Cyclone03
Cyclone03 New Reader
3/6/24 5:18 p.m.

I'm on the fence more than any new vehicle purchase before.

Back ground on current vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150 FX2 3.5 eco boost Super Crew,100% trouble free to 100,000 miles. Then it started,first TB codes,then wrench lite and the fuel pump fuse TSB plus fuel controller. I've kept up with fluid and filter changes,it's on its 3 rd set of tire and new brakes at about 125,000. Wife and I had the conversation last Sept. and we decided to keep it to 200,000 miles so it has a set of Bilsteins on it. Now it leaks oil....already did the vacuum pump and seal,next it the cam cover gaskets, the internet says replace the cam covers as well because the tend to crack. I think I have and evaporator leak under passenger carpet it wet with clear fluid.I have had zero cam chain rattle but it is on its OEM water pump as well as everything else. So far all of the above has been done by me so no stealership labor charges. It has had an ARE topper for 6 years and I love it being a big SUV.

It yanks my friend's 8000lb race car and trailer like it's not even there. I've towed with it only about 10 times.

150 lbs of Harry dogs(2) ride on the flat floor with the seat up.

oh and I call the truck my conflict vehicle because I took the wire to the dealership and handed her a pen.....

I want to get to 200,000

Now my real problem, I feel like I want to down size to a 3 row SUV,Expedition's and Suburbans are out because they are not a down size.

Then there is not having a TRUCK for times I need a truck,so Toyota Tacomas popped up,but the dogs might not like the down size in the back seat,and the bed is only 5 or 6 feet. Plus no instant gratification because I'll have to order it. 
Highlanders look good,still have to order it and towing drops to 5000lbs.

Then there is the Ford Explorer ST,2 on lot one like I would have ordered it, but....will it go to 200,000? It ups the towing to about 6000 but will I just shave 10000 miles off its life every time I load it up?

Trouble free is key,grand kids are 2000 miles away and we drive,because $100 a day to board dogs then deal with them being sick for the 2 weeks after we get home does not appeal to me again.

Ive never put myself in a go xxxxxxx miles position so this is new ground for me.

Help I'll take any suggestion under advisement.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/6/24 10:09 p.m.

When I feel like I'm at a decision point, I like to get an oil analysis from someone like Bobzilla or Blackstone Labs. Knowing the relative health of the motor can often make the decision easier. I've had several higher mileage vehicles ('01 Mustang GT - sold with 307k on original drivetrain, '06 Rav4 w/233k, '17 Odyssey w/230k), and I think that condition trumps mileage. My Mustang I bought with 271k from my friend who owned it from new and was meticulous about upkeep. I really didn't put very much into it in the 7 years I owned it. The RAV4 we've owned since new, so it's been maintained. The Odyssey we bought at 3 years old with 193k. It needed a transmission right away (dealer took car of that as part of the used car warranty), and I did a bunch of reconditioning/repair to fix the things that it needed. With other projects, it took about 6 months to get it into shape, and it's been pretty trouble-free since. So I've done high mileage a few different ways (bought from friend, owned since new, and bought from dealer), and it's worked for me. With new and low mileage used car prices being what they are, if the engine checks out as OK I'd probably try to get 200k out of your truck.

Part of my strategy is having an extra car (or two) so I can take one car out of service if it needs a repair (or repairs).  Without that flexibility, it would be much more difficult to own a higher mileage vehicle. I've had the RAV4 down for a few months to replace the rear subframe (and a bunch of other stuff), the Odyssey I worked on for the 6 months I mentioned, and my Saab has been in project mode for most of the 1.5 years I've owned it. Those extra cars have come in very handy!

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
5/12/24 1:01 a.m.

Fix. A truck is a tool. They are getting too expensive and complicated. I honestly think the sweet spot is 90s to early 2000s, especially for American Iron. You get some luxuries but still solid, simple and reliable. 

Cyclone03
Cyclone03 New Reader
5/20/24 11:46 p.m.

Well Truck is gone,Replaced with a 2023 Explorer ST.

Not on the list,but what the hell it halls butt!

We have already road tripped it to Ca from Co. 80mph posted had me testing the Mexico speed limits and  this thing just wants to roll at 100 plus,in Mexico of course not Utah.

so near 5000 miles and the thing is a blast.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/21/24 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Cyclone03 :

Nice! They sure do look the part. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gWNiSbdsweHsr06rKdh16AQq0sFvrlM9aEmDJsatC1viDef0YVpsK9PJ2TQVIhyg