TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
1/29/24 4:57 p.m.

How about something like a reed valve?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/29/24 6:06 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

I like this idea!  You could use two a side and maybe just operate the supercharger mad max style. Manually turn it on and off. 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
1/29/24 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR : Exactly :)

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
1/29/24 9:40 p.m.

I'll dissent... haha.  That sounds awesome but a lot of work, especially to dial it in.  I'd rather see this thing on the track and getting it adjusted and sorted out first.   But that's selfish me!

Outkasted
Outkasted New Reader
1/30/24 10:19 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
1/31/24 9:37 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

I'll dissent... haha.  That sounds awesome but a lot of work, especially to dial it in.  I'd rather see this thing on the track and getting it adjusted and sorted out first.   But that's selfish me!

This car is wild!  Almost too wild, imo.  Just so many variables all happening at once.  Its more than I could handle, but I sure enjoy watching the evolution!

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
3/13/24 7:56 p.m.

It's been awhile since I posted.  Busy rebuilding a new engine since blowing mine in the garage...   I've also cut a full 2 feet off the back (more on this later), cleaned up the engine bay and bought an absolutely massive intercooler that came off a 4,000hp drag car.  Do I need it...no.  I'm going to install it in the old intercooler location (pictured)  and trim the lexan window to let it stick out about an inch or so.  I have pretty massive side radiators to cool it in the rear fenders but any guidance how big the radiators and pumps need to be to support this monster?

the intercooler in question

the current intercooler location and place this engineering disaster will be placed (lexan trimming required, it'll poke through a bit)

side radiators that hopefully can support it.  Let me know what you think.  I have room behind them to add another side but I'll need to work some magic to get air to them  

random engine build and engine bay improvements   

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
3/13/24 8:17 p.m.

Will you be at hyperfest this year? ?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
3/13/24 8:46 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yep!  I'm running the patriot course and main, come on by. 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
3/14/24 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

I'll see you there! 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
3/20/24 12:14 p.m.

Problems problems problems.  This engine build has not gone well.  I've installed and reinstalled one of the heads three times, each time returning it to the machine shop and reordered head bolts and gasketsindecision  First I found a stripped spark plug, then the plug was rethreaded but set to high in the head, then once all resolved I scratched the mating surface while reinstalling the head. I'm need to look into basket weaving or something, this hobby is killing me.  

resleaved plug set at the wrong height

Scrated head... I'm an idiot

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/20/24 9:07 p.m.

Do you wan't another engine? I've had a '98 ABZ pushed to the back corner of my garage for years. I'm going to use an AUX if I ever get back to doing the Audi swap.

I'd definitely recommend doing the timing belt and it currently doesn't have a wire harness, but should be a good spare or replacement for yours. Located in Northeast Oklahoma.

Outkasted
Outkasted New Reader
3/22/24 8:54 a.m.

That intercooler is massive, but dig the look.

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
3/29/24 3:03 p.m.

Finally got th engine back in, still lots of work to do to, bolting the body back down, painting, connecting the piping, oiling system etc. but overall I'm happy with the back end modifications.  It looks wild in person, so much wider than it looks in person.   Definitely further into hotrod territory and further from racecar.  The 315 Hoosiers look tiny, I might step up the wheel size to 18" to put some wider tires under it.  

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
3/29/24 3:07 p.m.

Awesome! 

Boy is it busy looking back there!

Outkasted
Outkasted New Reader
4/5/24 11:24 a.m.

Do you plan to attend any meets or anything with this since you are going more hotrod direction?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
5/11/24 7:15 a.m.

Less than a week before hyperfest!  Fortunately it's pretty buttoned up.  The challenge this year (for fun) is I'm planning to drive the 2.5 hour trip in the boxster and leaving the trailer home.  Worst case I'm in the AAA safety circle.   I've added an interior using aluminum wrapped in adhesive backed pleather from Amazon and bought a roll of padding backed vynle for the carpet.   The previous lights weren't really bright enough so I beefed them up as well.  If the corner workers didn't like them I'm sure VA state police won't.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
5/13/24 4:24 p.m.

Well, I'm calling it done.  At Least done for Hyperfest this week.  Here's the back fully pieced back together.  It looks WILD.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
5/13/24 4:54 p.m.

Yesssss.  Any shake down time??

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
5/13/24 5:29 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Hopefully tomorrow.  I really wish I didn't live downtown for a shakedown.  

spandak
spandak Dork
5/15/24 1:51 a.m.

This thing is unhinged

Maybe I missed it but you done anything to reinforce the rear shock towers? There isn't much there anymore. I imagine they flex more than they used to which is very relevant with tires that meaty.

Outkasted
Outkasted New Reader
5/21/24 2:30 p.m.

I am so late, did hyperfest trip already happen? 

8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V2ObAI7hKpiFUcLjA7yg6hw6yqHcvPDnqm5paAHyp7DJpyVPg7WmTXv89A3otARm