1 2 3 4
LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
4/9/22 6:56 a.m.

The BMW E90 3-series is the first thing that comes to mind. My 335xi was a nightmare to own, but the NA models are better.

Older Mazda 3's are simple cars with manual transmissions and great handling. Look pretty decent as well.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
4/9/22 7:10 a.m.

Mk5 and Mk6 GTIs

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/9/22 7:38 a.m.

Toyota MR-S. Everyone goes nuts over the AW11 and SW20 MR-2s but the ZZW-30 is a phenomenal-driving car that most people overlook.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
4/9/22 11:58 a.m.

The Cyclone V6 powered Mustangs make 300hp and get 30mpg factory. Easy to upgrade suspension/brakes/rolling stock from other higher end trim levels. Bonus points if you can find one of the few S550 chassis cars that came with an IRS before they ushered the NA V6 out the door. They were the entry level option, and lots of them went to rental fleets, etc so they're cheap.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
4/9/22 12:04 p.m.

I'll be the obstinate curmudgeon here: I think the only car mentioned here that qualifies for the original question is the Accent. MRS, Cyclone Mustang (or any Mustang, really), 3rd gen Focus, any GTI have all been well established as enthusiast bargains and current prices reflect that. I think I'm mostly just bitter about how my brain garage has shrunk considerably secondary hyper-inflated car/truck prices of the past few years. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
4/9/22 1:39 p.m.

I have always kinda liked the Yaris hatchback. Is there anything fun that can be done upgrade them economically?

stan
stan UltraDork
4/9/22 8:25 p.m.

ZX2 -especially the S/R- fit in this thread anywhere? 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/9/22 9:13 p.m.

In reply to stan :

First gen Focus too. They were fun cars that, imo, never really got the attention and aftermarket they deserved because everyone was obsessed with, admittedly superior, Hondas and the "omg 200hp!" SRT4.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
4/10/22 8:22 p.m.

In reply to RaabTheSaab :

Show me 1-2 threads/discussions where more than one person recommends the 3rd gen ford focus (base). Everyone goes is for the ep3 si or mazda3 but I've pretty much never seen the mk3 focus recommended in any general discussion. They received praise from a handful of car journalists but enthusiasts seem to have ignored them.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/10/22 9:13 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Cobalt SS?

This. Especially a turbo one.

BlueInGreen - Jon
4/10/22 9:23 p.m.

In reply to lnlds :

Mk3 Focus is a great driving car. And there's plenty of aftermarket suspension and stuff, at least for the hatchback, thanks to the Focus ST.

The traction/stability control sucks the fun out of anything more than fun street driving though.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/10/22 9:53 p.m.
lnlds said:

Show me 1-2 threads/discussions where more than one person recommends the 3rd gen ford focus (base). Everyone goes is for the ep3 si or mazda3 but I've pretty much never seen the mk3 focus recommended in any general discussion. They received praise from a handful of car journalists but enthusiasts seem to have ignored them.

The Mazda had a better interior than the ford, that's what sold me. 

lnlds
lnlds Reader
4/10/22 10:09 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Any chance you know off the top of your head what swaps over?  I don't have one and hopefully won't have to get one, but it's definitely high on my list of backup cars if something catastrophic happens to my celica. I've seen a lot of chatter and speculation but no real conclusive information. I also couldn't find any easy front camber adjustment other than eccentric bushings for the base mk3.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Mndsm:

Nowadays they're much cheaper than a comparable gen mazda3 though, probably on par with a 1st gen 2.5 or 2nd gen 2.0. The focus does also have a tiny back seat compared to the mazda3

BlueInGreen - Jon
4/10/22 10:14 p.m.

In reply to lnlds :

I never looked too much into what factory stuff swaps from the ST, all I do remember there are some different part numbers for rear suspension between hatchback and sedan.

Edit: (As far as aftermarket stuff for the base hatch goes, lots of good options for springs, shocks, coilovers, sway bars, bushings, etc.)

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
4/10/22 10:19 p.m.

In reply to lnlds :

Ok, fair enough on the focus part. I was thinking of those niche journalist articles. 

stan
stan UltraDork
4/10/22 10:51 p.m.
lnlds said:

I really liked my Gen3 Focus. Bought new (it was the only one on the lot with the manual), I had it for 5 years and it was much nicer riding than my wife's Mazda 3. 40 mpg occasionally was another plus.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/10/22 11:11 p.m.

In reply to rattlecan :

I differ from your definition of classic.  
   There are a whole slew of high dollar cars out there that depreciate like crazy while being an excellent value. Big high dollar cars like MB. BMW, Jaguar, etc. 

They often can be found cheaper than those economy  cars you mentioned.  The reason for that depreciation may have little to do with their mechanical condition but everything to do with the cost of repairs at the dealership. Bring it in for an oil change and it starts at $375 and is often well over $1000 with little more done than you can do for less than $50 in the driveway.  
    Parts instead of heading to the dealership you should go to Rock Auto. Or places like that.  Join a club and find out who has good used parts. Often sitting untouched because the brainless way is to go to the dealership.  Or you have to go to a few places before you find the deals. 
   A lot of us will get a car cheap because it's scruffy, needs a cleaning, and polish. Plus has a few broken bits.   Sometimes we come across one not running that we can buy for scrap prices and use that for spares. 
   Think outside of the box of cheap.  For a really good deal.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/10/22 11:58 p.m.

^^^^this. I know a welder with an Audi A6 4.2 coupe. It had some relatively minor stuff wrong with it, and the dealer wanted over $10k from the former owner to make it right. Welder dude bought it cheap, fixed it for about $600 worth of parts and some elbow grease. It's his daily driver, and has actually increased in value while he's had it. 

Edit: Along similar lines, when I was into BMWs there was a time during which I noticed that for a given generation almost all the 3, 5 and 6 series  were selling for comparable prices. It was pretty ironic given the difference in initial costs.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/11/22 8:20 a.m.

Prices are definitely driven as much by how many people want to own one as they are by how good the car actually is. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/11/22 8:31 a.m.

2005?  Last of the R53 or R52 (convertible) first generation MINIs.  Fun cars, pretty cheap to buy - especially if you're ok with a bit of a project, and really not that difficult to work on once you learn the quirks.  The 2005-06 were the best years for the hardtop R53 anyway.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/22 8:45 a.m.
stan said:

ZX2 -especially the S/R- fit in this thread anywhere? 

This came up sort of local recent. Other than the wrong rear bumper, this ZX2 looks good  and could be a "value", asking $2.5k

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1180371856047652/?ref=facebook_story_share

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/11/22 9:03 a.m.

A clean '05+ B15 Sentra SpecV is a forgotten fun toy.

Agreed on K24 Civic Sis and 350Z

Mazdaspeed 3, if you can actually find a clean one.

Cobalt SS-TC Sedan, if you can find one at all

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/11/22 9:17 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The SS sedan is a big ask, I believe the turbo sedan was only made for one year. I just missed a $5000 SS coupe last month. Seller was very rural and it was gone before I could get to it.

The first gen Focus is especially nice. IIRC you could get a 2.3L in the later year cars that was within spitting distance of the SVT motor, but ran on regular gas.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/11/22 10:09 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

^^^^this. I know a welder with an Audi A6 4.2 coupe. It had some relatively minor stuff wrong with it, and the dealer wanted over $10k from the former owner to make it right. Welder dude bought it cheap, fixed it for about $600 worth of parts and some elbow grease. It's his daily driver, and has actually increased in value while he's had it. 

Edit: Along similar lines, when I was into BMWs there was a time during which I noticed that for a given generation almost all the 3, 5 and 6 series  were selling for comparable prices. It was pretty ironic given the difference in initial costs.

Well put.  People get a fixed idea that they can only afford••••• and fail to take advantage of  others ego's.  Fancy cars like we've mentioned depreciate so much while cheap cars hold value.   So as you say you can buy a fancy car for the same price as a cheap one. Sometimes cheaper. 
OK maybe the passenger electric  seat doesn't heat properly and the leather seat has a tear in it.  The cheap version. Doesn't have those features plus haven't you ever heard of super glue?  As good as it is at gluing your fingers together it's even better at fixing rips or tears in leather.  

Finally that imported  luxury car probably was own by  a successful businessman who knew how to properly maintain it.   And treated it like the prize possession  it was.  
 Than means low miles and easy usage with good maintenance.   

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/11/22 10:51 a.m.

Love the suggestions here. Especially simple economy cars. I'll add Fiesta with the turbo I3.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tFeQ01VjFRdACDsSUUtRSpCDNPV8ohC68UUQrCY8juenpWBOPVY9pOOZnqM7ep9l