2 3 4
wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
8/18/23 11:50 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

In reply to wheels777 :

That's fair, I forget if those are an 85 or 88 inch wheelbase, but I can only imagine the control challenges with BBC Nitrous power...

Might be worth sticking those bodies on the back 40 if you have the space.

Back 40 has (2) Camaros, a Futura, a 57 Chevy, 47 F1 and a destroyed PV-544. And my old 96 Z28 is finding its way home. No more to be stored. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
8/23/23 10:19 p.m.

@wheels777-

Volvo 145?

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/24/23 2:55 a.m.

Think Pink

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/24/23 8:50 a.m.
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

The answer is obviously 'XJS' and "all the spray"...

Holy cow! What Jag is that?!?

Series 1 or 2  JAGUAR XKE coupe. A parts car starts at $50,000 and a nicely restored one can sell for $150000. ( if convertible $225,000)  This is what a Jaguar XJS  looks like 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
8/27/23 9:28 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

@wheels777-

Volvo 145?

That would be cool.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
8/27/23 9:30 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Think Pink

Worked on those when they were common commuter cars.  Prefer not too.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
8/27/23 9:34 a.m.
frenchyd said:
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

The answer is obviously 'XJS' and "all the spray"...

Holy cow! What Jag is that?!?

Series 1 or 2  JAGUAR XKE coupe. A parts car starts at $50,000 and a nicely restored one can sell for $150000. ( if convertible $225,000)  This is what a Jaguar XJS  looks like 

XKE beautiful and too expensive.  One of my all time favorite cars. Almost bought one when they were affordable.  

XJS way too fat, heavy and ugly.  Yuck!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/27/23 10:04 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

It's styled like a Mustang to my eye.   And it's roughly the same size.   As far as weight goes, keeping the original body and chassis  but adding required safety equipment for wheel to wheel racing  I'll be under 2500 pounds.  The advantage is its suspension  and brakes made great braking and handling beating BMW, Porsche,  and Corvettes in IMSA Racing.  
     But have you considered putting that 454 in a 80's Corvette?  Most of the really cheap ones  ( I've got a $500 limit) I've seen are little more than body and frame.  Which goes with your theme of small American. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
8/27/23 6:46 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

No go on the XJS.  Too heavy and too ugly.

I did look at some C3 vettes.  Too small at this time.  As I mentioned a page ago, the post title was small car.  But post crash reality has me very limited physically. Bigger RWD domestic pre-74 in. Some non-domestic - maybe.  

Right now  57 Chevy is probably the leader of the choices.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/27/23 7:44 p.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/27/23 8:31 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

I know you said you wanted something older, but every piece of older tin around my area is way over Challenge money. What about one of the Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger/ Dodge Magnum ? They seem to be readily available for under $2K and should have titles.

Edit: Never mind..... I forgot you guys have vehicle inspections.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/27/23 11:13 p.m.
wheels777 said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I did look at some C3 vettes.  Too small at this time.  As I mentioned a page ago, the post title was small car.  But post crash reality has me very limited physically. Bigger RWD domestic pre-74 in. Some non-domestic - maybe.  

Fair enough on the  Jaguar.   But at 3525 pounds a 57 Chevy is no lightweight  and it's rather big and tall. ( not in todays, SUV world but••••).  Add the extra weight of a 454 and you've at least added another 200 pounds. 
    Finally it would be extremely rare to find a cheap 1957. 
  Am I correct in assuming you have limited mobility?   Wouldn't a convertible where you aren't required to get under a roof  be better?  Again I'm thinking of a late C3 or early C4 for extremely modest money. Not as a completed car perhaps but if you're going to install a big block we know the the C3 chassis originally had them as an option. 
    I realize a $500 version isn't going to be easy to find.  If you do find one it's going to need a lot of work. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
8/28/23 10:28 a.m.
frenchyd said:
wheels777 said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Fair enough on the  Jaguar.   But at 3525 pounds a 57 Chevy is no lightweight  and it's rather big and tall. ( not in todays, SUV world but••••).  Add the extra weight of a 454 and you've at least added another 200 pounds. 
  Am I correct in assuming you have limited mobility?   Wouldn't a convertible where you aren't required to get under a roof  be better?  Again I'm thinking of a late C3 or early C4 for extremely modest money. Not as a completed car perhaps but if you're going to install a big block we know the the C3 chassis originally had them as an option. 
    I realize a $500 version isn't going to be easy to find.  If you do find one it's going to need a lot of work. 

I bought a 57 2-dr for $1300, but that too much for a Challenge car starter.  I also bought a 57 4-dr that runs and drives for $1100.  I have it sold down, but the rust has me hesitant since I can do the same amount of work as I was used to.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
8/28/23 10:29 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Another big Ford......Marketplace - 1964 Ford galaxie 500 Base | Facebook

Product photo of 1964 Ford galaxie 500 Base

I like that. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/28/23 10:53 a.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/28/23 11:05 a.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/28/23 3:53 p.m.
wheels777 said:
frenchyd said:
wheels777 said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I bought a 57 2-dr for $1300, but that too much for a Challenge car starter.  I also bought a 57 4-dr that runs and drives for $1100.  I have it sold down, but the rust has me hesitant since I can do the same amount of work as I was used to.

I understand about not being able to do the same amount of work you used to. At age 75. I can work for 20 minutes at most and then I'm resting.  Not just sitting down, horizontal.  
  What I do in a day today used to take me about 1/2 hr. And I'm aching when I go to bed. 
     Hopefully you aren't like me.  Still demanding perfection of myself.  
  However for decent performance at the Challenge  the smaller and lighter the car  works in your favor.  Big sedans  not so much.   

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
8/28/23 4:38 p.m.

Not terribly creative... but small, RWD, pre-74 American with room for a 454:

Lightweight (rusty) '68 Camaro for $1500 in Calverton NY

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1636368010185937/

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/28/23 9:51 p.m.

How about a van?  Good concourse points in velour and shag carpeting I would think 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/29/23 8:03 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

How about a van?  Good concourse points in velour and shag carpeting I would think 

....or some sort of slammed 2wd SUV.....Trailblazer, or maybe the Saab variant.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W7VfhUx4zJjn4E8Brpz7bP1ogLv13bvbbkiIkEqAPnyQsrBOw7XfHP1LSzy1gKzy