Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
8/29/12 7:24 p.m.

I know it sucks, but im trying to apply online for a job that only allows internet explorer to fill out the online forms. For some reason my computer will connect to the internet fine with google chrome, etc, but not internet explorer. Im sure its something silly, but does anyone have a suggesting of what to check to maybe fix it?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
8/29/12 7:28 p.m.

What version of windows? Is everything up to date?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
8/29/12 7:31 p.m.

Try downloading IE 9 ?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
8/29/12 7:34 p.m.

Also, are you on always-on broadband or dial-up?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork

Had malware on your computer in the past? Only other thing I can think to check is IE's proxy settings.

donalson
donalson PowerDork

I would start with this...

on the menu bar > tools > internet options > Connections setup (tab at the top) > make sure nothing is in the dial-up and VPN settings > click LAN settings at bottom > make sure auto detect is checked > make sure proxy server is NOT checked.

if it is checked you prob want to get malware bytes and spybot search and destroy to work in safe mode before going further... some maleware likes to play with that stuff... and nothing is good about it.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
8/29/12 8:54 p.m.

You might try using the IE Tab extension for Chrome, which in effect spoofs sites into thinking they're being viewed through IE rather than Chrome.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
8/30/12 2:40 a.m.

Its windows 7, and yeah its up to date as far as I know. I do scan the computer occasionally. Its a broadband connection, not dialup. It worked at first when i was using it, but when i went to go to a different page (gmail) it said it was no longer connected to the internet. I will check the settings and see if anything is weird, from the way it happened im guessing that's where the problem is.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
8/30/12 7:39 a.m.

tools-inet options-advanced- restore default settings and clear history.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lxRqm7NlllKhgzlg68Ur8bl6eCHURx8IR7iONheiQRnUKqvBUnxoIhdViwc5JQnU