oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/23/21 3:17 p.m.

So I've been looking around for a place that refinishes chromed plastic.  The "C" pillar trim is peeling pretty badly.   I did a search and got in touch with a company down in California and got a quote of $1500 EACH........

Now, I'm not aware of the difficulty, or the costs involved, but $3000 for 2 trim panels does seem excessive.

I don't really want to do this (restore the trim panels) on my own, I'd rather this be done professionally, but $3000 is a lot.   Anyone know of another company offering similar service???

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/23/21 3:19 p.m.

Not sure if it will help restore something that big, but we did some chromed plastic restoration over at Classic Motorsports.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/21 4:04 p.m.

You can spray Molotow Liquid Chrome through an airbrush FYI. You can even buy it already in a bottle. Strip the old chrome, paint the pieces gloss black, chrome spray, done.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/23/21 4:31 p.m.

I have this exact problem on my FJ62. Grille plastic chrome is peeling as are the mirrors. No new OEM pieces. Ended up getting Taiwan pieces, total of $550. Was cheapaer than local places trying to fix it for me. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
3/23/21 4:31 p.m.

These guys are local to me though I don't have any experience with them

Vacuum Orna-Metal

(Sorry, can't get link to work for some reason)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/23/21 5:14 p.m.

Any kind of plating is expensive these days, but you could call around to get more quotes to see if anyone will do the job for less than $1500 each.  There are any number of places that can plate plastic parts.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/23/21 5:50 p.m.

http://www.mmmetalizing.com/contact.html

I do not know these guys but they have car stuff on the Company website

I would also look in Hemmings motor news ,

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/24/21 6:57 a.m.

No experience, but I've always heard the go-to for this was Mr. G's Rechromed Plastic. Or is that the $550 per side quote you got?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/24/21 8:23 a.m.

I had Mr. G's rechrome the dash bezel in my '66 Ford pickup and it came out pretty nice.  However, that was many years ago so I don't remember the cost, and it wouldn't be relative today anyway.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/24/21 9:09 a.m.

We had the plastic headlight bezels on a Fiat chrome plated by Ogden Chrome a few years back

They smoothed off all the texture, sprayed them with a conductive copper paint and then chrome plated them just like they would have a metal part

It was not at all inexpensive, but it was what the owner wanted so......

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/26/21 11:33 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

http://www.mmmetalizing.com/contact.html

I do not know these guys but they have car stuff on the Company website

I would also look in Hemmings motor news ,

These were the folks that said $1500 each...........

Rons
Rons HalfDork
3/26/21 1:35 p.m.

Is there a way to wrap them? Thinking of those cars wrapped with incredibly shiny vinyl made me think of that.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/26/21 1:43 p.m.

Neither Odgen, or Mr G still offer plastic plating.....  I'm waiting to hear back from Vacuum Orna-Metal.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/30/21 11:50 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

Neither Odgen, or Mr G still offer plastic plating.....  I'm waiting to hear back from Vacuum Orna-Metal.

Vacuum Orna-metal can do it for a significantly lower amount then the other, BUT they are not the same durability.  Vacuum Orna-metal is much thinner, and likely will only last 3-5 years....  they primarily do interior plastics.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/31/21 3:31 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vdnStH2iE53Krx7yFQYyDRYvonSpgPCpZFQhT6M43XCDwcKp6VbC9y2BE9gvOVju