1 2 3
Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/9/11 1:52 p.m.

Editorial Position Available

Motorsport Marketing, Inc., an equal opportunity employer based in the Daytona Beach, Fla. area, is searching for an editorial person for their magazine titles Grassroots Motorsports and Classic Motorsports. This is a full-time, in-house position with room for advancement. Candidates should have a degree in journalism, communications, English, public relations or closely related field of study; photography skills are a plus, and equivalent experience will be considered. Competitive salary based on experience and ability.

If you are passionate and knowledgeable about the written word, can grab a reader’s interest and effectively communicate those feelings, and are looking for a dynamic, creative workplace, this is what we need from you:

1. A one-page letter about yourself and why you would be the right person for this job.
  2. An up-to-date resumé.
  3. Three references (with phone numbers and email addresses).
  4. A 300-word sample of your writing.
  5. Salary requirements.

To be considered, you must send the above to: employment@grassrootsmotorsports.com before April 1, 2011. We will notify respondents by email before April 15th, 2011. Please note that all correspondence must use this email address; Motorsport Marketing will not accept calls or emails to other addresses about this job position from potential applicants.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
3/9/11 2:03 p.m.

Cool deal for someone in the industry. Nice to know some mags are hiring. My sisters boyfriend is refugee from Blender Mag. He just found a job this past year after 2 years of no full time work.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
3/9/11 2:34 p.m.

Tell me this isn't an April fools thing.

Please.

Per Schroeder
3/9/11 2:35 p.m.

It isn't an April Fools thing.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/9/11 2:38 p.m.

what if I didnt have a degree, but had spent a relevant amount of time in the industry (as a gearhead I mean )?

jk!!

To whoever you hire:

you just got an awesome job at an awesome place! dont berk it up!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/9/11 2:53 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

You'd still have a shot, since the ad says "equivalent experience will be considered." Unfortunately, you would've failed your first test, reading comprehension, and would thus not have a shot.

Although I am j/k, remember, the best jokes contain a kernel of truth.

Margie

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/9/11 3:18 p.m.

I can haz read?

touche Marjorie! Its too bad you guys have to be Fl, my commute from Cinci would be a bear. From what I read, and knowing some of your employees (knowing - meaning: what I read on this forum), your office sounds like a great place to work, and you guys definitely have the best finished product for racing enthusiasts out there. Im honest when I say that whoever ends up filling this position is really getting a job many of us salivate over.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/9/11 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Per Schroeder:

Would I have to leave the Great White North and move to Daytona Beach to suffer through those Florida winters?

Seriously, I'm almost considering applying. I used to write for a classic car magazine in the late 80's and early 90's. I'm also a pro photographer (part time).

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/9/11 3:36 p.m.

salary requirements.........we know you guys all easily pull down 6+ figures.....

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/9/11 4:16 p.m.

I'm sorely tempted to apply, even though I fulfill none of your requirements. (Though i can write a hell of a post.)

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/9/11 5:20 p.m.

pete240z, nobody here makes less than that (per month).With what we charge for subscriptions and to use this message board, we had to buy two tractor trailer trucks to take all the money to the bank very day.

Seriously, think about it guys... today is the first day of the rest of your life and those who can put up with Per's tyranny for six months, usually stay for life.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
3/9/11 5:21 p.m.

If you can wait a year until I'm out of the Army, I would be happy to apply...

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/9/11 5:52 p.m.

Man...I always wanted to write for a car mag.

I shall live vicariously.

phinz
phinz New Reader
3/9/11 6:02 p.m.

Though I haven't been in the industry for years (I got stuck in an HR position after searching for work in the industry for too long), I do have a Print Journalism degree, having served in college as a Copy Editor, Chief Copy Editor, Online Editor and Editorial Columnist. I have editorial and music review tear sheets from college. I fancy myself a decent amateur photographer who is constantly seeking to learn from others, and I even come with my own halfway-decent equipment. I've owned several Miatas over the years and have participated in the build of several Spec Miatas.

The hardest part about this, if I were to be chosen for the position, would be moving after having just finished an epic build on a killer tiki bar in my basement.

I need to polish up my resumé. This looks like a killer opportunity that has knocked a second time. I'd be a fool for not at least answering the door and seeing if I'm who you are looking for.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
3/9/11 6:14 p.m.

I can't say you didn't make me think about it...

Per Schroeder
3/9/11 6:55 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Seriously, think about it guys... today is the first day of the rest of your life and those who can put up with Scott's grotesquely sunny disposition for six months, usually stay for life.

Fixed.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
3/9/11 7:03 p.m.

OK that sorts it. You can expect my information in the next couple days, just have to choose the right writing sample (easier said than done when you've been writing for five years).

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/9/11 7:05 p.m.

whoever gets this gig...I'm jealous of you

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
3/9/11 7:18 p.m.

Hell, I just re-read that description 5 times. Ever think of having a field office in PA? It could make setup for Carlisle easier.

I have a degree in communications, write a column for my car club's newsletter on a regular basis, and my day gig comes to an end as of August 31. I do have Plan A in progress for September 1.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/9/11 7:32 p.m.

Hmmm...

Consider my application sent!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter SuperDork
3/9/11 7:35 p.m.

Don't let Tim fool ya, Per's a good guy.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/9/11 9:05 p.m.

I write market strategy for Citigroup. I sent a sample of my writing. If it piques your interest I will follow up with the rest.

Great opportunity for someone.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/9/11 9:23 p.m.
Moparman wrote: I write market strategy for Citigroup. I sent a sample of my writing. If it piques your interest I will follow up with the rest. Great opportunity for someone.

I think an excellent market strategy for Citigroup would be to excuse the mortgage balance on a married couple in Palm Coast with five parrots. This happens and your resume is heading to the top of the pile soooooo fast...

Holla at a brotha if you need a loan number....

jg

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/9/11 9:32 p.m.

If it was up to me something could be worked out. Someday when I am no longer bound by my employer I will enlighten you to just how dysfunctional the mortgage and housing industries became. It is far worse than ANY media source has reported. This is because they don't know what questions to ask and where to look.

I am on the trading and strategy side so I don't deal with individual mortgages, but if you want to renegotiate mortgage terms, Citi has been very accommodative since the government bail out.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/9/11 10:13 p.m.

Too bad I can't write for E36 M3. Otherwise, I'm decently qualified.

And I don't think my post count and board rank would help.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6z4K22RWxljsUAhv8yq1CmpPGqYzlxVt4yVpTBelsLEcAkqjwMHa1PHxf4Dsu3R2