glueguy
glueguy Reader
12/10/13 9:12 a.m.

Sun faded and dead. Is there any way to revive this? Is there any easy way to GRM fix this? Will scuffing and spraying with clear help or would I need to do a base and clear on essentially the entire roof?

photo 325cirooffade_zps349fcd84.jpg

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/10/13 9:57 a.m.

Nope......repaint time.

glueguy
glueguy Reader
12/10/13 10:13 a.m.

Thinking I could meld this into the ricey thread and vinyl "wrap" just the roof portion. On second thought, I wonder if that is such a bad idea? Oh yeah, I would actually have to buy the car first.....

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/10/13 10:31 a.m.

I'm considering spraying the roof and hood of our Protege with black PlastiDip. Right now, the roof paint looks just like yours.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
12/10/13 10:51 a.m.

It's the roof. Just do a vinyl on it and call it done.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
12/10/13 1:20 p.m.

I wish imagecave hadn't gone down and taken all my older pics with it. I saved worse than that on an old Jetta some years back. The clear was peeling and what was left looked like that. I just did a light wetsand, seriously degrease with brakleen and then blend in with some duplicolor clear from the "auto" section of the closest department store. Cut and buff the whole panel afterward.

photo IMG_0038copy.jpg

The tops of the fenders and bumpers in this pic were repaired done. You had to get up close to notice.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields New Reader
12/12/13 7:30 a.m.

I've talked to a few paint and body guys about a similar situation, and they all say you have to sand it down to the primer and repaint if you want it to last. It gets really expensive, which explains why half the cars on Craigslist have paint that looks like that.

The vinyl wrap idea for the roof and hood seems promising. Hopefully it would only be a fraction of the cost of a complete wrap.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/13/13 8:48 p.m.

The roof and hood are relatively easy to wrap, since they're flat. You could do it yourself and even throw away the first attempt, and you'd still come out cheaper than paying someone to do it.

I did the decklid on my Fiero in gloss black vinyl and it turned out pretty good for a first attempt. It's holding up very well even with all the heat back there. I'm doing the roof next..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9BHgMBbvynrAZYJWFsTLi5HsWOWu1XB5NWebGZIh8BnEyCJudXvYmI4eArhJAqJA