1 2
JoshDank
JoshDank None
6/17/08 4:57 p.m.

So, I'm finally graduating college with an EE degree after a loooong time. I love my Ford ZX2, but the mileage is getting high and I'd like to get something nicer. I absolutely love Audi TT's and I've been looking to pick up a 1.8T quattro (love the idea of having AWD). I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on these. Most likely I'll try to get a '03-'06 with under 50k on the clock and it will be my DD... not a track car. I'll probably do some light mods, but if I decide to start doing weekend races, I'll probably just start stripping and reworking my ZX2 (for some autox fun). let me know if you guys have any thumbs up or down...

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/17/08 5:10 p.m.

The only real comment I can add is that if you are of any height you will find yourself ducking to see signal lights.

Factless observation would be that I cannot imagine much of anything would be easy to work on in one of those.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/17/08 5:38 p.m.

It's a dressed-up new beetle with less headroom and funky ergonomics. I test drove one and didn't like it. I did not like the power delivery of the 1.8T. Didn't help that I'd just tested a 2.5L Z3.

They seem to be a love-it-or-hate-it car. I hated it.

JoshDank
JoshDank New Reader
6/17/08 6:27 p.m.
Salanis wrote: It's a dressed-up new beetle with less headroom and funky ergonomics. I test drove one and didn't like it. I did not like the power delivery of the 1.8T. Didn't help that I'd just tested a 2.5L Z3. They seem to be a love-it-or-hate-it car. I hated it.

Did you test drive a Quattro? Just curious because they make about 40 more hp than the fwd 1.8T's.

As far as styling goes, I can understand why not all people like it... but I do.

edit:

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to hearing them. I'm looking for something sporty, non-convertible, AWD or RWD, reasonable power, and under 15k (around 10k would be even better).

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/17/08 6:31 p.m.

very little fits through the windows on them, a fellow at the local auto-x has one. you cant fit a helmet through it.

Sonic
Sonic New Reader
6/17/08 6:37 p.m.
JoshDank wrote: If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to hearing them. I'm looking for something sporty, non-convertible, AWD or RWD, reasonable power, and under 15k (around 10k would be even better).

E36 M3. I really miss mine, what a great car.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/17/08 7:03 p.m.

I bet you could pick up an E46 for <$15k.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
6/17/08 7:07 p.m.

try to get 3.2 with DSG thats all I can say.

ansonivan
ansonivan New Reader
6/17/08 7:14 p.m.

Another vote for an e36/e46, a well maintained example will be much less expensive to operate than the Audi and a great deal more rewarding to drive.

Once the nifty wears off of the audi you'll be left with a rattly little turbo four and a bunch of worn out ball joints.

JoshDank
JoshDank New Reader
6/17/08 7:23 p.m.

I'm all about a BMW, but can I get a well-maintained manual for under 15k that has 50k miles or less? Could I find an m3 under those conditions?

porschenut
porschenut New Reader
6/17/08 7:28 p.m.

Drove a cab TT loved it. None of the mail slot claustrophibia issues of the coupe. 1.8T is fun, but you need to keep the boost up to go fast.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/17/08 7:38 p.m.

my North Yorkshire bred boss said it best...

"hair dressers cars or preferred by those from the south of england who drink lager and are called Trevor"

ansonivan
ansonivan New Reader
6/17/08 8:30 p.m.

You can certainly find an e36 to fall within your guidelines, it will not be an M3 though.

I suggest that you test drive a 325is/328is, they offer a very different driving experience from the TT which you may or may not enjoy.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/17/08 8:52 p.m.

I think the TT looks cool.

other than that, pass...

can you get a 350z for that these days?

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/17/08 9:39 p.m.
JoshDank wrote:
Salanis wrote: It's a dressed-up new beetle with less headroom and funky ergonomics. I test drove one and didn't like it. I did not like the power delivery of the 1.8T. Didn't help that I'd just tested a 2.5L Z3. They seem to be a love-it-or-hate-it car. I hated it.
Did you test drive a Quattro? Just curious because they make about 40 more hp than the fwd 1.8T's. As far as styling goes, I can understand why not all people like it... but I do. edit: If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to hearing them. I'm looking for something sporty, non-convertible, AWD or RWD, reasonable power, and under 15k (around 10k would be even better).

not exactly, the single turbo version (180hp) was available in either fwd or awd, and the only way the twin turbo (220hp) version was available was with awd

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
6/17/08 9:46 p.m.

You could buy my '99 328i 5-speed, well maintained but in need of a few minor things, for about half your price. It's got about 120k more miles than your target range but it's solid and tight except for needing new front control arms (ball joints) and bushings.

Scott

Keith
Keith SuperDork
6/17/08 9:53 p.m.

If you're looking at a TT for the design, I think you'd be pretty disappointed by the 350Z. It has all the right ideas, but they're executed badly. Plastic door handles?

I say go for it. Yes, it's a New Beetle that looks good. And a New Beetle is just a Golf without a useful back seat or any carrying capacity. But the TT is a show car that got loose, and a beautiful little thing. I'll take a silver coupe, and I'd really be tempted to blank out those rear quarters like the original.

JoshDank
JoshDank New Reader
6/17/08 10:25 p.m.
Keith wrote: If you're looking at a TT for the design, I think you'd be pretty disappointed by the 350Z. It has all the right ideas, but they're executed badly. Plastic door handles? I say go for it. Yes, it's a New Beetle that looks good. And a New Beetle is just a Golf without a useful back seat or any carrying capacity. But the TT is a show car that got loose, and a beautiful little thing. I'll take a silver coupe, and I'd really be tempted to blank out those rear quarters like the original.

This is exactly how I feel. I currently own the ZX2 and my wife's Jetta. Although the Jetta is a base model, the quality is quite good for their entry level car. This will be the first car I've ever bought with a (in my opinion) pretty good budget. I want to drive home extremely pleased with my purchase... whatever it is. I want the car to feel solid, drive solid, and last for a few years (until I can buy my first Porsche, hehe). If the TT is not the car I'm looking for, then I'd rather find out now. However, if it's just a personal brand preference that keeps others from liking the TT, that's not an issue.

Keep the comments coming, I'm getting some more ideas.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/17/08 10:36 p.m.
JoshDank wrote: I'm all about a BMW, but can I get a well-maintained manual for under 15k that has 50k miles or less? Could I find an m3 under those conditions?

Dump the mileage requirement. BMWs are not even fully broken in at 50k.

If TT's are anything like the A4/Passat bretheren, I wouldn't own one on a bet. Endless ball joints, electrical issues, expensive parts and inept dealerships are in your future with one. And heaven help you if you crash it. As an insurance adjuster, VW/Audi products have worked their way to the top of my hated cars list, surpassing even the PITA Wrangler and the M-B cars with 240 seperate parts to their bumpers. Available in 4 different versions.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/17/08 10:39 p.m.

I wouldn't wish a late model VW on an enemy, and I think the TT may be the only car girlier than an A1 VW Cabriolet. Other than that I guess they are OK.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/17/08 10:43 p.m.
ddavidv wrote:
JoshDank wrote: I'm all about a BMW, but can I get a well-maintained manual for under 15k that has 50k miles or less? Could I find an m3 under those conditions?
Dump the mileage requirement. BMWs are not even fully broken in at 50k. If TT's are anything like the A4/Passat bretheren, I wouldn't own one on a bet. Endless ball joints, electrical issues, expensive parts and inept dealerships are in your future with one. And heaven help you if you crash it. As an insurance adjuster, VW/Audi products have worked their way to the top of my hated cars list, surpassing even the PITA Wrangler and the M-B cars with 240 seperate parts to their bumpers. Available in 4 different versions.

I don't see what would be hard about doing an adjustment on a Wrangler.

"Was it in a wreck?"
"Yes"
"Totalled."

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/18/08 7:33 a.m.

am absolutely in love with the newest TT. I will take mine in red please. Spent three hours in one last week and my boss had to pry the wheel out of my hand.

I would love to swap a TDI mill into a TT Coupe. Simple one car donor from the Beetle. get the baseball glove leather seats and I am in heaven.

BTW 6'3" and 285lbs... and I find the TT comfy.

I

therex
therex Dork
6/18/08 8:31 a.m.
Strizzo sez: not exactly, the single turbo version (180hp) was available in either fwd or awd, and the only way the twin turbo (220hp) version was available was with awd

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/18/08 8:58 a.m.

I drove an AWD TT. It was the 220 hp version. Man, was that car fast! I couldn't adapt to the turbo-lag for just driving normally, but if you unleash it, it will go go GO!

Passed it up for the Z3, but I had always wanted a Z3 and this was the opportunity.

I really liked it though. (Just watch out for the interior. The soft plastics seem to peel - like the "Oh E36 M3!" handles and the door handles . . .)

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/18/08 9:03 a.m.

easy way to tell if you have a 180 or 220 is the 220 has dual exhaust and the 180 has single

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VMzGvyQcgARZ7jJ01ayVVBU0u4HUh4RLxbl97KQcAMHakPdhZ0IRrKcmdiZf9c6w