1 2
Steve
Steve New Reader
5/22/22 8:03 p.m.

Current GRM trifecta is an 06 Sienna (mom-wagon, long trip hauler), 00 LX470 (tow rig, motorcycle hauler), and an 03 Vibe GT (my commuter, the car I drive the most). 

I enjoy driving the Vibe a great deal, but the reality is its pretty tinny, kind of rattly, and a little unrefined. It sings a good song, but it's pretty ugly (just because it's a Vibe), and isn't the nicest place to be for long periods of time. 

I've realized recently that I'm a grown ass adult, who makes some decent cash, and it might be nice to have something that is just a bit more pleasant to be in for longer trips (second car for road trips) and a car that presents well to vendors, customers, and our exec team when needed. I also want something that isn't soul crushing, can get out of it's own way, and can boogie a bit in the turns if needed. Something with a decent enough aftermarket that there is an enthusiast network to diagnose problems, and maybe have a few mods along the way as parts fail. But, not a project, I am wanting to focus on building out the LX, so this one is less of a sports mobile, but more like a cruiser that's fun.

I started looking for a replacement, and I started down a rabbit hole that started with this thing:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3158182867784403/

I have owned a few VAG cars in the past, nothing past MK3, and really never had any issues. So it got me thinking, big boot, 6 speed, seems like folks like them, but then started reading about the HPFP switchover in mid 2008, and realized this one has the old setup, then got thinking about mileage, and maintenance, and why the hell do I want a manual anyway when there is a DSG available in other trims, blah blah. But, this started the train of thought. 

So, what does the GRM hive mind like for a full size wagon (like that Passat) that are reliable, comfortable, and not boring? I don't have a lot of experience with newer cars, but my past full sizers (not all wagons) were: 

740 wagon, turbo, manual

940 sedan, turbo, converted to manual

740 wagon, turbo, auto

Fundamentally, I just don't know what's out there. I was poking around on the web, and I saw that the Passat's can come in TDI with DSG, and wow that would be quite the combo, but again, reliability long term? No idea. Maybe someone has an opinion? 

I don't mind a little work, but I do need something that I can work on, or learn how to work on. I just don't want to be chasing an electrical gremlin every week. 

Is there anything at all in the Japanese world that has the bank vault feel of the Euro options? That's my biggest gripe with say an Outback, or a Legacy, or a Forester. The other is that there are about a million on the road here in the PNW, which you know, tells you something, but we all get it here on the forum, we aren't really all wanting something that everyone else has, are we? Maybe I need to get over that. 

At one point, I was on the Prius train, but with fuel prices where they are, their private party values have tracked in the same direction. Great appliance, but I'm not paying that much for one, and I think they are just a little too boring for me, even still. (sorry everyone, I know they are loved)

Core values for this ride, in no particular order:

• Safety
  • Get me home reliability (small issues okay, big unannouced failures no good)
  • Robust parts availability and an active driver base for diganostic help
  • Fit/finish/nice place to be
  • Backseat space
  • Boot space

Thanks everyone, appreciate any help y'all can provide, I'm definitely in head space of "I don't know what I don't know" here. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/22/22 8:29 p.m.

Best friend has been driving a manual E39 wagon for years now. It's fun, relaible, cheap, available and practical.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/22/22 8:35 p.m.

B7 Audi A4 Avant. 6-speed manual, 2.0 Turbo, real AWD, great fit and finish. If it's not big enough, A6 Avant 3.2.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/22/22 9:16 p.m.

Toyota Venza.  Sure, its an SUV but a little lower than the Highlander and a little more Camry-wagon-like. 

Sample asking 11.9k w/ 116k can seem a little high but still asking $8.9k for a rough 238k sample so there is re-sale value there.  

Just an outlier and overlooked model.  Probably too boring for your tastes...I get it.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/22/22 9:27 p.m.

Venza is boring for sure.  Also I have never sat in a vehicle that is so tall but also has so little headroom.  Its fascinating.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/22/22 9:28 p.m.

Buick Regal wagon (TourX)?  But, im sure they are not yet in the sub $10k 

alphahotel
alphahotel New Reader
5/22/22 9:46 p.m.

I am thinking of selling my 2006 Audi A6 Avant if you have any interest, though I'm not sure we are geographically compatible (I am near Lancaster PA).  180k, I am 2nd owner (owned since 2009, 30k), dealer and then indy-mechanic maintained.  I love the car as a highway cruiser, I used to put 15-18k a year on it but that stopped in 2020 and I don't see it starting again. 

It would be well within your budget.

I can provide more details if you like.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/23/22 7:37 a.m.

Golf or Jetta wagon, provided it doesn't have a turbo engine.  Our 2.5 has been shockingly reliable and a wonderful appliance. 180,000-ish miles currently. I fully intend to hit 200k and keep going until the autotrans eventually pukes.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/23/22 7:47 a.m.

How about a Ford Flex?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/23/22 9:09 a.m.
buzzboy said:

Best friend has been driving a manual E39 wagon for years now. It's fun, relaible, cheap, available and practical.

As the OP seems to like manual Volvo wagons (and who doesn't?) I feel like anything else is going to feel like a step backwards.  The E39 is special, available with a manual, and you can find a very nice one and still be under budget.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
5/23/22 9:52 a.m.

W211 diesel E class? Still inline 6, and I believe pre-"Bluetec." Available in wagon form, and a friend in Texas says he average 43 mpg on a long highway run.

iansane
iansane Dork
5/23/22 10:33 a.m.

I have a b5 s4 avant and absolutely love it. But it's definitely not a fullsize. If you're wanting to stay VAG I'd suggest a c5 allroad striped of all it's...'allroad'ness. Mainly because they looks really slick with the cladding painted body color. If you want something newer then the b7 avants really look slick.

I flipped an e39 touring recently and even without the v8 or manual it was a really, really nice crusier. Like, so much so that I considered keeping it.

Steve
Steve New Reader
5/23/22 11:50 a.m.

I've gone back and forth on the E39 train for a long time. Was really close at one point to picking up a 530, but went a different direction. Seems like there are two camps; 

1. greatest cruiser I've ever had
  2. burn it to the ground

Seems like to get #1, I'd need to pay a hell of a premium, but yes, they are gorgeous cars. I had an E36 for some time, and besides it being a bit clapped out when I got it in my hands, I loved it. Loved it enough to drive it non stop from Florida to NY in my younger days just because I could. 

The wagon with the stir stick seem almost impossible to find (at least out by me), but I have also opened the door (slightly) to a sedan, with my other half. We'd like a wagon, but we also have a minivan and a giant SUV, so it isn't specifically needed. And really, an E39 just oozes cool, even better as a 540/6, but y'know, fuel and stuff. 

Seems to be a few people chiming in with EU options, have they become less problematic than the internet says?

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
5/23/22 1:05 p.m.

I'm in the Audi camp too, currently have  a 2014 Allroad, it's been a great car, gets 30+ mpg, 8 speed auto trans and plenty of room inside, handles well and is smooth and quiet. A premium car all around.....sub $10K might be tough, but an A4 Avant would hit the same buttons for maybe less money.

Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) HalfDork
5/23/22 1:11 p.m.

I recently bought what was probably the cheapest 2008 535xi wagon in the US (for good reason, had a bunch of electrical issues and is high mileage) for my wife to drive during the winter. Despite all the issues it drove 4 hours home fine; I'm hoping to catch up a bit on maintenance, make the panoramic roof un-openable and see how long it lasts. Not sure I trust it more than our 1998 Lexus GS400 in terms of reliability but if it's reliable enough I'll turn it into the winter driver/highway cruiser. 

This one is an auto unfortunately; I've started looking at manual swaps but gonna try to hold off for now 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/23/22 1:26 p.m.

Full size?

GM B-body.

The Oberklasse - calling all full-size luxury car lovers. | Page 4 | VW  Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
5/23/22 7:42 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Full size?

GM B-body.

The Oberklasse - calling all full-size luxury car lovers. | Page 4 | VW  Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

Lt1 for the win or just about any engine for the win cause you can put just about anything into a b body 

old_
old_ HalfDork
5/23/22 11:30 p.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Unfortunately the diesel and wagon combo was not available in the states. Diesel was sedan only. 

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
5/24/22 10:23 a.m.

In reply to old_ :

hmm I just looked around and I guess you're right, that's a shame. You could get a diesel R 320 if strange wagon-meets-minvan looks are your thing..

Steve
Steve New Reader
5/24/22 4:41 p.m.

That is a shame. There was a youtube video about a guy putting together a TDI DSG wagon, and whoop, that would be a treat. 

Bummer

Does anyone have any real experience with the fit/finish/quality comparison between something in the mid/late 2000's from both a Euro automaker and a Japanese one? Thinking something like comparing a Passat (or a Jetta) wagon to a Legacy/Outback. I drove a Forester for a bit of a time (gen1), and it was fine, but not large enough and a little rumbly on the highway. I imagine they only got better with time, but I haven't spent any time in the newer ones. I don't like that there are a dozen of them on my block, but I also like that there are a dozen of them on my block for a reason. 

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
5/24/22 9:51 p.m.

I will say my regular old Legacy with a a 2.5 and 5 spd has been rock solid. The motor is boring though. I wanted to try a open source tune to see if it would have any effect but you can't do that in CA any more. Throw on a faster steering box from a GT or WRX, lower springs and sway bars and it will likely entertain in the curves while still road tripping. I see 2005-2009 Legacy wagons under 10k all the time, but with mileage.

Hey, I just noticed, I am finally a GRM Dork!

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
5/26/22 6:35 a.m.

Does the BMW 5 Series Wagon with a manual transmission actually exist? My AutoTrader search turned up 0 in the country. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
5/26/22 7:31 a.m.
dannyp84 said:

In reply to old_ :

hmm I just looked around and I guess you're right, that's a shame. You could get a diesel R 320 if strange wagon-meets-minvan looks are your thing..

Do not do any Mercedes Diesels after the 0m606 lol. 

But, a gas w211 Mercedes wagon should do you well. 

I really think a Ford Flex is my favorite suggestion so far.

Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) HalfDork
5/26/22 8:46 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

This is off the top of my head (might be wrong) but I think I read that ~240 of them were imported to the states. So technically yes they exist but good luck finding one. 

Steve
Steve New Reader
5/26/22 9:14 a.m.

Not a wagon, but it does seem like it has considerable boot space, is there any opinion about a 3rd gen Lexus GS? Wouldn't have been on my radar but noticed that they have decent sloping roof line which makes for a hell of a trunk. 

On the Flex;

My Dad has had several, he loves them. To hit the price point however, they need to be up there in miles, which is..okay? I know basically nothing about Fords from that era, but have ridden in his several times and did like it. My wife hates the styling, but to me, it's a modern box on box Volvo. I like that it's odd. 

Just not sure what to look for really. Seems like they would be hard on depreciation as well. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QgzX5MUvX0DkQT9oaUyvMz5M8pTHTV2eOjEtm0ul5Tdz9GDS5xlsfhRDTwR08Cgo