1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
12/6/22 7:25 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Very entertaining. That wagon took a beating. The "active aero" sure looked cool, though I don't know how much it was actually doing.

According to the introduction video, the aero if activated with air cylinders. They looked pretty flimsy to me, more decorative than functional. That said, man does sit look cool. 

Mmm.  Surface area is surface area and they don't seem to be shaking or moving when they're deployed.  When its airborne I could see it doing more to control how it might land more than anything else they've got going on.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/6/22 10:07 p.m.

That might be my favorite one of the series. That stunt where he jumped the entire bridge was insane, the side shot did a great job of showing how far the car went.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
12/7/22 7:34 a.m.
Stampie said:

Every time I watch one of these I'm like how can I make a redneck version?  Turboed Cadillac 472 driving a NP203 AWD transfer case Ford 8.8 rear with a Dana 44 front axle.  Lowered Jeep CJ body on 23 inch tires.  Yeah that does it for me.

We're cut from the same cloth you and I 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/7/22 2:50 p.m.

I love the apt description of the SVX: It's like the future... But in the past.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/7/22 4:53 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

"Nothing says 'yesterday' like yesterday's tomorrow"

Meanwhile the future was more like:

"I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige crossover, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/8/22 12:47 p.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

That might be my favorite one of the series. That stunt where he jumped the entire bridge was insane, the side shot did a great job of showing how far the car went.

I got thinking about this myself and ended up watching a LOT of previous Gymknanas last night. I think there's solid stuff in all of them, but I think #3 (French Autodrome) is the most underrated. Something about the stunts on the vertical face of the banking really works for me visually and dynamically. Although honestly my single favorite piece of content is probably the Amazon documentary.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
12/8/22 1:13 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/8/22 1:55 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I got thinking about this myself and ended up watching a LOT of previous Gymknanas last night. I think there's solid stuff in all of them, but I think #3 (French Autodrome) is the most underrated. Something about the stunts on the vertical face of the banking really works for me visually and dynamically. Although honestly my single favorite piece of content is probably the Amazon documentary.

I really enjoyed the documentary. It's always fun to see the behind the scenes stuff of these things come together from the cars, to the locations, to the stunts. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/8/22 7:35 p.m.

Confession: I loved my EA82 wagon and I probably won't ever watch this because the car has as much in common with an 80s Subaru as a Winston Cup car has with a Lumina.

I mean, clearly it is awesome and Pastrami is a cool dude but there's something kind of uncanny valley going on here.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/8/22 8:55 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Confession: I loved my EA82 wagon

I would buy another EA82 wagon in a heartbeat if that entire generation of Subarus hadn't vanished from the face of the earth. It was funky, it was practical, and it went through snow and mud like nothing else. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/8/22 9:03 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

And ten forward gears!  Although thanks to range overlap there were only seven useful ones.  Memory hazy, I think I shifted L1-2-3-4-H3-4-5.

And if you had four passengers, you needed 'em.  Unloaded, though, it was educational in how important gearing vs. engine inertia was.  L1 was low enough that the engine accelerated in gear about as quickly as it would in a free-rev.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/8/22 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Mine had the three-speed auto with the single-range transfer case. 55mph was a whirling, clattering 3500rpm. But it went through snow over the top of the front bumper and mud up to the axles. And we used it as the shop tow truck as well.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
12/8/22 9:11 p.m.

That was the best in a few. I Ken's electric Audi could not do big jumps like that Subaru. Plus you always need some friends doing tricks too or it is boring. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/8/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

My Mom had two automatic front drives that I'd bought her.  They were significantly faster.

5th gear was too tall for the engine to pull, top speed was 87 in 4th at I-forget-what RPM.  The carpet was my cruise control smiley

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
12/9/22 9:41 a.m.

That bridge jump (not the one with the copter) was Hooper approved.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
12/9/22 10:55 a.m.

I am ready for a behind the scenes review. When it skips the pond it knocks the front valence off and then it is there later in the video. Then at the end they show some of the cut or practice jumps and it looks like it bends the front clip in one of them. I would like to know if the whole thing was done with 1 car and if it was how much fixing was done for that clip. 

Oh and it was totally awesome, zero complaints about any of it, the commercial was great, the base jump, the extra people. All A1, I just want to know more.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/9/22 12:55 p.m.

That was entertaining.  My favorite scene in these is still donuts around the famous LA donut shop.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RjDWX9avezy5XFIRN7H2IVpGzG6dTieBKCCS3d5S9pDCqDCNQA6b2bVd9cJgt2BP