1 2
B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
4/11/24 11:00 a.m.

Silvia Update: 

The last time I posted the Silvia was on its way to Arizona. Im happy to report that she arrived safely there. Over the past 9 months, she has been cared for by one of my dads best friends Greg at his "Datsun Ranch." Before my Dad passed away Greg agreed to help my dad get the Silvia ready the proper way for Bring a Trailer. Greg has had great success before preparing cars for BAT and as you well know that is no small feat. 

As you can see Silvia is in good hands and surrounded by good company.

Greg has done great work detailing and going over every original nut and bolt and maintenance item getting her into the best form and next week she will have her photo shoot. All of this progress is bittersweet but im grateful that we will be able to hand stewardship of this very very special car to someone else. 

We have learned many cool things about this little car that I will share in a later post. Many of which im not even sure my dad knew. Its so cool to see the Silvia all shined up and back to her original form that she once was when Classic Motorsports did an article on it all the way back in 2007. Classic Motorsports Article

Thanks for following Along. 

More updates coming soon. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
4/11/24 11:15 a.m.

That is a pretty car. Never seen one in person. Looking forward to learning more about it. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/11/24 11:44 a.m.

I had no idea they existed until I came across one in the Peterson. They've got very distinctive proportions.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
4/11/24 10:13 p.m.

This is a touching story. Motivating me to reach out to my pops while I still have the chance. Condolences for your loss.

Please keep the updates coming. 

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
4/12/24 8:25 p.m.

Today Silvia had her photo shoot out in Arizona. I cant wait to see how they turned out. Based on these two cell phone shots I know they are going to be amazing. 

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
4/15/24 1:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I had no idea they existed until I came across one in the Peterson. They've got very distinctive proportions.

Keith the one at the Peterson Museum is absolutely wonderful It is owned by the famous Myron Vernis AKA Junkman356. He and my Dad were friends and shared similar taste in vehicles. Myron and my Dad were probably the only people on planet earth to own both A Silvia, NSU Wankle Spider and a Suzuki RE5. 

My hope is that my Dad's silvia will go to a collector that will cherish it as much as he has. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/16/24 3:18 p.m.
B13Birk said:

Here is what we are working with: 

The 1965 NSU Wankel Spider - A write-up on him and this car was in Classic Motorsports a while back.

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/we-had-mazda-rx-7-nsu-gave-us-their-rotary-powered/?utm_content=buffer41dcc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=CMSFacebook&fbclid=IwAR1yyiXyCVXqR3c-YjBITGp6fuZ6xEvcMU8D6aXcaBekx176IJX5YdMqvvM

The 1968 Nissan Silvia - A write-up on him and this car was in Classic Motorsports a while back. 

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/rare-original-nissan-silvia/?utm_content=bufferfbf95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=CMSFacebook&fbclid=IwAR2R9uf6cuGN4kOq5N6

Both of these cars will be sold. They are both probably one of the top three examples in the world and I will never be able to provide the level of care they need. Frankly, they both belong in a museum. 

We will also be selling my Dad's 64 Datsun 411 Wagon, 64 Datsun Cameo pickup, 64 Datsun 320 pickup, his 1954 Ford C500 Cab Over, 1990ish D-sports racer, 1995 honda CBR 600 Smokin Joe Race Bike, 1975 RD 400 Race bike and other less notable vehicles. 

We plan to keep and preserve his 1996 Nissan Skyline GTR V-spec , 1972 LS3 powered Datsun 240z Race car, 1969 Datsun Roadster, 1964 Honda Dream 305,  1975 RD 350 

All of the vehicles are in need of various things so this will be a long process. But im excited to start the journey and bring you all long for the ride along the way. I know ill need the typical wisdom and encouragement I usually find in this forum to get through it all. And who knows, maybe someone here will be the next care taker of one of the vehicles next. 

As always, Thanks for reading along.

Now, Go Get Busy Living. 

Not sure how I missed this earlier, but I remember going for a ride in that Skyline when your dad visited our office. Sorry about your loss, but glad to hear his cars are still being loved. 

wyndscreen
wyndscreen New Reader
4/17/24 2:55 p.m.
B13Birk said:
Keith Tanner said:

Keith the one at the Peterson Museum is absolutely wonderful It is owned by the famous Myron Vernis AKA Junkman356. He and my Dad were friends and shared similar taste in vehicles. Myron and my Dad were probably the only people on planet earth to own both A Silvia, NSU Wankle Spider and a Suzuki RE5. 

My hope is that my Dad's silvia will go to a collector that will cherish it as much as he has. 

what an eccentric and fantastic collection of cars!

Love the family story and how it revolved around car life!

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
4/17/24 11:41 p.m.

Wow can't believe I missed this thread. Unbelievable and what a life well lived.

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
4/21/24 7:56 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That's awesome! He told me all about bringing the car out to the office back then. He was pumped that you all were pumped to see the car. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/22/24 7:35 a.m.

That's the prettiest little truck I've seen in a while!

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
5/2/24 4:04 p.m.

Well. Its official. Silvia is live on Bring a Trailer. 

This has been a long process. But the sale of this car will allow us to finish and preserve the other cars and motorcycles in my dads collection. Its bittersweet to see the car go up for sale. But the response it has gotten so far is truly incredible. The comment section is going nuts with high praise for the incredibly rare car. My Dad would be so proud of that. 

Here is the BAT Link below. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-nissan-silvia-3/

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
5/13/24 11:09 a.m.

Well our little Silvia is off to her new home. 

I was extremely surprised that It didn't take off. So was everyone else!

If Im being honest. I was pissed. 

The reserve was not close to being met. 

Luckily we were able to come to a great sales agreement with The Mike Malamut Museum in California. My dad would be thrilled to know his car will be taken care of at this level and shared with others to see for a very long time. 

She will look great sitting next to the other Nissan /  Datsun in the collection. 

https://malamutautomuseumfoundation.org/

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/13/24 10:08 p.m.

I went to the museum page and just killed two hours.  What a neat collection.  What an appropriate spot for the Silvia.  I'm glad it worked out after the auction.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0LgLPPyHZVnrs7lUBgkLSjwYiqnoMWEQ3Gan5ZG0ancNJbG2xFwLUBqyNEN888yg