JKaOdxmEYsgvd7ArJmZdYeFQQUxqERLT7m8bztX5G30qHKirb5dUZ7X0dqKFWKp3