2 3 4 5
TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
2/10/11 6:44 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: So, a lot has happened in the last hour. As if I needed more projects... I think I'm going to get that 5.3/T56 S10. Then my neighbor is going to buy my F150 and give me an 85 S10 blazer with no title for $100. So... I can take the 5.3/T56 out of the S10 to go in my 67 Lemans. The 326/PG from the Lemans can go in my 66 Bonneville. The 2.8/5sp in his blazer can go in the S10, then I can sell the S10 for $500 as a beater truck and ditch the blazer for scrap. Three vehicles will get motors/transmissions for a total investment of $1500 and a crap load of labor. Good lord what am I getting myself into?

Have you seen that TV show "Intervention"? This sounds like a candidate

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
2/10/11 7:04 p.m.

So you're essentially selling your truck and a few hundred hours labor for an engine and transmission?

I have some trades that I'd like to make with you.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/10/11 8:02 p.m.
Good lord what am I getting myself into?

uhhhh.. sounds like a WHOLE LOT.

I wont try to talk you out of it, i have these kinds of ideas too and on a long enough time frame they DO happen.. but im talking a year or two.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
2/10/11 8:28 p.m.

OK, so here is the trade. You buy a Ford Freestyle with under 80,000 miles in great condition and start driving to Greer, SC. I'll start driving to you in my Volvo. When we meet, we switch keys and I give you 5 grand. That's a way better trade than some engine transmission job that requires a few hundred hours of labor, and you get a turbo Volvo. Plus, you probably have connections and can get your hands on a sweet Freestyle and make out on the deal.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
2/10/11 8:30 p.m.

i'd honestly DD the S10 - use it as a mobile drivetrain holding cart for until you need the engine/trans

you might realize you really like it and knock down the mpg you are looking for with the insane 6th gear in the t56.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
2/10/11 8:35 p.m.

And which of those are you planning to take to work then? Just wondering...

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
2/10/11 9:13 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: And which of those are you planning to take to work then? Just wondering...

Me too - no real answer to your question I guess.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
2/10/11 9:54 p.m.

Sounds like you are going to get a lot accomplished. Killing a flock of birds with one stone is a good thing.

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
2/10/11 10:53 p.m.

Well, I bought it. I decided if it was drivable I'd take it just for the parts value. When I test drove it, the steering was tight, it never got above 180 degrees, it had all the "right" conversion parts like motor mounts, headers, tranny crossmember, etc. The brakes are good, the heater works, the speedo works (but its off a little), the fuel gauge works, all the lights work, the clutch is good, and the real bonus was that it has an aluminum flywheel and Spec clutch.

The only two problems I found were the carb wants to run a little lean on tip-in (fixable) and the second and fifth gear synchros will let it slip in a little soon if you push it hard. For cripes sake the upholstery is even good.

I think I'll shop for an EFI intake and computer. I did some research and I can get it to pass smog if I can keep that Holley leaned out enough for the test, but that's a big IF. The stickers are good through May, so I have 3.5 months to figure that out.

The fun part is that if you stab the throttle in 5th on the highway you can do a 1-leg burnout at 70mph.

Overall, I test drove it for about 20 minutes, then had a 1-hour trip home and I was more than happy. Solid frame, straight body with one dent in the quarter and a little rust on the hood, but really solid. The truck itself only has 159k on it.

So, here's the tentative plan:

• 326/Powerglide from Lemans to Bonneville.
  • 5.3/T56 from S10 to Lemans
  • 2.8/5sp, seats, and hood from buddies S10 Blazer to the S10
  • Sell the S10/2.8 to my other buddy who needs a beater truck.

I am a berkeleying moron.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/10/11 11:41 p.m.

Your words...

But the s10 sounds like a smokin deal!

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
2/10/11 11:47 p.m.

drive the S10

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
2/11/11 12:44 a.m.
Vigo wrote:
Your words...

My wife's facebook status says "OMG, he actually bought another car."

Anyone know a good divorce lawyer? I mean, just in case....

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
2/11/11 5:40 a.m.

Sounds like a plan!

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/11/11 9:55 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: So you're essentially selling your truck and a few hundred hours labor for an engine and transmission? I have some trades that I'd like to make with you.

I think you missed one key word:

"buy my F150 and give me an 85 S10 blazer"

ww
ww SuperDork
2/11/11 11:26 a.m.
My wife's facebook status says "OMG, he actually bought another car." Anyone know a good divorce lawyer? I mean, just in case....

Yeah, you're done for. If not from the wife, then definitely from the exhaustion of trying to get all those swaps done. I assume you don't have any kids yet?

The only upside here is that they're all GM products so your interchangeability is at least "manageable" and you won't be fabricating every single piece to connect the chassis to the drive trains.

If I were you, I would start spending a lot of time on those bad knees begging your wife for understanding and all the remaining time in your day planning and finishing those swaps as quickly as possible starting with the commuter so you can actually use it for the job it's intended.

Wow, I sound like a total kill joy... I'm going to have to take a time out until I get my "fun" back...

ww
ww SuperDork
2/11/11 11:36 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Crazy old Dodge Colt. Basic as basic gets but really fun in a minimalist sort of way. This one could have the twin stick: http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2201513348.html Bring a Chevy Luv back to life! http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2201550824.html More freaky stuff. Toyota Van w/ 5 speed manual http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2199252187.html Datsun 810 w/ manual trans http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2198639825.html Datsun Z http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2189060061.html TDI: http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2199404349.html Celica GTS http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2157782512.html

I would go with the Colt or the Toyota Van just because of the absurdity of it all.

I would get the Datsun Maxima (810) but just for the center console, transmission and pedals to swap out the auto-tragic on my diesel Maxima.

The 300ZX could be doable if it's in good shape and you have no vacuum leaks. They will kill the driveability and mpg and they can be horribly time consuming to track down.

The TDI looks like a good option until you realize with that mileage, the rest of the car is probably crumbling down around that drive train.

I'm liking the Celica but I wouldn't try to hot rod it. It's just not worth the effort for the small gain in my opinion.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
2/11/11 11:51 a.m.

You can buy Mazda Protege's for $4k all day long. Instead you're planning four engine swaps? The sound you're hearing is not me laughing with you.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
2/11/11 11:52 a.m.

Yeah I agree, I dont really quite understand...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/11/11 2:12 p.m.

God speed

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
2/11/11 3:29 p.m.

I think this thread is mis-titled.

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
2/11/11 6:21 p.m.
rogerbvonceg wrote: I think this thread is mis-titled.

No, I just mis-purchased

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
2/11/11 6:23 p.m.
pres589 wrote: You can buy Mazda Protege's for $4k all day long. Instead you're planning four engine swaps? The sound you're hearing is not me laughing with you.

Laugh all you want! I never said it was smart but it sure is putting a smile on my face.

I was looking at purchasing some type of LS motor and T56 for the Lemans anyway, I just happened to get it in a fun drivable package for less money

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
2/11/11 7:08 p.m.

i'll hook you up with a bare ls1 car intake or ls truck intake with injectors and rails, hit me up if you want one or both cheap. i think i have a 2001 5.3 pcm too.

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
2/11/11 9:19 p.m.
ww wrote: Yeah, you're done for. If not from the wife, then definitely from the exhaustion of trying to get all those swaps done. I assume you don't have any kids yet? If I were you, I would start spending a lot of time on those bad knees begging your wife for understanding and all the remaining time in your day planning and finishing those swaps as quickly as possible starting with the commuter so you can actually use it for the job it's intended. Wow, I sound like a total kill joy... I'm going to have to take a time out until I get my "fun" back...

haha... ya know, my wife is actually the opposite of the traditional wife. She has absolute faith in my decisions and doesn't even question them. Even when I ask her to talk me out of it, she assumes that there is some sort of infallible logic behind my desire for it and she urges me on.

That is why I'm happily married with a dozen cars that don't run.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
2/12/11 10:12 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Bring a Chevy Luv back to life! http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2201550824.html

That brings back good memories! My dad had one like that in black from new in 1977 until about 1995. Aside from the rust, it was a damn great truck.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B2LDnaafjTkp29z03WPbfMCFK05b7rYejN6oh7cqPYTH3rSRnx7xPEFEDm3F1Iz3