1 2 3
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/31/24 9:37 a.m.

I had a friend growing up that somehow got into anime and of course one of the first movies I saw as Akira. I remember it being nuts as a kid but liking it a lot, and that led me down the path of getting into anime. I haven't seen it in its entirety in a very long time. After that, it was Ninja Scroll, Ghost in a Shell, a bunch of Americanized translations of Japanese cartoons like Macross (Robotech) Ronin Warriors, and others. Then came the Studio Ghibli (basically Japan's Disney) classics like My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and more. Once Toonami on the Cartoon Network got going, I got into other shows like Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Cowboy Bebop. 

About that last one... Cowboy Bebop still stands out as my favorite anime series. Every episode is great, as is the movie, and I love the universe. I had high hopes for the live action series, and I thought it was alright, but I never finished it once it was announced that it was canceled. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/31/24 11:34 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Anyone else ever watch Vampire Hunter D? I remember walking to the video store for that one. 

I have a VHS of Vampire Hunter D. I had to spend months looking for it because it was super hard to get at the time and already considered legendary. I also have Wings of the Honneamise on VHS. Thats still a beautiful movie to this day.

If you're into modern anime I'm finding Frieren: Beyond Journey's End to be one of the best animes I've watched since FMA Brotherhood.

Weirdly my 9 year old daughter has developed an interest in The Apothecary Diaries, despite not understanding exactly what is happening with the class structure depicted. It's also pretty good.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
4/3/24 1:45 p.m.

Anyone here seen the 1997 version of "Berserk"?  I tried finding it on Interlibrary Loan and all I got was a hit on Laserdisk.  What can you tell us about the difference between it and the later (2016?) version?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/3/24 2:31 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Last time I googled Vampire Hunter D, I found the full movie on YouTube. Didn’t get a chance to watch it, though. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yp62QLhkIgarQW3MLw8Ni0xJjelIPAuoHGGtIrIjsQD7aOkJ3zk4CyrTxSvr0vnM