RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
12/23/17 5:08 p.m.

well... molasses. laugh

I was doing this indoors, so I was concerned about the fumes of electrolysis, and I can't stand the smell of vinegar. So, I opted for a sweeter method.

Grandma's baking molasses doesn't work; you need the feed grade stuff that still has the phosphates in it. 50lbs of it wasn't expensive, compared to other rust removers available.

Onto the workpiece. It's a crusty block, that was "left in storage for a few years".

I pulled all the freeze plugs, oil gallery plugs, etc. and hung the main caps on coat hangers, and stood the block on end, in a 32 gallon plastic trash can. tossed the main cap screws on the end of the block, too.

See you in a couple weeks....

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
12/23/17 5:16 p.m.

Through the use of magic, it's 18 days later, and we've got MOLD!

I pulled everything out and scrubbed and scrubbed, with some degreaser (might've helped if I did that before the molasses bath).

The front of the block is still pretty crusty. I'm wondering if there may have been air bubbles trapped, as the front was at the bottom of the barrel.

Everything went back in, for a couple-few more weeks. Gotta see how well this works. I'm impressed, so far.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/23/17 5:27 p.m.

Nice. I hope Robbie's molasses project turns out as good.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
12/23/17 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Unfortunately, he used baking molasses, so I don't think he'll have much success. I mentioned that in his thread, but I hope he doesn't get discouraged from this method.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/23/17 6:21 p.m.

Didn't realize there are different kinds. Good to know.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill UberDork
12/24/17 1:47 a.m.

That is amazing!  I cant wait to see how it looks after another soak.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/24/17 3:04 p.m.

Wow who knew and I have that same block sitting in my grosh....kool

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
12/24/17 4:09 p.m.

Yeah, mine wasn't that good. I did post pictures after molasses, but didn't post after the vinegar, which was more effective than baking molasses. I'll get them uploaded and bump the other thread. 

But I can vouch that baking molasses doesn't really work.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/25/17 4:23 p.m.

RMP.....'feed grade' like from where you buy square bales of alfalfa ,range cubes and sweet feed?

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
12/25/17 9:11 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Indeed. I got mine at Waukee Mills, by hitting teh Googles for "feed mill near me" 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/26/17 2:42 p.m.

RMP, besides the 32gal container and the syrup what else is there?

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
12/26/17 4:28 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Just water, mixed ~10:1 (water:molasses). I ended up mixing it about 8:1, though.

Then you'll need some rusty parts to play with. Coat hangers come in handy, too. Rubber gloves, if you don't want ask yourself later, "Why am I sticky?"

I didn't do it beforehand, but I should have degreased e'rthang. The block appeared clean, but the were spots that I suspect still had some grease/oil residue.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
12/26/17 6:14 p.m.

So of the things molasses has going for it, there are two;  low cost, no revolting smell and no toxic fumes.  I mean three...

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
12/26/17 6:28 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

And no qualms about dumping it in your neighbor's back yard, when you're done.

At least until you see his lawn growing lush....

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/26/17 9:24 p.m.
RealMiniParker said:

In reply to paranoid_android :

And no qualms about dumping it in your neighbor's back yard, when you're done.

At least until you see his lawn growing lush....

That was my next question...what to do with the 'soup' ........way kool i gotz plenty o'yard wink

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
12/26/17 10:00 p.m.

that's really cool, i'll have to try that

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/16/18 8:38 p.m.

Update, 43 days. Main cap hardware was about the same, with more pitting revealed, so I didn't include them in pics.

I just did a quick, easy rinse with the hose. No scrubbing this time, but the bottom looks a LOT better.

The front is still a little brown. I put it back in the barrel front end up, this time around. Let's see if it gets better.

Definitely must degrease, before dipping in molasses. I can see spots that were from the first go-round that have disappeared this time.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
1/16/18 8:57 p.m.

That looks excellent! 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/17/18 3:39 a.m.

Please be careful with molasses.

Wave of rushing molasses kills and maims:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zzNJvji43IVIHrfCzmvnsKoFcWqdwFNUic3gWhRIWxmrdiLzagto0biHm0rQTrSx