barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/4/22 4:29 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

If my forearm is parallel to the ground, hand vertical, angling my wrist so my fingers point down is painful especially if I'm supporting any weight. It's super great, especially for my guitars. 

I remembered we can do pictures!

no problem:

problem:

barefootcyborg5000
4/4/22 4:38 p.m.

I'm thinking the closer I can get my grip to perpendicular to the barrel the better. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
4/4/22 5:21 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Yep, prone grip.   Here is an ERGO:

Here is MKM (whole picture is tilted, but basically a vertical grip):

There are others. Search prone AR grip and look at pictures to get a good start.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
4/4/22 6:38 p.m.

I much prefer a vertical pistolgrip with thumbshelf, they are better for solid and comfortable hold for precise shooting. Have the Masterpiece Arms EVG (Enhanced Vertical Grip) on both Savage 10 in MDT TAC21 chassis and new Sig Cross just got in (which is replacing the Savage.) Stock A2 style grips are too small for me as well, the larger diameter and front shelf edge of the Masterpiece Arms EVG get my trigger finger at proper position on the trigger, it's way too close otherwise. The EVG does have to be fitted and clearanced to the firearm, plus for non-bolt guns the hole needs to be drilled for safety selector spring.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
4/4/22 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

Did you do the .277 Fury?

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
4/4/22 7:02 p.m.

.308 Win... Have ammo and am setup to reload 308. It's also the replacement for the .308 Savage... half the weight and should be just as accurate/precise to shoot. Only thing I like better on the Savage is the Accutrigger... Sig trigger is not bad, but mushy with slight creep in comparison to the absolute tight break with zero creep on the Savage. My Marlin 30AS with Wild West trigger is better trigger than the Sig Cross... right with the Savage.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/5/22 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

We have a Mark 2 .22 with a bull barrel and the Accutrigger and I agree it's quite good.

Bought a Kel Tec Sub 2000

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/7/22 9:02 a.m.

New IWI Tavor X95 in 5.56 with ordered yesterday. Been wanting one of these since they came out. Tried one last fall and it was even better than I expected. Extremely flat shooting with a very soft recoil. Very very accurate and easy to handle.  My wife being of small stature really liked it!!!   I really like the position of the mag release. For me everything is very intuitive in terms of the controles. The trigger is excellent and that is saying a lot considering it is a bullpup. Very excited!!!   Going to see about an optic but I think I will use it with the iron sites at the start. 

barefootcyborg5000
4/7/22 9:34 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

A buddy just picked up an IWI AR a few weeks ago. It's a really nice piece for the money. I'd not heard of them before that. 

In other news, I ordered that vertical Ergo grip posted above. If anyone is looking for anything specific, Primary Arms is running a 12% code for everything on site. Even the stuff already on sale. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/22 10:18 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

do those take standard AR mags?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/7/22 11:20 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to dean1484 :

do those take standard AR mags?

I actually am not exactly sure. From what I know the answer is yes but you really need to test specific mags. This was a bit of an impulse purchase on my part in that I did not research it to death and then purchase. I really liked the look and feel and how it runs and how easy it was to be accurate with it. It just falls in to my hands and is completely intuitive to me.  

A bull pup is not for everyone but I happen to really like it. A friend of mine just can not run these types of firearms well. I don't know if it is an ergonomics thing as he is a big guy or if it is a case where he seems to connect with older bolt action rifles and this is just not comfortable with them.  What ever it is he just can not connect with bull pups.  Kind of like me and revolvers. For some reason I am all left thumbs with revolvers. Don't know why I just am. I find them frustrating in that I have to think about the operation of the gun. They are not intuitive to me. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/10/22 1:13 p.m.

Lefties don't do well with a lot of bull pups due to casings ejected into the face but no first hand experience myself.  S.I.L. is a left handed Marine.  That's probably the start of a good joke.

"Left handed Marine walks into a bar....."

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
4/10/22 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

It is much more common (now) to be able to be reconfigured for left hand eject, and several are a little-less-bullpup to still be able to eject in front of your nose for switching shoulder to shoulder.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/10/22 4:45 p.m.

I was at my local shop today and the FFL that I deal with had a x95. I was able to try several pre ban mags and all fit and functioned just fine.  So yes AR mags work fine from my now personal experience.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/10/22 8:44 p.m.

Does anyone have any experience with a HK USP Expert? It looks like something that would like but at the price point it is not something I want to purchase with out knowing more. (I was offered one at what I think is a very good price. ) 

A funny side bar to my X95 purchase. By ordering the X95 through my FFL instead of getting the one off the floor I saved $100.   Don't understand other than the FFL told me not to get the floor model and have him order one. As we were talking the place got busy so I did not get a chance to ask why. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
4/12/22 2:47 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I had an HK USP Expert (40cal). Really nice pistol to shoot- the first 3 rounds I shot from mine were in a single .40 cal sized hole on bullseye... had to double check to make sure. Love the match trigger and how HK precision designs everything without excess force/energy... easy to cock/rack slide and very smooth operating. For pistols I put them above Sig in their engineering - HK USP line is pretty much one of the best engineered non-custom pistol in operation and manufacturing. Only thing I didn't like about it was the trigger guard - don't like backwards sloping trigger guards on a pistol, much prefer forwards sloping like on a Glock for better locking offhand fingers onto. Reason went with the USP Expert was got chance to fire the Mark 23... which was probable my favorite .45 cal handgun ever shot. Little too big and bulky though... saw a great deal on GB (not much more than a full sized Glock...) for new USP Expert which shares a whole bunch with the Mark 23, but in a more normal full sized pistol. Used it in some local IDPA events and had good time also does well at longer distances outdoors on the ranges.

Really not much into pistols compared to rifles though and ended up trading it at gunshow last year for an airgun which I wanted and was hard to find (being it was discontinued - Sig ASP20). I knew the dealer would go for the trade and probably thought I was crazy... but the HK really wasn't needed any more and I could use it to get a hard to source/no longer produced Sig ASP20. If you are getting it for anything under $1200 I'd consider that a good deal... prices now are in $1200-$1500 range it seems. The Expert is designed as a competition/target shooting pistol, like the Sig X5.

I shoot the Glock 42 as well as the HK USP Expert but it's small enough to take anywhere. The only mod I did to USP Expert was changing front sight to the USP tactical one with tritium dot, as the Expert has all black target sight setup.

stroker
stroker UberDork
4/12/22 5:48 p.m.

Anyone here with personal experience using the Mossberg Scout Rifle?

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
4/12/22 7:11 p.m.
stroker said:

Anyone here with personal experience using the Mossberg Scout Rifle?

If you are on Facebook there are several pages devoted to Scout Rifles.  One is called Jeff Cooper's Scout.

You will find many opinions about every Scout Rifle made.  Not to mention discussions about how much deviation from Cooper's concept you can go and still call it a "Scout Rifle".  (Purists say none of course)

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/12/22 11:01 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

That is what I wanted to hear!!!  Thanks!!   Do you have any issues with grip length?  I have big hands and a regular usp is about the minimum length grip that I can use.  I have hands that fit a 1911 very well.  

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
4/13/22 4:41 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

No issue with grip length (I wear Large to XL size gloves... long skinny fingers that can palm a basketball, just...) - believe the grip is a little longer than on a standard USP. Grip is slightly larger diameter than a 1911 and about as long, but not old Gen 3 Glock 20C , HK Mark 23, or Desert Eagle sized (bit too big for me).

Here's a good recent review/breakdown of the USP Expert...and you can see how large it is in hand...

Also this one showing it's one hole accuracy up close and absolutely nailing steel on target @ 100 yards... the gun practically shoots itself if you do your part... did decent at 130 yards too once hold was figured out...

Note: For his comment on the short grip length he doesn't have the jet funnel well or extended mags on his which adds noticeable length and control feel to the grip. If you are going to get a USP Expert make sure it has the jet funnel well and extended mags. Its what makes the Expert an Expert...Elite is only other one with it.

I will say the .40 S&W USP Expert is probably the one handgun I have some bit of regret in letting it go... they are next impossible to find compared to the 9mm & 45auto versions. If I ever wanted to get one again it would be pretty much impossible to source one. Have not seen one on GB in years. I'd probably just get a new slimmer grip Glock 20 though if wanted same sized pistol... 10mm is more fun to shoot than .40 S&W - if the gun has a good grip on it. Not fun at all with wrong sized grip... reason I got rid of my Glock 20C... literally couldn't handle it well. Not a problem with the 10mm round as I had a EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Match in 10mm which shot very comfortably and well. Only problem with those is an engineering/design issue... they crack frame across both sides between the mag release button and magazine when shooting real 10mm loads.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/15/22 10:22 p.m.

If anyone is ever in the neck of my woods and wants to experience a variety of firearms and learn some shooting things, I can probably help.  I had a neighbor that had never shot a pistol ever hitting bullseyes in one day at 7 yards with various pistols.  My wife shoots better than many that carry for a living.  It's like driving fast.  It is a skill and getting help pays big dividends.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/26/22 8:08 a.m.

I ware glasses and it has always been a pain to deal with sites and depth of field.  I have always been a iron or scope guy but these things are a game changer. Takes a little bit of getting use to as you can now look at the target with both eyes and the depth of field causes the housing to disappear and you are left with a floating dot. It is the best thing. Really is a game changer for us old people that need reading glasses and astigmatism. 

After trying a bunch that were in the case (thank you Cabelas) this came home.  I have a Mete SFx on the way that I will be pairing with this.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/26/22 8:22 a.m.

I also learned that Cabelas (Bass ProShops to the rest of the world) will match prices and in this case they were $20 less than the best I found on line.

Cabelas has never been really competitive in the past and I did not know that they did this now.  Now they just need to get some stock that I actually want to purchase.  They do have one cool thing and that is what I call the Museum. It is a separate room with all old stuff. Things like M1s and lots of European stuff (all for sale). Stuff going back to the late 1890s. And a lot of WWI and WWII. I am into the old stuff so this is so cool.  I could spend 10s of thousands of dollars in that room. There is something about a old boom stick that the new stuff just does not have. They are not better if you are going by the numbers.  It is the same with older cars. Low tech is fun in its own way.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/26/22 8:42 a.m.

Oh forgot to mention that the USP Expert is in the grey area of MA law. My FFL would be ok with it as a sub model of a USP but I elected to pass for now until I can get more clarification.  The opposite of this is true for the X95. It is specifically listed as ok where as the other Bullpups are not.   Considering it's looks and the attention it gets I keep a copy of MA law in the case with it.   Speaking of that I will be looking for a 1 MOA red dot for the X95. I will most likely have to order it as they are not as common as 2 MOA and up.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/26/22 9:13 a.m.

Are primers any easier to find than they were a few months ago?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
34om5mx65lEqu9Usu3zZ955HC25Vm4wjtHcXdenetol0KvJJpOa9QVixC5OKMBjG