Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
6/24/22 3:52 p.m.

Is anyone else finding this month to be decidedly terrible? All I got for my birthday was a lousy metal plate.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
6/24/22 3:53 p.m.

Are you at least going to get a bitchin' scar out of it?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/24/22 3:56 p.m.

Or.... a really COOL metal plate!!!

Does this make you a cyborg?

Start making up a cool story on how you got it.    I suggest something involving ninjas, because ninjas are bitchin'

http://realultimatepower.net/

Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
6/24/22 3:59 p.m.

Ninjas sounds a lot better than ice skating while almost 30..... My dad got his knee replaced last winter, we've got a bet going on which one of us will have the longer scar once I heal up. 

wae
wae PowerDork
6/24/22 4:01 p.m.

ow!  I hope there's an epic story to go with that.

Also, uh, we're not worried about that one screw that's kind of sideways?

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/24/22 4:02 p.m.

That's an impressive number of screws!

Wrestling  match with a bear?

(the HIPAA in me requests to block out your name and MRN)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/24/22 4:04 p.m.
aircooled said:

Or.... a really COOL metal plate!!!

Does this make you a cyborg?

Start making up a cool story on how you got it.    I suggest something involving ninjas, because ninjas are bitchin'

http://realultimatepower.net/

Damn.  This is blocked at work.  Its been a loooong time since I went to that site.  So awesome.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
6/24/22 4:07 p.m.

This June has been kinda off.

Sucks you got kicked out of the Never Broke A Bone Club.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/24/22 4:17 p.m.

Ouch! Berkin OUCH!!!!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/24/22 4:29 p.m.

It IS a very cool metal plate, with an impressive number of screws.

My Mom suffered a similar break a couple years ago (she's in her mid-80s) and the doc put her in a sling and told her they'd wait and see if it knitted.  Weeks later, enduring significant pain, she prevailed upon them to try something else.  Shortly after entering surgery, they had to call in a vascular surgeon to fix damaged blood vessels, then screw the bone back together.  To this day, she has only partial use of her right arm and hand as a result of nerve damage.  She used to write in the most beautiful cursive.  Now it's all she can do to make a scraggly "X."

We can always find things for which to be grateful. laugh

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/24/22 4:31 p.m.

I guess the old saying "Chicks dig scars" doesn't really apply in this case.  wink

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/22 4:38 p.m.

That's one of the longest spirals I've ever seen (and that's not a figure skating comment) 

And yes, this month and week have sucked in spectacular fashion. 

If the plate and hardware eventually get to come out, are they challenge budget exempt if used? Or do they have to be budgeted at what the insurance company paid for them? 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/24/22 4:38 p.m.

Very humerus content.

And "almost 30" is peak physical ability.   Enjoy this time, 20 years from now you'll remember it longingly.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/24/22 5:00 p.m.

I think mtn and I should have some shame since you did it skating. At least project shame that you REALLY can't skate. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/24/22 5:03 p.m.

Wow, that looks nasty. My nephew did the same thing many years slipping on ground ice and had similar surgery. He healed up very well!

Best of luck and medical science for a full recovery.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/24/22 5:03 p.m.
Katie Suddard said:

Ninjas sounds a lot better than ice skating while almost 30..... My dad got his knee replaced last winter, we've got a bet going on which one of us will have the longer scar once I heal up. 

Wait, you were ice skating WHILE fighting ninjas.... that's cool!

(imagining a blur of twirling razor sharp skates)

tb
tb Dork
6/24/22 5:08 p.m.

Ouch! At least you failed in spectacular fashion?

I might have more complex hardware installed in my person, but that is an impressive plate...

Hope you heal up soon.

My June kinda sucks, too, but in more predictable and mundane ways. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
6/24/22 5:10 p.m.

I'm sorry but you can't drop pictures like that and not tell the story. 

I'm very sorry about your birthday present. I hope you got a gift receipt. ;^)

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
6/24/22 5:24 p.m.
aircooled said:

Wait, you were ice skating WHILE fighting ninjas.... that's cool!

(imagining a blur of twirling razor sharp skates)

It was the: "Ninjas Versus Super Suddards First Annual Hockey Free For All  Throw Down Charity Benefit Match."

I hope you heal quickly, Katie. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/24/22 5:39 p.m.

That's a nasty one! Can I tell you a story about surprise  happy endings?

I'm skiing with a buddy at Homewood and he's really timid. He just keeps on doing the bunny slope on the ridge. After a few hours and lunch I tell him that if he's just going to do the easy stuff, he might as well get a little variety. I showed him how all he had to do was about  a hundred yards of black diamond and he'd open up into an area that contains another several bunny slopes. He agrees and I go ahead. 

At the bottom of the short black diamond I watch him come down. Wow, he's going fast. Damn, he's got balls after all! Then he catches an edge and does his best snowball imitation. Breaks both his Fibula and Tibula. 

Fast forward and he's got a titanium rod in his leg, but it's too long. After several months of not healing, they go in and replace the rod with a shorter one and his bones heal.

So how is this good? Well he had an architecture degree from a very good school, but his employer - a top design/build firm wouldn't  let him practice it because he was too valuable as a lead carpenter.  Once he was broken they had to move him to the office and he was able to start a very successful run as an architect. He also met a wine heiress on the internet and lives in a palatial Napa home.  

So Katie, you're going to do at least that well, aren't you? 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/24/22 7:07 p.m.

I certainly hope Mom imparted on you the wisdom "If you are going to do something, do it right".

Short of sheering your arm off completely, I think you did it right.

Get well soon! 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
6/24/22 7:11 p.m.

Damn Kakes. The positive is that when the world devolves into madness you are already that close to being able to have an Ash Army of Darkness Chain Saw Arm, so there's that.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/24/22 8:28 p.m.

Ice skating in June?

I am glad to hear you are going to be ok.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/24/22 10:00 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Ice skating in June?

I am glad to hear you are going to be ok.

Ice skating in June, IN FLORIDA.

She's really pressing the odds with this one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V2Ss3V1qNDQB85v4X70myQ2EtxusxPxBgqgpnr9g2kEXzMAbfzDNJxLZ6chhH0Gj