1 2 3
Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
2/3/15 10:59 p.m.

Hello all,

I've bought myself a 1969 Chevy C10 sight unseen over the internets. Here it is:

I'm planning on driving it from Arkansas straight north to my home in Winnipeg, Canada this Friday.

What are some things I should be packing with me for my trip? I've never owned something older than 1989.
Here's my list so far:
-standard wrench set
-standard socket set
-phillips and slotted screwdrivers
-sidecutters
-all the vicegrips
-duct tape
-zip ties
-hose clamps
-fuses (what type would this truck take? glass fuses?)
-lengths of wire
-jumper cables
-knife/razor blades

Once I get there I was going to pick up:
-jerry can
-oil, brake fluid, atf, coolant -spare tire and jack if it doesn't have one

Any spare parts I should stock up on? HEI module? Fuel filter? Electric fuel pump and some fuel hose? The seller says it's got a 305 engine and it clearly has a newer Edelbrock carb on it.

Any other tips or advice?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
2/3/15 11:06 p.m.

AAA card?

Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
2/3/15 11:12 p.m.

Don't have one, and I believe there are time restrictions on using one that was just purchased. Possibly too late for that. I should have thought of that though.

EDIT: looks like it's a 48 hr wait period, I'll give them a call in the morning (CAA here in Canada)

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
2/3/15 11:18 p.m.

First of all, cool truck!!!

Map out a preferred route and an alternate in case it's not freeway capable.

Check the weather along those routes and get a weather app and My Radar (to check rain/snow) while headed back.

Although GPS is good, might be worth spending some time and finding auto parts stores along the way. Practically any chain would do as it's probably the most common parts found.

Maybe plugs/plug wires, belts, hoses, etc? Or at least some type of hose patch kit?

Probably want to pick up a plastic box (once you get there) to store everything in.

Might be worth grabbing a Haynes manual since you're not familiar with the truck.

And take lots of pictures and keep lots of voice notes as it'll be an adventure you'll want to remember!!

-Rob

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
2/3/15 11:23 p.m.

BC brand Powdered Aspirin. Long time in the seat, and that one ain't quite a Recaro. Even if she doesn't break, so much time in the saddle is going to make you hurt.

Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
2/3/15 11:26 p.m.

Thanks, yes I forgot to mention I have borrowed a GPS unit and bought a power splitter to run my dash cam, GPS, and charge my phone (I'll run a fused wire from the battery if the stock cig lighter can't run that many amps)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/4/15 12:49 a.m.

New coil, belts, radiator hoses.

daeman
daeman Reader
2/4/15 3:11 a.m.

Fuel hose and filter. Something you can patch the radiator with. Brake fluid. Scotch locks/wire splices.

At least you know it runs... Though why it was running while they took an engine bay shot I'll never know

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
2/4/15 4:56 a.m.

Yea, I kinda go along with bringing patience. If it's not fun doing 75 on the superslab, back it down to 50-60 on the side roads, and just enjoy the long ride. It's a basic truck, nothing much goes wrong with them. At least not that renders them undriveable.

Few hundred dollars cash in order to replace something that turns out to be truly bad. Be it an alternator a radiator or what have you. Though I doubt you'll need it.

Check your fluids every gas/break stop.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/4/15 4:57 a.m.

Good flashlight and maybe a head mounted version so you can still work with both hands.

Do you have a solid understanding of how your Canuck Cell phone will work in 'Merica and what the rates will be for calls and or data?

logdog
logdog SuperDork
2/4/15 5:04 a.m.

I always pack a tire plug kit and 12 v air compressor. Especially if the spare tire situation is unknown.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
2/4/15 5:23 a.m.

Bring a length of fuel hose and a squeeze bottle of trans fluid and rear gear fluid. If there is a leak in either the trans or the rear end, it will show up on long highway runs and you want to be able to crawl under there and squeeze some more fluid in. Gaffers wire. Soda can to patch exhaust leak. Starting fluid and carb cleaner. If it no longer has a choke, it won't start once it gets up into the cold. Remember this truck has never seen Canada cold. Make sure there is enough anti freeze in the cooling system.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
2/4/15 5:42 a.m.
tr8todd wrote: Remember this truck has never seen Canada cold.

Worse yet, it has never felt Winnipeg cold. That is a different kind of cold.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/4/15 5:52 a.m.

Good luck on your trip. Should be interesting, especially in winter.

gunner
gunner Reader
2/4/15 6:18 a.m.

Don't forget about the GRM road assist list. Depends on where in Arkansas you may travel through my AO on the way.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
2/4/15 6:44 a.m.

Watch this from hotrod magazine. I thought they had a lot of good tips like plumbing multiple fuel filters in series and taking them out as they clog.

XLR99
XLR99 Reader
2/4/15 7:09 a.m.

As usual, I have nothing constructive or helpful to add, but this has the makings of an epic journey! Definitely take pics and post a road trip thread!

Due to the aforementioned cold factor, new battery before leaving if it's questionable; cold weather gear, wiper blades/orange washer fluid, and whatever else may fail/freeze due to coldness.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/4/15 7:15 a.m.

Spare headlights and maybe other bulbs.

Easy enough to find a six-lug GM pattern wheel/tire to toss in the bed plus a couple of fix-a-flat cans.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
2/4/15 7:27 a.m.

Plan a route that has a lot of FLAPS. Chevy stuff is so easy to find it shouldn't be difficult.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild HalfDork
2/4/15 7:28 a.m.

Lots of WD 40 or blaster or whatever your favorite unstuck fluid is. Arkansas may not be the rust belt but 45 years will stick almost anything.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/4/15 7:28 a.m.
Run_Away wrote: Hello all, I've bought myself a 1969 Chevy C10 sight unseen over the internets. Here it is:

Nice score!

-fuses (what type would this truck take? glass fuses?)

Yep, they're glass fuses.

It would have had points stock; looks like it's got a HEI in there now, so a spare module (and spark plug wires) wouldn't hurt.

Agree that you'll want something to deal with comfort on a long trip. Mine starts to get uncomfortable after an hour in the cab. Might want to just get out every so often to stretch your legs.

Mike
Mike HalfDork
2/4/15 7:35 a.m.

I'll add the suggestion to reassess the needs once you get the truck. Most parts shops in the area should be able to support you well.

Mike
Mike HalfDork
2/4/15 7:37 a.m.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
2/4/15 7:47 a.m.

Nice truck and good luck with the trip.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
2/4/15 7:50 a.m.

Yes, glass fuses. Make sure its throwing good heat before you get too far. At least a new thermostat is cheap and easy if needed.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xqc5myhfzp4szYXip4IAhDpSWtufquuCMVDnFEyLV8WpvAl9GNO2Ct1WmMeg6IU5