1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/27/18 5:17 p.m.

I don't actually like ATL.  Driving is not fun.

But I am coming to terms with the idea that I will probably be retiring near there.  4 out of 5 of my kids are already settling there.  If I wnt to see my family or grandkids, I'm gonna have to go there.

But I also want to downsize, and am looking for a rural small town. Space for a shop, maybe 4 wheelers.  No HOA.   1-5 acres.  I'd love a scenic spot (lake, mountains, etc).  I could probably swing $300K if I had to, but I'd rather $175.

I am not ready to retire.  I will be in perhaps 6-8 years.  I am considering buying property now and renting it.

So, what options are outside ATL?  I am thinking 1 hr from center city is probably about the right distance.

East probably will not work.  That would be Conyers/ Covington, and won't get me out of the congestion.

West- I've been to Carrollton.  I kind of like it.  Small town flavor, with a college.  Close enough to Newnan to find shopping, but enough off the beaten path that the sprawl might not run over it in the next 20 years.  Don't know anything else about it.

NE would get me to Cumming.  Lake Lanier.  I love that area, but it's the 400 corridor.  Probably too expensive and congested.  Although, I own a cabin in Suches (above Dahlonega), and this would be the right direction to go there regularly.

North- Woodstock?  Ball ground?

NW- Would get me near Allatoona Lake.  Acworth?  Emerson?

South- Griffin?  Fayetteville?

West- Douglasville? Villa Rica?  I love the city planning concept of Peachtree City, but doubt we could afford it.

I really don't know much about any of these places.  Looking for an education.

Ready, set, go!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
7/27/18 5:26 p.m.

I want the opposite. To GTFO of Atlanta in 8 years.

I think Emerson/Cartersville/Red Top Mountain or SW side (say Fayetteville) might be good places to check out, if your goal is to avoid the 400 gutter. I totally understand since I ride a bus down 400 every day. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/27/18 5:33 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I can completely relate to GTFO of ATL.  I don't get to make that choice- my family is settling there whether I like it or not.

My dream at this point is that my house could be the place where my kids and family could GTFO of ATL when they want to.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
7/27/18 7:23 p.m.

Chattanooga is about an hour and a half away dont know if thats too faraway.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/27/18 7:26 p.m.

In reply to mrhappy :

Too far

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/27/18 7:38 p.m.

I've been to Villa Rica. I wasnt impressed.

Nothing else to add other than Suches is one of my favorite places on earth. Ive daydreamed over property in that valley for years.  We're staying at our favorite B&B on 19 south of the rock pile for my birthday in September. Plan to explore the FS roads around Suches since I've got a Jeep now.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/27/18 7:45 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

You're right.  Incredible driving roads- the roads are one of the main reasons I bought my cabin there.  That, and bordering 80,000 acres of National Forest land!

At some point, I will probably take my turbo Miata up there, put the cabin on Air BnB, and the Miata on Turo.  I'll let you guys enjoy it when I'm not there!

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/27/18 7:52 p.m.

in 10 years even Ball Ground will be covered up , Pat and I are looking at Talking Rock but not Ellijay it's already Too Expensive. I would love to live in Suches....... Hwy.60 rivals the Dragon and ITS LONGER  going between there and Blue Ridge. that is just under 45 min. more to B R  from my house but the last 25 miles into Suchs takes about that much more. I Love It.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/27/18 7:54 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

I'd take Hwy 60 ANY day over the Dragon.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/27/18 8:09 p.m.

Well I'd say C'mon down, but your already there, and that's where I wanna be. turns out there are several grm'ers up this corridor. I've not met a few but Les' is real close, going there tomorrow to see his crazy mini van. you could put Joe's inside of Les's almost but it probably makes 4-5 times the power of joe's. Really.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/27/18 8:33 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

You just let me know when.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
7/27/18 9:18 p.m.

Retired back here in 2014, because it was home.

In 6-8 years this place will not be the same. You can probably still afford to live here, but land? Shop. Nope. The new trend is the "live work play" communities, and they are everywhere, even in the suburbs. Dense housing. There is simply not enough money to build a house with a yard, not when you can pack three $650k buildings on the same lot.  

At the risk of being rude, I'll give you the scoop. We have a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 1800 sq(ish) 2 story sitting on a wooded 1/3 of an acre. We are in an established neighborhood in Cobb County, 25 minutes outside of the city with no traffic. I am 10 miles from the new Braves stadium and just outside the permitter. (I-285 in the perimeter and everything is either 'inside' aka ITP or OTP). Crawlspace and a 2-car attached. The house had not been updated since it was built in 1984. It wasn't neglected, just dated. 

We have done some small updates downstairs, the windows were new when we bought and we have replaced the water heater, AC and heater in the last three years. The driveway is bad (tree roots) but the yard is pretty good. There is a park a mile away and a nature trail that connect to the Silver Comet Trail where I go for my runs. 

in 2014 we paid $180. The house across the street just sold for $265, similar layout, a redone kitchen.

Zillow Link

The week before it was listed, the agent had an open house. Sunday was a bidding war with three families. It sold in a week.

Ours is going on the market soon, I expect $250-$260, even with my cracked driveway. (Obligatory "OMG It Snowed!" pic)

So the market is on fire. existing stuff doesn't last a month. A growing trend n my hood is tear down houses. Folks are buying for the big 80's lots and building McMansions on them. 

Again, you can live here, but your housing requirements are what will kill you, I know because we are shopping. Initially, we were looking to move further north closer to my work.

We have been looking for the last year plus. The wife wants a decent neighborhood and a newer build. I want space for the cars. In over a year in our price range, we have found...nothing.

Lots of houses, but nothing that meets her requirements and mine. In fact only a handful with space for a shop, much less a shop. I gave up on the idea and came to the realization I would be renting an industrial space. 

I work in Woodstock, just short of Ball Ground. Nice place, good vibe. But its the same problem, house sell in a week over their list price. 

My parents moved from ITP to Hiram, near Douglasville. But there is no flavor there, just miles and miles of planned subdivisions and chain restaurants around big box stores. They like it for exactly that reason.  But all of them will have HOAs. You might be able to find an old house on some land that needs work, but those are getting snatched up by developers for planned communities. Douglasville is the same.

Carrollton.  Yeah, you nailed it Small town flavor, with a college.  Not much else

Cumming, Alpharetta, yeah as you mentioned, pricey now.  Lake Lanier, along with Altoona and really any lake, pricey.

Acworth isn't terrible, but the prices are rising with all northern communities. 

Griffin?  Fayetteville? You might be able to, but don't want to. There isn't much there.

The city planning concept of Peachtree City was OK, but its Delta land, and as a result, expensive.

Lots of good townhomes and condos, which is basically the future here. There are homes on several acres, but they come with 7 figure price tags. 1-5 acres with an hour of the city? My Zillow search yielded 29. And that was everywhere, about a 1/3 were being marketed to investors for a development. In 6-8 years those will be long gone.

That's the real estate side. Not bad if your selling, but awful if you want space. Everything else here really isn't that bad, I actually like it. The small towns that are being swallowed up are embracing their small town feel, so there are lots of holiday festivals and things to do, both family-friendly and adult. I would place our food selection on par with almost anywhere. If there is a variety style regional or specific food you want, there will be a great place to get it and another one trying to take its place. 

Traffic. Yep, we have it. We have it worse than almost anyone and that's a documented fact. We have public transportation, but its terrible and all of the suburbs won't allow it outside the perimeter. Instead of high-speed rail, we build Lexus lanes which infuriates me, especially after traveling to Boston where they have it so right. But if you are savvy, you can get around quite well locally on a bicycle and 50 cc mopeds don't require a license or tags (but you do have to wear a helmet, which you should). So get a comfortable seat and a series of good podcasts you want to hear (May I suggest this one...)

Cost of living isn't that bad, gas stays stable is (but there are a few stations that spike at the sign of a crisis, just keep driving, there is another one). We have farmer's markets, lots of green spaces and trails, the mountains are easy and close. Hunters never seem to have an issue finding a place.

Atlanta Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motor Speedway are all close, and I can even get to Barber faster than I can AMS. The best craigslist in the nation, seriously, but you already know that. We also have Atlanta Dragway, but also Lanier and Dixie ovals very close. Bonus, at AMP there is the occasional Honger sighting

Work? If you want to, you will. Especially you. Establish your construction reputation up here and you will be triple bidding jobs because you will have to much work and won't want to say no. Even after that, you'll still get the job sometimes. 

Art? Music? Culture? Pick your flavor. We have it and we have lots of it. Easily a dozen high-end concert venues, and 100s of smaller intimate ones as well as free music in the parks and squares around town. It's hard not to have fun here. 

Feel free to ask me any direct questions, I hope this helps a bit.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/27/18 11:46 p.m.

6-8 years is a long time. Career changes can happen. Companies can send employees elsewhere. I’d wait for a while to make sure that you really, really do want to retire anywhere based on your grandkids being there. 

That being said, good for you and good for your grandkids for that. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/28/18 5:34 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Don’t worry. Not gonna leap too soon. This is a bit of a mental exercise for now, but I wanna be prepared. 

If I find the right town, I’ll be ready to leap when the right time/ place comes along. 

6-8 years was a long time when I was 30.  Now that I’m older, it’s the blink of an eye  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/28/18 5:48 a.m.

In reply to Mental :

That’s a great summary. Thanks. 

You are describing the primary reason I am looking now. I know things are changing quickly, and I won’t be able to afford it in 8 years. 

I think the biggest difference between our needs is our wives. Your wife wants a decent neighborhood and newer build. My wife is ok with a small ranch house and no neighbors.  Don’t forget, we lived in Albany GA for 20 years, which makes any North GA bumpkin town look like a booming metropolis.

I guess my core question is if an hour away from ATL is enough for us to get off the beaten path.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/28/18 6:12 a.m.
GTXVette said:

in 10 years even Ball Ground will be covered up , Pat and I are looking at Talking Rock but not Ellijay it's already Too Expensive. I would love to live in Suches....... Hwy.60 rivals the Dragon and ITS LONGER  going between there and Blue Ridge. that is just under 45 min. more to B R  from my house but the last 25 miles into Suchs takes about that much more. I Love It.

THIS. Even Jasper is getting too big for us lol. We’re building in Talking Rock.

poopshovel again
7/28/18 6:14 a.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to Mental :

That’s a great summary. Thanks. 

You are describing the primary reason I am looking now. I know things are changing quickly, and I won’t be able to afford it in 8 years. 

I think the biggest difference between our needs is our wives. Your wife wants a decent neighborhood and newer build. My wife is ok with a small ranch house and no neighbors.  Don’t forget, we lived in Albany GA for 20 years, which makes any North GA bumpkin town look like a booming metropolis.

I guess my core question is if an hour away from ATL is enough for us to get off the beaten path.

FWIW: Jasper is exactly 60 miles from ATL. Building costs are crazy, but land is still reasonable. We really love the talking rock area. Search Trulia or whatever out 136W going toward Carter’s Lake. Still around $10k or less an acre last time I checked.

EDIT: Dude. Had this been available when we were looking, I would’ve snapped it up in a heartbeat. 5 minute drive (or a couple hours float) from our place. DM me if you want. I have a great agent up here.

https://www.trulia.com/property/5035884672-12-Shyers-Ford-Rd-Talking-Rock-GA-30175

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/28/18 7:04 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

That’s a great idea, but I really don’t want to build. 

Sounds weird from a builder, doesn’t it?

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/28/18 8:23 a.m.

All the places I considered cheap around here...aren't anymore. I was going to say Cleveland, GA but even there things have gotten pricey.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/28/18 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Mental :

You’ve got mail

poopshovel again
7/28/18 9:10 a.m.
SVreX said:

That’s a great idea, but I really don’t want to build. 

Sounds weird from a builder, doesn’t it?

Totally get it. Take a look at that area though. Check out 456 Shyers Ford Rd. 15 acres, house that needs work, BIG barn/shop, $150k Motivated sellers. Wife and I looked at it a year ago.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/28/18 9:12 a.m.

Why didn’t you buy it?

poopshovel again
7/28/18 11:18 a.m.
SVreX said:

Why didn’t you buy it?

We fell in love with the property we ended up buying.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/28/18 12:50 p.m.

If I had to live near ATL it would be to the north.  Cartersville used to be a sleepy little town.  Not any more.  I lived in Calhoun for a year many years ago and grew to love it.  I had family in Elijay and it was a tiny hick town.  Again, not any more.     

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/28/18 6:24 p.m.

Listen to Mental.  He's a friend and a teammate of mine, and also lives 25 minutes from me.  He knows Atlanta, he's a true redneck.  wink  And boy oh boy do I hope Mental is right that prices will be rising.  Once we're empty nesters...also about 8 years from now...we're outta here.

I live in Acworth, and have been here for 4+ years.  If you have any questions about this area, don't hesitate to ask.  It takes me 45 minutes to get to "center city" without traffic.  With traffic, who knows.  My office is in Lawrenceville, which is 55-60 miles away (Acworth is northwest, Lawrenceville is northeast suburbs).  In the morning, it takes an hour...in the afternoon it's 80-90 minutes.  Traffic is bad, but honestly I don't find it a ton worse than what I lived with for decades in Philly.

I agree with Mental that things will look very different in 8 years.  So yes, that could be a reason to buy now...but it could also be a reason not to.  What you think is ideal for you now may be very different in 8 years. 

Again, if you have questions about the northwest suburbs, feel free to ask.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d9puOxTXwqYarYvIXZAofh9qQk7UfdpMEWd0MWqPn6fAROMUesKV7uP3bK3vXfVE