J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/16/24 8:35 a.m.

Stock cars. Big. Loud. Basic. They can be found at major vintage races as well as on the greens of The Amelia. Sure, these machines may lack the elegance, grace and sophistication of a sports car, but that’s exactly the appeal to those who love them.

“They’re a lot of fun,”…

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/16/24 11:00 a.m.

I never considered the safety part, but it makes a lot of sense. I've seen the kind of carnage a stock car can endure and have the driver emerge unscathed.

Zipper666
Zipper666 New Reader
2/16/24 1:57 p.m.

Oval track cars are built with a strong weight bias to the left. It would be an immense job to strip the bare chassis and realign the steering, suspension and drive train to permit use on a road course.
Maybe buy one of the plastic shells and put a regular street racer under it ? 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/19/24 7:59 a.m.
Zipper666 said:

Oval track cars are built with a strong weight bias to the left. It would be an immense job to strip the bare chassis and realign the steering, suspension and drive train to permit use on a road course.
Maybe buy one of the plastic shells and put a regular street racer under it ? 

Certainly not disagreeing with converting oval-track cars to road racing ones - it would take a bit of work to get everything square and not left-side-biased - but the cars are much easier to work with than a street car. As the article mentions, NASCAR has run on road courses for years, and the purpose-built road course cars would be the easy ticket.

As far as putting a street car underneath a shell - I don't believe the rules would allow that to run with the stock cars. The intent of the class is to let old NASCAR stock cars ride again. Even running other oval-track chassis that are built relatively square, such as a perimeter chassis - like what Trans Am TA2 runs these days - would require adding a ton of weight.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YBqqW8ywHVwc5zmaAWUQ7NGJ0cGcZQJ9PMOZDvWaaFuCWjwkNgQKczqnevXObpGm