1 2
pheller
pheller UltimaDork
1/6/21 9:32 a.m.

Miele's are worth the money. That being said, it's all about knowing your product. Their new stick vac is enticing, but it's their first. 

Dyson, on the other hand, makes a killer stick vacuum. Downside? They hate moisture. Don't go sucking up too much of it. 

I've got a Rainbow that sees use more as a shop vac aside from carpet. Wish someone make a Rainbow-to-bagged conversion kit. The water changeout gets old. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
1/6/21 9:38 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

Dyson animal user for 20 years. Got a new one just last summer. Works great as usual. 

This right here.....

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/6/21 10:05 a.m.

To be clear, we were looking for a more budget machine for our guest house.  We have an Electrolux in our home.  Its a bag unit, but works pretty well.  It's about 7 years old.  I had to replace the internal filter when I sucked up some still-hot fireplace ashes, which resulted in a smoke screen in the house, and we had a rat chew through a hose which got duct taped and is still holding up after 2 or 3 years.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/6/21 12:00 p.m.

We have a Shark Rotator that we've had for a couple years now. We love it. Easy to clean, easy to change filters, easy to use, and works great on everything: hard floors, carpet, furniture, etc.

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] Dork
1/6/21 12:26 p.m.

Got a Dyson DC25 that has been okay. It's loud, but I've put it through a lot of abuse above what it's designed for.

I used it to suck up some concrete dust and now it sounds funny, so pretty sure I killed the motor. Still works though. 

Other than that I've only had to replace a split hose in the 8 years I've owned it.

I really like the bagged Miele my parents have, but I'm probably going to just fix my Dyson because used motors are like $30 on eBay 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/6/21 9:04 p.m.

Miele. It's a German vacuum. We got one after too many Sharks and Dysons crapped out. It's in a whole other league. 
Think Mercedes vs Kia. Solid, does what it does better, costs more but lasts far longer, and even at the end of it's life works better than a new Shark. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
1/27/21 8:13 a.m.

Have you considered a robot vacuum for doing the bulk of the work? Then you don't really need a super robust secondary vacuum.  We got the RoboRock S6, a little pricey, but much better than the Roombas in the same price range since it has LIDAR (same tech that self driving cars use) instead of cameras.  The roborocks also can "detect" carpet, and it spins up the brush and adjusts ride height to compensate.  It's pretty amazing what that little robot can suck up.

Most can be mapped to multiple floors, though you obviously need to move the unit by hand before it can do the next floor.  

We're looking for a decent stick vacuum to supplement the roborock, Dyson seems to be where its at. But, some of the reviews suggest the runtime is only 20minutes tops on the Dyson V7?  That doesn't seem like long enough to justify the Dyson price tag.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/27/21 9:08 a.m.

Wifey managed to clog the Dyson with a bunch of dry plant leaves over the weekend.  I took the opportunity to pull it apart, clear the clog, and wash the two filters in the vacuum. 

After the experience, I'm more of a Dyson fan than ever.  The machine is easy to pull apart and service, and I like the way it's engineered.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/27/21 10:03 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Just googled GRM forums to find some recommendations for a new vac...after vacillating back and forth on a few, I asked Mrs. VCH, who said, "Just buy the damn Bissell". 

So we got this.  Will let you know how it works. 

To follow up, the Bissell arrived and was immediately put into service. 

Like:

- Seems powerful, sucks well

- Bagless emptying feature works pretty well

- Comes with extra washable filters so you can wash one and leave it dry while using the other one.

- Neat integrated brush in handle for dusting

- long hose and cord

- Floor attachment seems to work well on both hard floor and low pile carpet. 

Concerns:

- No place to store accessories on the unit, so they need a drawer or tote or something

- Unit is kinda large, not terribly heavy, but takes up some space in storage

- Friction fit of the handle to the pipe going to the attachment.  Seems OK for now, we'll see long term.

Overall, pretty decent suck for the buck. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/18/22 8:23 a.m.

Canoe 

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
vmdkjNmwAeFEa7HgzUGydpWt4YpxkUvyrDEyAYRq9IMkLkEkxoYwz4qPBRJfEq5W