1/2/23 12:41 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

I need the 14 hour test at a Champcar race on a FWD lol

At Sebring or at the Glen?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/3/23 6:02 p.m.
latelifecrisis said:

What tire pressures were run with Re-71RS?

I just bought same tires for my track focused ND2.

For that test, we ran them 24 cold warming to 30 hot...but have since moved up 2 psi based on the wear pattern...and they haven't gotten any slower doing so. 

In fact, we just recently turned our fastest laps ever in the Triple Threat ND with RE-71RS at 3/32nds and 32 psi hot.  We might have upgraded the coilovers too, though.  :)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/4/23 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Coil-overs? Do tell. :) 

And thank you for sharing the pressures. 

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
1/4/23 11:58 a.m.

Has anyone tried Riken Raptor ZR A/S tires?  They are 300 tread wear,  and I believe Riken is owned by Michilen.  I would use them in local autocross events.  And they are cheap, I'm so cheap I squeeze a nickel until the buffalo bleeds.

David Elfering
David Elfering Reader
2/12/23 8:57 p.m.

Andy and team, thank you for the periodic updates to the tests. These are fun but also informative. Yoks don't work for my camber limited application, but I also only buy one set of tires for each autox season. I'm curious about the longevity of the stones vs the Kumhos. 

David Elfering
David Elfering Reader
2/12/23 8:57 p.m.

Andy and team, thank you for the periodic updates to the tests. These are fun but also informative. Yoks don't work for my camber limited application, but I also only buy one set of tires for each autox season. I'm curious about the longevity of the stones vs the Kumhos. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
2/13/23 7:43 a.m.
David Elfering said:

Kumhos last longer than the Stones, for sure...at the expense of pace.  I'd estimate the durability difference at 30% and pace delta of .5-1 second.  You can see all of that in the Ultimate Track Tire Guide summary chart.

Jordanmilo
Jordanmilo New Reader
2/22/24 4:18 p.m.

Has anyone daily driven either of these tires?  I sold my autocross only Miata for a 2023 Honda Civic Si as both my autocross and daily driver. So I need a tire that can do both. I'm a firm practitioner of path-of-least-resistance autocrossing, so I'm not going to get a second set of wheels and swap at the event (I do have winter tires and wheels). I'm thinking I'd like a set of RE-71RS, but not if they'll be dead in two months. Figure 6 events a year, including a 200 mile round trip. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
2/22/24 9:03 p.m.
Jordanmilo said:

Has anyone daily driven either of these tires?  I sold my autocross only Miata for a 2023 Honda Civic Si as both my autocross and daily driver. So I need a tire that can do both. I'm a firm practitioner of path-of-least-resistance autocrossing, so I'm not going to get a second set of wheels and swap at the event (I do have winter tires and wheels). I'm thinking I'd like a set of RE-71RS, but not if they'll be dead in two months. Figure 6 events a year, including a 200 mile round trip. 

Tom and I did 3500 highway miles and 40 hard competition laps on a set of RE71RS during last year's One Lap of America and still had tread left. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer New Reader
2/23/24 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Jordanmilo :

My DD tires were re71rs, but I wfh. So very little miles. If you're packing on 15k miles a year... it might be an expensive habit. Driving to events, etc is a non issue

Jordanmilo
Jordanmilo New Reader
2/23/24 5:39 p.m.

In reply to theruleslawyer :

Thanks.  I don't drive nearly 15k a year:  I have a very short daily commute, plus I run winter tires from around November to April (I like to say Thanksgiving to tax day); so I'd bet 5k a year is all these tires would see.  So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Bridgies and hope for the best.  I think I'm also going to keep the factory Goodyear all-seasons, in case the 71's wear out and I don't want to to buy a new set towards the end of the season.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
2/23/24 8:41 p.m.
Jordanmilo said:

In reply to theruleslawyer :

So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Bridgies and hope for the best. 

That's the spirit!

I'm sure you know this, but with FWD rotation is key to making the whole set last.  We ran the Thunderhill 25H with Civic Si's on RE71RS and never changed rear tires on one car.  Fronts only went six hours, though.

Jordanmilo
Jordanmilo New Reader
2/25/24 12:47 a.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Thanks. I suspected that. This is my 1st FWD autocross car. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fQvbsDqifmTDyQan2dVC4RAzrmCBSsLpTvyWBaQwsmMnBI1I66n0Ky7JEa4VjftO