Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/21/12 7:07 p.m.

Celebrity endorsement time:

I don't have any before and after photos, but I just used one of these kits on a dime-sized star crack on my truck's windshield. While it's not completely invisible, the damaged area is actually hard to find now. This is the second time I've used one of these and, for $12, they do a hell of a nice job.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
8/21/12 7:12 p.m.

Just used the Fix-a-Flat brand one on the wife's Protege5, it had a bullseye a little smaller than a dime. It's a big improvement, looks ok from the outside, but you can definitely still see where it was on the inside, though.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
8/21/12 7:33 p.m.

yep, I used the same on on the WRX where I got a rock hit. I don't know where the repair was now, and it was pretty close to my line of sight when driving...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
8/21/12 8:15 p.m.

Doesn't comprehensive insurance cover (free) windshield repair?

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
8/21/12 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Only if you carry comprehensive. I don't on anything.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
8/21/12 9:03 p.m.

Comp is pretty much mandatory in deer country(up here we have deer big enough to do serious frame damage), cheap too, I even have it on my Yugo.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/21/12 10:41 p.m.

difference between comprehensive and min is like $120 a YEAR...

I'd dropped it for a month back but then got to thinking about all the illegals on the road around here... back on it goes...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/21/12 10:46 p.m.

I knew a guy with a Pathfinder who had the glass shot out by kids with a pellet gun. His windshield was $1000 and the rear glass was $1300. I've carried comp ever since, though I forgot about the crack repair coverage.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
8/22/12 12:06 a.m.

When I bought my windshield repair kit from Harbor Freight 3 years ago the vials inside were all labeled permatex. It has held up great.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
8/22/12 7:42 p.m.

A friend of mine had his Jag XJ6 parked in a locked shop. Someone randomly put a 9mm round through the roller door of the shop. The slug when through the rear window, hit the windshield (shattering both) and stopped on the dash. No other damage. Comprehensive insurance for the win.

I've used that same kit on my Miata. It worked well enough that I'd rather not replace the windshield. The repair has lasted over three years.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/22/12 8:41 p.m.
Woody wrote: though I forgot about the crack repair coverage.

How could you forget so soon? Didn't you just soft-advise me that might be the way to go for the 911 window, ahem, repair?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/22/12 8:45 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Woody wrote: though I forgot about the crack repair coverage.
How could you forget so soon? Didn't you just soft-advise me that might be the way to go for the 911 window, ahem, repair?

I bought the kit two weeks ago. Plus, I kind of wanted to try it myself.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer New Reader
2/1/24 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic :

Usually. However for a small chip they are going to do the same thing pretty much. Less hassle and no claim record. If it cracks, it is insurance time for sure.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hl5EZIfW7sU5CfHlWYh7a6Un3IiomPxVejKTtYf6GUwJceaKI8fGvuYtLDSC74ug