1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/22 1:06 a.m.

DEVO was taylor made for kids like me that didn't fit in. Through Being Cool was our anthem.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/11/22 7:47 a.m.

So you were a dozen or two young alien types?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/11/22 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

He definitely seems like the type to step out

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/22 10:49 a.m.

When I worked in the bike shop, every morning the manager would walk over to the boom box and press play. And it always started with this:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/22 2:48 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Duke :

He definitely seems like the type to step out

I, in fact, DO step out, and dare to repair.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/11/22 3:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

It really was a good time. "Alternative music" was on the boil with so many great bands exploding onto the national scene: Soundgarden, Nirvana, Fishbone, Living Colour, Dead Milkmen, Bad Brains, Primus, etc., etc. I saw The B-52s play in the field next to my dorm–they came back from NYC to play our homecoming. I think They Might Be Giants played at the student center. Mojo Nixon personally insulted me from the stage–totally worth it. 

Yeah, TMBG played UC San Diego in 1990 while I was there.  Alas, I missed that free concert somehow.

Our college radio station didn't have a transmitter or didn't have a license, or something.  You could hear it in some of the dorms (not mine), but basically nowhere else.  Fortunately we had 91X broadcasting from Mexico and could sometimes get KROQ from LA.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
8/11/22 4:02 p.m.

Devo is horrible. Sounds like when my 6yo figured out the keyboard could make sounds other than "piano".

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/11/22 4:05 p.m.
llysgennad said:

Devo is horrible. Sounds like when my 6yo figured out the keyboard could make sounds other than "piano".

Bite your tongue.

Spudboys rule.

David S. Wallens
8/11/22 6:00 p.m.

Devolution is real. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/22 8:40 p.m.

Half a goon and half a god.

David S. Wallens
8/12/22 12:12 a.m.

This doc (staring my friends smiley) captures the late-'80s/early-'90s Athens scene and brings it up to modern times.

David S. Wallens
8/12/22 12:18 a.m.

And a PS to the above video:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IJRBNIelx7NXnVQB4dlnlNRoVkYKLPyFY09gAWK2fpykAsxasUD0BqXUpxEI06Uo