1 2
Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
3/30/11 8:59 a.m.

The 2011 Ultimate Track Car Challenge is just a few months away, so it's time to get things warmed up for our annual time trial event for the coolest track cars in the country.

The details live at http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/UTCC2011/

The format is very similar to last year, though one big change is that we're doing away with our four classes in favor of a much broader range of Trophy Sponsors. Details will be forthcoming, but look for this to increase prize money in a variety of categories throughout the field. As always, we're looking for a broad range of awesome entries, from naturally aspirated front-wheel drive cars to carbon-fiber monocoque purebred track terrors.

As always, our friends at NASA Mid-Atlantic will be handling the sanctioning and logistics of the track event, and their Time Trial director, Jon Felton, will once again be the man in charge of licensing and safety. In a nutshell, all drivers must have a NASA Time Trial or equivalent license, and all cars must pass a NASA tech inspection. I'm sure he'll chime in here with more details, and he's very good about answering questions.

Think you've got an awesome car? Want to see how it measures up in a no-holds-barred contest of speed against the clock? The Ultimate Track Car Challenge is for you.

getfast
getfast New Reader
3/30/11 11:27 a.m.

Hey Scott and hello everyone! We at NASA-MA are very excited about the 2011 running of this very fun event, and once again thank you so much to GRM for making it happen.

I will be adding more details to this thread shortly so all interested participants can refer to it for the next few months. But first things first, I am the main point of contact for most NASA related concerns (general event or track related questions, tech inspection questions, licensing/qualification questions, etc); if I can't help you properly I can definitely put you in touch with the person who can. Best way to reach me is via email to jon(at)get-fast(dot)net. I can also usually be reached at 804-397-FAST, but email is preferred. Thanks again and watch for more info soon!

getfast
getfast New Reader
3/30/11 7:24 p.m.

[Although admittedly this is very similar to what was published in prior years, some of it has changed. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. -Jon]

The 2011 UTCC is effectively a NASA TT run by GRM's categories instead of NASA TT classing. It will be much like the fourth annual event at VIR last summer, i.e. on the 3.3 mile full course with tentatively two run groups ("big bore" and "small bore" or similar.) Spaces are somewhat limited so please don't hesitate to get your Cardomain pages set up!

Once invites have been sent, registration will take place through http://www.nasaproracing.com . All drivers will need to be NASA members and all cars will need to have an AMB transponder on board (we will have rentals available.) All cars will also need to pass a NASA HPDE pre-tech and drivers will need to bring a completed copy of that form (we double check it and issue the tech sticker on site, starting at ~6:30pm the night before.) Approved helmets, long pants, long sleeve shirts, and closed-toe shoes are mandatory. NASA- and VIR-approved rollbars are required in convertibles, and drivers must pass the "broomstick test." Further safety equipment (cages, harnesses, H&N restraints, window nets, etc) is optional but highly recommended. Please note though, further safety systems will need to conform to the NASA CCR (example: certain 4-point belts aren't allowed.)

On event day, registered drivers can expect a warmup session then at least two or three, but possibly more, 15+ minute timed sessions per group. Passing rules are "anywhere with or without a point-by" and fastest lap of the day counts. Session times will be DQ'd for drivers who have any contact, 4-off, spin, or significant loss of control. Repeat offenders will be dealt with harshly - we didn't have any repeat offenders at last two runnings of the UTCC, so I'm hoping that trend will continue. Also, later timed sessions will be gridded by prior session times to hopefully give everyone at least a few hot laps before having to deal with traffic.

Now back to the beginning as far as driver qualifications go. Keep in mind, safety is of utmost importance as far as NASA and GRM are concerned. Also that this event will feature a wide range of cars with a theoretically larger than usual spread in terms of lap times and closing speeds. Combine that with our open passing rules, as well as the aforementioned fact that cages and soforth are recommended but not required, and you will understand why we can only allow highly skilled drivers with significant related experience.

Having said that - everyone driving in the '11 UTCC will need to show one of the following to get on track:

-a current pro (ALMS/Grand-Am/etc) roadracing license;

-a current SCCA regional/national non rookie roadracing license;

-a current NASA non rookie roadracing license (hard card);

-a current NASA TT license (hard card);

-a provisional NASA TT license issued in 2011 (paper copy with two signatures) and a written waiver from me personally.

How does this last requirement work? The document I mention is here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rules-forms/Time-Trial-License.pdf

There are two levels involved if this applies to you (i.e. you don't have one of the other licenses listed way above.) The first level is equivalent experience. If you have proof of this, and possibly specific history & references if needed, I will double-sign and snail mail you the form with two signatures and the written waiver. These are effectively the tickets you will show to get your UTCC run group wristband on event day. These qualifications include, but are not necessarily limited to:

-NASA instructor hard card

-NASA or SCCA rookie roadracing permits (if obtained via equivalent experience - i.e. one 3-day Skippy school isn't equivalent)

-BMWCCA and PCA rookie or non-rookie roadracing permits

-various regional organization rookie or non-rookie roadracing permits

-various vintage organization rookie or non-rookie roadracing permits

The second level is minimum experience. Specifically we need proof of at least 4+ weekends of NASA-MA HPDE3 Advanced or direct equivalent, passing-in-corners, non-instructed road course driving experience in the last 2 years. We will need to see groups, dates, passing rules, passing zones, and references. Depending upon who this was with, when it was, and what your references say, this may or may not require a check ride at any NASA roadcourse event anywhere in the country between now and the UTCC in July. You will then either get the signed paper TT license in the mail, or have it generated/signed when your check ride is done.

Across the board we handle these licensing issues on a case by case basis, and I'm the main point of contact for those purposes.

Also, just as before, if you have a hot car that gets accepted - but you aren't quite qualified as a driver - you are welcome to bring a 'ringer' for those purposes as long as that person meets the driver requirements stated above. Offhand I can think of several seriously fast drivers who are interested & available, so if that's a possibility you would consider, please don't hesitate to contact Scott and I so we can put you in touch with 'em.

Thanks!

TannerdogMotorsports
TannerdogMotorsports New Reader
4/7/11 6:37 p.m.

I hope to be welcomed again this year. What an awesome event this is for all of us drivers. Can I start a challenge for the biggest GRM logo on the car category? I have the trunk lid of my me otter covered with a GRM logo.

Just a thought...nothing implied other then getting larger GRM stickers on cars to promote the greatest mag ever.

getfast
getfast New Reader
4/7/11 6:42 p.m.

You could always do it like Ricky Bobby

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
4/15/11 8:13 p.m.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons...

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/14/11 12:18 p.m.

Any updates on this awesome event? Where do I find entry lists, classes and schedules?

getfast
getfast New Reader
5/15/11 8:51 p.m.

Schedule most likely won't be published (by NASA) until the week prior.

Entry list may be posted a bit earlier (by NASA), but isn't final until the morning of the event.

Shortcutsleeping
Shortcutsleeping New Reader
5/16/11 11:45 a.m.

From the original post:

"The format is very similar to last year, though one big change is that we're doing away with our four classes in favor of a much broader range of Trophy Sponsors. Details will be forthcoming, but look for this to increase prize money in a variety of categories throughout the field."

Any news here?

Scott Lear
5/19/11 12:46 p.m.

Details on the trophy sponsorships coming very soon, looks like we've got about 20 Trophies total, and we're working to get sponsors for as many as we can.

FAASST
FAASST
5/23/11 1:07 p.m.

Hello Everyone!

FAASST Performance is offering open lapping to any UTCC participants who need extra time to dial in their car before the UTCC event :)

Date: July 21, 2011 Location: VIR North Course - Track hot 10 to 5 Cost: $235 PER CAR - lap on our guest schedule - about 4.5+ hours of seat time Register: www.faasst.com/registration.html

Thanks to Scott for letting us make this announcement to all the UTCC participants.

Questions: Call us 719-761-1372 Ask for Judy LAPPING REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS MAY 31! - We have room for 20 cars, first come, first served.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
5/23/11 2:18 p.m.

Great news, Judy! An extended session like that could shave a lot of time from an entrant's fastest lap.

I love this event.

getfast
getfast New Reader
5/23/11 5:57 p.m.

Just to clarify... the UTCC is on the 3.27 mile full course and the aforementioned day-before deal is on the 2.25 mile north course. So you could dial in your car, just not for the climbing esses or oak tree corner or top speed on the back straight.

Scott Lear
6/28/11 9:54 a.m.

Hi all UTCC hopefuls! Our invitations have been sent, but only those who contacted me directly with the information requested in one of our Ultimate Track Car Challenge email blasts received an invitation. If for whatever reason you tried to contact us but feel your message didn't make it through due to spam filters or internet weirdness, please don't hesitate to email me at scott@grassrootsmotorsports.com. The event is filling up quickly, but we always have a few withdrawals in the weeks before the event, too.

Should be an awesome event!

Scott Lear
7/1/11 10:00 a.m.

Check out the recently-posted list of Trophies for this year's Pirelli Ultimate Track Car Challenge:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/UTCC2011/

getfast
getfast New Reader
7/6/11 1:21 p.m.
FAASST wrote: Hello Everyone! FAASST Performance is offering open lapping to any UTCC participants who need extra time to dial in their car before the UTCC event :) Date: July 21, 2011 Location: VIR North Course - Track hot 10 to 5 Cost: $235 PER CAR - lap on our guest schedule - about 4.5+ hours of seat time Register: www.faasst.com/registration.html Thanks to Scott for letting us make this announcement to all the UTCC participants. Questions: Call us 719-761-1372 Ask for Judy LAPPING REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS MAY 31! - We have room for 20 cars, first come, first served.

I heard this day-before event was cancelled, true or false?

getfast
getfast New Reader
7/6/11 1:27 p.m.
getfast wrote: Thanks again and watch for more info soon!

Entry list is starting to fill, and there's some serious hardware on it, not to mention some truly skilled drivers. Can't wait!

Just a reminder... if you got an invite, that's technically for your car. You still need to have a qualified driver. See my posts above or contact me privately if there's any question about it. Better to handle these things sooner vs. later.

Also - if you're looking for additional fun during your VIR visit, please stay and run Sat-Sun with us in the appropriate HPDE, TT, or roadracing group. Details & pre-reg are at https://nasaproracing.com/event/1272

And lastly, we do have 120min arrive & drive kart enduros on Fri & Sat nights. Details & pre-reg are at https://nasaproracing.com/event/1273 (Fri) and https://nasaproracing.com/event/1274 (Sat)

Thanks and see you at VIR in a few weeks!

getfast
getfast New Reader
7/14/11 4:13 p.m.

Tentative UTCC schedule has been posted at http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_July_11/event.htm

Direct link (version 1, not necessarily final) http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_July_11/VIR_Schedule_July_2011_Fri_v1.pdf

getfast
getfast New Reader
7/14/11 4:15 p.m.

Same as last year, tentatively, the warmup will be shared by everyone THEN we will split the field into two groups for three timed sessions each. Each driver's fastest lap in any of those three sessions is what counts toward the final results.

If we get a bunch more signups between now and next Friday we may split the group into 2 warmups also.

Stay tuned for updates...

getfast
getfast New Reader
7/16/11 11:39 a.m.
getfast wrote: Tentative UTCC schedule has been posted at http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_July_11/event.htm

Tentative UTCC entry list so far will be posted there shortly as well. Direct link https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AtO5TecrDcGQdHdPcERSRWRIRUJzX0l0MWRKUlV2TlE&output=html

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg HalfDork
7/17/11 10:57 a.m.

Question, will passengers be allowed at the UTCC? I know they are at most club trackdays (VIR club for instance) but I didn't know if the TT-esque theme of the event would preclude passengers or not

getfast
getfast New Reader
7/17/11 11:10 a.m.

Indeed, no passengers during UTCC sessions because they are timed...

Interested persons may however get rides on Friday in the sessions that are labeled "Open Practice" on the schedule. Or on Sat/Sun in HPDE3 or HPDE4. Simply report to registration to sign the passenger waiver and gain a ride-along wristband. Bring your helmet so we can make sure it's legal, or we have loaners available (registration can help with that as well.) Then be up on grid 5-10min before those sessions and tell the grid staff you're looking for a ride.

Registration is located in the side room of the tech shed at the bottom of the paddock and will be open during the times specified on the schedule.

getfast
getfast Reader
7/20/11 11:14 a.m.

All UTCC participants, please check your email for a big message with many related details! If you did not receive it, please let me know ASAP. Thanks and see most of you tomorrow evening!

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
7/21/11 9:21 p.m.

Lots of interesting machinery has shown up. Should be a great day!

getfast
getfast Reader
7/21/11 9:54 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I27Lkb0T0njMb9pYUpLpiE30ATOFNgvPzni9fVGJe6tCK6YpDe0IotMyzATG1NBB