4 5 6
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
8/21/23 10:41 a.m.

Make sure the valve cover isn't bent or distorted. Those 4 bolts that hold it on aren't great. 

orthoxstice
orthoxstice Reader
10/25/23 9:45 p.m.

Long time without an update: Mike, you called it on the valve cover, the bolts had been overtorqued it looked like and had dimpled the cover at each of the holes. I used a ball peen and my vise to try and flatten them back out. 

I ended up sending the carbs out to be rebushed and have the throttle shafts replaced. The guy discovered that the rear carb's dashpot had interference and would stick. It would take considerable force, even without the damper and oil in place, to move the damper up into the dome. Once elevated it wouldn't return. He ended up having to ream the dashpot dome a hair of a hair to get it to move smoothly again. I'm not sure if there was some kind of corrosion or dirt that got in there but I wonder to what extent that could have contributed to poor running conditions. 

Anyway I got a chance to rip it around the block for the first time in six months and it felt fun to be back behind the wheel. Hopefully winter holds off a little out here and I can get some miles on it before continuing the search for a manual transmission.

volvoclearinghouse
10/26/23 6:57 a.m.
orthoxstice
orthoxstice Reader
10/26/23 8:53 a.m.

I talked to that guy on turbobricks actually; it's shocking how similar our cars are. Same year, color, and (initial) condition! 

If I had the cash sitting around I'd jump right on it, but we just paid school district taxes and have a tree scheduled for removal next month so I have to keep the wallet locked up. 

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
10/26/23 4:43 p.m.

You might find it handy to add a air/fuel ratio gauge.  They are available on E-bay, fairly cheap.  You do have to add the O2 sensor, which would have been easy before installing the new down pipe.

Helps take some of the mystery out of tuning carbs.

volvoclearinghouse
10/27/23 11:47 a.m.
orthoxstice said:

I talked to that guy on turbobricks actually; it's shocking how similar our cars are. Same year, color, and (initial) condition! 

If I had the cash sitting around I'd jump right on it, but we just paid school district taxes and have a tree scheduled for removal next month so I have to keep the wallet locked up. 

I've spoken to him in person, and sold him that blue fender.  I've been tempted, too.  Interior looks nice

orthoxstice
orthoxstice Reader
11/4/23 11:57 p.m.

I took the car on a longer cruise today and feel pretty confident the stumble issue is resolved. I'll do a more thorough tune at some point but with the weather getting colder the car will most likely go back into the garage until spring. 

I do have a question though; what are people using for window channel guides? The original... felt? fuzzy stuff? is all totally worn out and so my windows rattle around like crazy when rolled up and it's absolutely maddening.

volvoclearinghouse
11/5/23 8:42 a.m.

In reply to ish_da :

I have a couple sets of 140 seats. I believe they are wider than the 122 seats, thought they use a similar attachment method to the floor. 

140s are getting pretty thin in junkyards now, too. I've yet to replace weatherstripping on an Amazon, but CVR should carry any of that stuff. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/5/23 11:06 a.m.

My local upholstery supply house carries window channel and felt.

The channel has a steel core and goes vertically along the front of the windows where it meets the wing window bar comes in like 4 foot lengths.

The flexible felt goes along the top and back of the windows and it comes in rolls.

You just take a piece of each of your old stuff to them so they can match up the proper width and buy as much new stuff as you need. 

Here is an example of what's out there. Most supply shops should carry similar or you could mail order it if you can't find it locally.

Four pages...

https://jjautofabrics.com/window-channel-types/?page=1

It beats paying some specialty place to sell you the exact same thing in an overpriced kit specifically marketed for your car.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice Reader
11/5/23 12:07 p.m.

This is all helpful; even just getting terminology that allows me to do a web search. I've been working on cars since I was 19 and I had no idea haha

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/5/23 7:05 p.m.

In reply to orthoxstice

The window channel in a 122 is from a universal supplier. Volvo bought it, and several universal auto body supply houses carry it by the foot. Check also McMaster car. Machinery often uses sliding windows.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice Reader
3/3/24 1:13 p.m.

Fired it up on the first sunny, warm day of spring (technically false spring, we usually get at least one more snowstorm in March here in western PA). Gave it a quick wash down the street at the self-service car wash and it's looking pretty good. 

Goals for this season are definitely to track down a manual transmission, driveshaft, clutch slave, and hardline so I can properly enjoy this car the way it was meant to be. Then I plan on starting to address some of the rust. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/3/24 1:17 p.m.

It's always a pleasure to get email notification of a new post on this thread. One of my favorites...

I think I speak for others when I say we are excited to see the transmission swap happen. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
3/3/24 3:17 p.m.

Not sure if it's still there but no nonsense knowhow on YouTube posted an Amazon in Philly that might be a donor for the manual trans bits.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/e1RrYBH5DaL1fCZT/?mibextid=WC7FNe

4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jASKlIIqx5s7pdCqNnJA3VjVA3xC0ua3nJkYIfrW7PHRYNsrwSbRseHsCWZW0dvC