1 2
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/19/20 11:27 p.m.

If you are mildly interested in keeping up with Subie misadventures, I'm going to consolidate into one build thread.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/three-porsches-2000-911-996-c2-2000-boxster-s-986-/162893/page2/#post3143800

Here's to hoping that title may be updated too.

I did new front struts and top hats today.  I also did the front mudflaps, and found out there is a problem with the OBD II port.  Scanner doesn't detect the ECU properly.

11/22/20 8:06 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing said:

You should try to make it to the rally cross in Maxwell, TX next Saturday. It's about 3.5hrs from DFW, between Austin And San Antonio. 

It's put on by Lonestar Rallycross.

Rally cross Nov. 21st

Did it, thanks for the rec.  We had a great time.  Also, so much for turbo cars being fastest.  The winning S4 car was a GC RS and it was driven quite a bit faster than many prepared turbo cars.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/22/20 8:15 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, so much for turbo cars being fastest.  The winning S4 car was a GC RS and it was driven quite a bit faster than many prepared turbo cars.  

Nobody said Turbo cars had the fastest drivers.

11/23/20 12:45 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Also, so much for turbo cars being fastest.  The winning S4 car was a GC RS and it was driven quite a bit faster than many prepared turbo cars.  

Right but the turbo cars weren't really much faster it'd take a much more open faster course for the power to become important.  Even with 165 hp there were only 2 places I could use full throttle on a 60 sec course.  

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
11/23/20 7:13 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Right but the turbo cars weren't really much faster it'd take a much more open faster course for the power to become important.  Even with 165 hp there were only 2 places I could use full throttle on a 60 sec course.  

It depends on the course, but there's definitely a limit to how much power you can use in most cars on a RallyX course due to lack of available grip at lower speeds.  Even on a course where I saw close to 70 coming off a long, easy slalom in the Jeep, I was never all that close to WOT.  The Jeep was probably the highest powered car there that day at 350-ish hp and got a few comments about the higher speed out of the slalom than basically anything else including the turbo Subies.  I was also on the biggest / widest tires of the bunch (235/70R16s).  My overall times were only mid-pack though, which is just further proof that power and ability to go fast in the fast spots isn't everything.  Ability to stay fast in the slow spots matters more, I think. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/20 7:53 a.m.

Interesting.  I've spent a fair amount of time at WOT rallycrossing.  In the Sentra I was at WOT a decent chunk of time on any dry course, and had to go to 3rd on every course, with 175hp and FWD.  2.5RS would spend even more time at WOT digging out of the lower speed corners.  As mentioned in the tire thread, dry surfaces have enough grip that they work well with 200TW ST tires - plenty of traction to put down the power.

On a real wet course, yeah, almost no time at WOT and adding power would not help.

3/14/21 7:46 p.m.

First rallycross of the season today.  Put photos in my other build thread including some of a super cool Safari 240Z.

I was told and heard my all season M&S tires are squealing in almost all corners.  I need summer or autoX rubber for the packed OK clay.

3/14/21 9:59 p.m.

Turns out my mud and snow tires are 640 TW lol.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
QYwiFgSQdvLtHjasUiMbOv72s0cPJEddzkyE4vGBKrNGL3F7tpju2f9xXqPk2wU3