8/25/17 4:22 p.m.
Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/25/17 4:27 p.m.

Didn't most of those evolve into SRF?

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
8/28/17 8:42 a.m.

There was a conversion kit. Not sure if it is still avail, and what it costs, lots of stuff has to be replaced.

200mph
200mph New Reader
8/28/17 8:43 a.m.

Many did, but not all were converted... the conversion cost was as much as the car was worth with the Renault. . BTW, I have a leftover Renault SR carb, intake manifold, and UNDANAGED header and exhaust if anyone is interested.

simontibbett
simontibbett Reader
8/28/17 12:09 p.m.

That seems like a really good deal for a purpose built race car. 1.6 SM money.

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
8/28/17 12:11 p.m.

trash the renault and spec ford crap, find a better fwd engine and trans like a duratec with a zf 6 speed, or something japanese

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
8/28/17 12:23 p.m.

This is actually an interesting time to look at one of these. The SRF just evolved to the third generation with a new Ford drive package, brakes, and other upgrades. It's a $10k+ deal to turn what a SRF2 into a SRF3, but you could get started more cheaply with a SR.

By considering a non-SCCA compliant driveline, you are possibly creating a cool car, but destroying the value of the car as it will no longer fit into the SRF class. I understand that some SCCA regions are going to run SRF2 classes, and I believe that you can compete in the SR with some vintage racing organizations.

simontibbett
simontibbett Reader
8/28/17 12:28 p.m.

Run in vintage and just throw whatever engine you want into it.

Now I want it to put a K20 in it...

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
9/5/17 10:06 p.m.

These cars were built to spec. and trying to run it in another "sports racing"  class you   will just end up as a back marker at best. The cars were built "strong & heavy"  I.E. their "tanks". I say the in a good way as they can take a hit and these cars do hit each other while racing.    Either run the car as is in "vintage" or seek out those racing groups that still allow you to run it as a SR.  Midwestern  Council still has a class for these cars.   http://www.mcscc.org/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gmEyszp5pi3VEKrnre8cah0f3g2hEqqTxK8T0Nice3sefjhByETNGGyLNnhnvGFd