1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/21/21 2:14 p.m.

I know, not fun. Not at all.

I did mine on Friday, meaning the fun began Thursday evening. But it beats the alternative.

A figured this was a good sign: As they plugged in the IV, Hall & Oates started playing on the radio. 

And, as last night's passing of T.E. McHale reminds us, colon cancer is very real. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/21/21 2:22 p.m.

I would've thought "running on empty" would've been appropriate. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/21/21 2:26 p.m.

Been a few years for me - 100% clean - and I'm not due for another few years.

But getting it was a non-issue and I won't hesitate when it comes around on the guitar again.

A high school classmate and friend just got part of their colon removed for cancer.  Their colonoscopy caught it fairly early.  It works.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/21/21 2:40 p.m.

I got my first one this year due to my half sister passing away from colon cancer.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/21/21 2:45 p.m.

I had a two shot that day - scope from top and bottom.  I was asleep - all was easy.  Take care of yourself.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/21/21 2:46 p.m.

my doctor recommended a new-school way to do it.  i pooped in a container and shipped it to a lab.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
12/21/21 2:50 p.m.

Colon cancer killed my mother before she could meet my children. Colon cancer killed a good friend of mine, probably the best electrician in  the country, at 60 years old. Truly a silent killer. My friend died within 6 months it had spread so far so fast. Both deaths were unnecessary. You have no excuse, if you are over 50 get it done please. berkeley CANCER.Rant over.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/21/21 2:51 p.m.

Been there done that.   Don't do it for you do it for those that depend on you.  Even if it is your dog/cat/fish whatever.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/21/21 2:52 p.m.

I'm going to try to get mine in the next 3 years. I'll be 32 in a month. I will pay out of pocket if necessary, but despite my best efforts to eat plant based, I always fail after a month or two, and my familial history indicates that I am at risk. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
12/21/21 2:53 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

my doctor recommended a new-school way to do it.  i pooped in a container and shipped it to a lab.

Here, the health care system automatically ships those to your door when you hit 50. If they find anything you go for a colonoscopy. If not, you do it again in 5 years

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/21/21 3:36 p.m.

My Mother beat colon cancer and breast cancer, so .....

The prep seemed easier this time.  In previous exams you could eat anything you wanted, then at 2:00 in the afternoon you drink the Kool-aid.  This time you can have nothing the day before the prep but chicken broth, that makes the prep much less violent and I actually got to sleep all night. 

Good PSA David.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/21/21 3:37 p.m.

E36 M3 in a box!  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/21/21 3:41 p.m.

Was supposed to have one today, but rescheduled for next month due to a rather sick 1yo. 

My dad passed from colon cancer at 47. I'm in my 30's and doc says I get borescoped every 5 years minimum for the rest of my life.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/21/21 3:44 p.m.

Yep. Got my Shingrix too. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/21/21 4:12 p.m.

So my prep (which is now for next month) is all over the counter. Dulcolox and magnesium citrate. No solid foods 24 hours before the procedure.  I expected something more specific.

Additionally it's interesting. My (older) brothers insurance won't cover one for him till after 40 and mine has zero problem with me in my mid 30s.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/21/21 4:19 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

So my prep (which is now for next month) is all over the counter. Dulcolox and magnesium citrate. No solid foods 24 hours before the procedure.  I expected something more specific.

Additionally it's interesting. My (older) brothers insurance won't cover one for him till after 40 and mine has zero problem with me in my mid 30s.

That is some bullE36 M3. Tell him to keep hounding his PCP to require it. If that doesn't work, encourage him to get it out of pocket. I'll donate to the cause. 

The data is suggesting (trending the way, but we don't have enough data to say it is true) that it happens earlier with each subsequent generation. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/21/21 4:19 p.m.

Had it a few months ago after my brother passed blood one day. Three days later he was having part of his guts cut out. Turns out i'm a perfect shiny happy person though.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
12/21/21 4:24 p.m.

The new sedation they use (as opposed to what they used 10 years ago) is pretty awesome.   I took a nice nap and woke up feeling refreshed and alert.  Last time I was a zombie who lost a day.

50 year old check up a few months back was clear and uneventful.  Good till 55 anyway.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
12/21/21 4:35 p.m.

I have been getting them every five years, and have had four so far. Next one is due in '23. Hate the prep but kinda like the peaceful snooze during the procedure. And then Annie takes me out for a nice breakfast after it's over.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/21/21 4:50 p.m.

They snipped three benign polyps out of me last month.  Since that happened, I don't have to do the annual poop scrape anymore, since I'm already booked for my next scope three years from now.

Oh, age.  You heartless bastard.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
12/21/21 5:09 p.m.

It's time for me to schedule my second one.

With the first one, during the pre-meeting, the doctor squeezed my abdomine and said "boy, you're really gassy".

I started giggling and he gave me the total stink eye...I realized that he was providing me with a professional medical assessment...I mean he is a butt doctor and all. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/21/21 5:16 p.m.

My brother-in-law was already 22 when I was born, so there was a big age gap, but I always looked up to him. He was always an athlete (state champion in high school, college football quarterback), never drank or smoked and exercised constantly. 

When he turned 50, my sister the nurse reminded him that he needed to schedule a colonoscopy. He said, "Nobody's putting anything up my ass!"

When he was 62 and not feeling so great, he went to his doctor and learned that he had Stage 4 colon cancer, and there wasn't much that they could do. 

The doctor also told him that the real tragedy was that it would have been easily treatable if it had been found early. 

He made it another eight years, but they were eight very difficult years. His daughter moved across the country to take care of him at the end, and his first grandson was born a year after he died. 

I really miss that guy. 

So yeah, as I tell anyone who will listen, get your colonoscopy.  I had my first earlier this year and it wasn't so bad. 

And some insurance companies will actually PAY YOU to have it done by one of their approved providers. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/21/21 5:18 p.m.

I had mine about a month ago.  Instead of putting me under, this time around they gave me something that kept me awake but I just didn't care.  They told me to come back in five years.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/21/21 5:19 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I had a two shot that day - scope from top and bottom.   

Did they meet in the middle?  smiley

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/21/21 5:34 p.m.

I need to schedule one next year.  Should have last year, but it was kind of a crappy year for that kind of thing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LttmzeCwq19RRlU7YSam2eBRLCm0VkA7AuM3yb3UAgVMRttDZCbmKtNFDClDg6Tj