CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/24/22 12:36 p.m.

Hi all,

I have 1/2" inch thick wool felt acting as insulation on the fiberglass ceiling of my van. The felt is pretty heavy and is a single peace, probably 5' by 4'. 

I have been using heavy duty Velcro to keep it up in place. It kind of works. Kind of. Over time some of the pieces of the Velcro have failed (the glue comes of the backing) and it starts to droop.  

I'm thinking of adding some glue to the situation. But I'm not sure what is best for the job. 

Any experience/ideas?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/24/22 1:02 p.m.

3M spray 77.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

This. Exactly. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/24/22 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Is that the stuff used to stick thin carpet to the walls and ceilings of fiberglass boat cabins?

I've used it but couldn't remember the name. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/24/22 2:19 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It is what the upholstery shop next to me uses and she is one of the best in town. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/24/22 3:05 p.m.

Marine Epoxy.  Strong stuff.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/22 3:52 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

I love 5200, but the cure time is STUPID. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/24/22 4:19 p.m.

Agree with the 3M 77 recommendation, or 3M 90. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/24/22 4:40 p.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:

Agree with the 3M 77 recommendation, or 3M 90. 

Username checks out. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/24/22 5:17 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to wawazat :

I love 5200, but the cure time is STUPID. 

gives you time to get it off of your hootis before it comes a permanent part of you.  Never use 5200 unless are installing something forever.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/24/22 7:24 p.m.

I love that glueguy commented, that gives me a lot of confidence in ya'lls recommendation of 3M 77. :)

What's the cure time like? Will I have to hold it up, arms over head, for very long?

Also, how toxic is it? How long will I need to air it out? We need to live in this space.

4/24/22 8:55 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

It's a contact adhesive, so no cure time like you are thinking. Spray both sides, let the solvent flash off and then it's film to film. You get one shot, no repositioning. Yes, it's solvent heavy, it's gonna stink a bit so use a fan for good airflow. Good bond in an hour, great bond in 24. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/24/22 8:59 p.m.

I have used 3m77 to do two headliners.  Neither ever fell down.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
4/24/22 9:42 p.m.

Professional auto trimmers use Dap Weldwood contact cement. Usually sprayed through a cheap paint gun. In a pinch they will brush it on, but we buy it in 5 gallon pails and they go through a lot of it. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/25/22 9:04 a.m.

Hmmm. So the 3M 77 is a spray and the headliner can't be repositioned?

Thinking out loud... spraying might be a bit tricky as the felt is already in place on the ceiling. I'll be pulling it down just a bit to get the tough to reach places that aren't being held in place by the Velcro. Or maybe spraying will be easier, shoot, I don't know. Between that and the lack of repositioning, I'm curious about the Dap Weldwood.

4/25/22 12:25 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Hmmm. So the 3M 77 is a spray and the headliner can't be repositioned?

Thinking out loud... spraying might be a bit tricky as the felt is already in place on the ceiling. I'll be pulling it down just a bit to get the tough to reach places that aren't being held in place by the Velcro. Or maybe spraying will be easier, shoot, I don't know. Between that and the lack of repositioning, I'm curious about the Dap Weldwood.

Weldwood is another contact adhesive.  It will perform similar to 3M 77 and 90.  To Trent's comment, easier and more economical to buy in bulk liquid form and spray vs. buying an aerosol can when you do this a lot, but the adhesive will act the same.

No other technology will work as well as a contact adhesive in this application.  You can brush on if it's easier to put some on a long stick to apply where you need it.  Concept is the same, film on both surfaces, dry and touch to "fuse" the films.  Problem with brushing is the likelihood of a heavy spot that will bleed through fabric.  Usually easier to mist on with a spray of some sort.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/25/22 8:47 p.m.

Thanks Glueguy for the info! 

I think I'm leaning toward the spray on 3M 77 after looking where I need to apply this. I think it will be easier to tug down the felt a bit and spray some adhesive rather than reaching in with long stick where I risk getting it where I don't want it. 

Thanks all!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/25/22 9:34 p.m.

Practice on some cardboard sheets so you can see how it works. And don't get overspray where you don't want permanent overspray.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/26/22 11:27 a.m.

That's a reeeeally good idea, thank you Chandler!

WillG80
WillG80 Reader
4/26/22 12:18 p.m.

Eric,

I did a bunch of research and ended up using 3M 90 to install a felt liner in my truck topper a few years ago. It held up great! I think I used 2-3 cans to do the entire inside of the topper. The only reason I used 90 over 77 is the higher temperature rating. Many people reported that the 77 failed after extended periods in the sun. I can't confirm or deny this, just what I read. I think the temp ratings are around 190 and 250 for the two products. 

4/26/22 3:20 p.m.
WillG80 said:

Eric,

I did a bunch of research and ended up using 3M 90 to install a felt liner in my truck topper a few years ago. It held up great! I think I used 2-3 cans to do the entire inside of the topper. The only reason I used 90 over 77 is the higher temperature rating. Many people reported that the 77 failed after extended periods in the sun. I can't confirm or deny this, just what I read. I think the temp ratings are around 190 and 250 for the two products. 

3M 90 is better, 3M 77 is typically more readily available.  I used to use 90 but the last couple I did with 77 and they are still holding.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/28/22 5:00 p.m.

Good to know, thank you. Heat is certainly something to consider as this roof/ceiling gets hit by the sun big time.

So I'm actually changing my mind again and leaning toward the Dap Weldwood after reading the comment on overspray.

I don't want to get overspray all over the van, and I don't see how I can avoid it given the tight space I will be working in.

If the Weldwood fails (it's rated up to 180 F), I'll try 3M 90. 

Edit: Did a little more research and it appears the nozzle on 90 can be adjusted which I'm hoping will limit overspray. Reading people using Weldwood with a brush and it sounds like a big mess to use. It's also in stock at my local Home Depot, the Weldwood is not. Changing my mind again! :)

Regardless, thank you all for the help!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BBGubNtrwhsu77m1B5W09RLRiNZBMa7T2OcSbwYSX0b0NVg8PbRwQlpv3ZZ1pgKG