1 2 3 4
Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/23/20 3:33 p.m.

Thanks for everything you all are doing to give us a much needed distraction.  It's very much appreciated.

In reply to alfadriver :

I can't believe the things people thought to produce just in case.  They had some really amusing things on. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/23/20 3:41 p.m.

Has GRM ever done a bike-engined car project?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/23/20 3:42 p.m.
bobzilla said:
JG Pasterjak said:
bobzilla said:

You know what GRM needs? A $500 Hyundai project car that ends up costing 10x that. 

Wait... no they don't. 

As far as project car math goes, that's downright reasonable.

Can I give you my wife's number so you can explain this? She's not believing it from me. 

I think it must be like chicken math for women...or how i just spent $3000 to build a structure to house 18 chickens that provide us with eggs which can be procured at the grocer for a few dollars a dozen.  

Or how Mrs. VCH was going to come home with 6 baby chicks and somehow there are 8.

bluej
bluej UberDork
3/23/20 3:43 p.m.
nderwater said:

Umm... How about reaction videos to other people's car videos?  ;)

WOAH. yes, please. JG with DSW doing MST3K style hot takes of crappy youtube car videos sounds exactly like what this community would enjoy right now. Pinchy can nominate videos.

And thanks for pressing on. :)

bluej
bluej UberDork
3/23/20 3:47 p.m.
nderwater said:

Berzerkeley

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/23/20 3:57 p.m.

I am so grateful for this place, and the guidelines its run by. When everything else is doom, gloom, and anti-fun apocalypse, this place is solid. 

Now, if the zombies are coming, a good guide on headshots with nailguns would be appreciated. 

In serious though, how about online copies of the articles on all the challenge cars? Like the full articles of the car, not the challenge coverage. For the entire history of the challenge. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/23/20 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Step one is to remove the pressure safety. This allows you to take standoff shots. Otherwise its contact shots only and that's just too close for me. 

captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
3/23/20 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It might be easier, depending on the car owner, to do an interview with them for GRMLive where they talk about the build, idea behind it, sourcing bits, forming the team, hurdles, headaches and pleasant surprises along the way 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/23/20 4:04 p.m.

Since racing has been relegated to the virtual world. How about some more focus on reader/forum goers rides? I love seeing what people are working on and their craftsmanship. Whether it be a street car, race car, pavement princess, or garage queen. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/23/20 4:34 p.m.

I'm 53. I have never supported a magazine for longer than my attention span for any particular subject. In 2009 Jensenman/Curmudgeon, aka Mike Smith introduced me to GRM. It's the only magazine I have ever subscribed to for more than a year. I'm probably half way through my 10 year subscription now.

Here's the funny thing. I didn't subscribe for the cars, the articles or the videos. I only really read the columns in the magazine. I subscribed for the people. The excellent team of people that run the magazine, and the excellent group of people that frequent this forum. For as long as you guys keep putting up with me, I'll keep supporting the efforts that you make to turn out a excellent product. Not just the paper parts, but the digital and online product as well. 

Keep up the good work and thanks!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/23/20 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Listening to the Rock Skipping championship- that sounds like it goes directly to ESPN3, so that's done every year.

The death diving was surprising....  

Stupid robots was not good to watch.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/23/20 5:29 p.m.
nderwater said:

berkeley no.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/23/20 5:37 p.m.
bluej said:
nderwater said:

Berzerkeley

The last time I saw that, it had been separated from the body and the chassis was sitting on Curmudgeon's porch in Columbia SC. It had been bought from a gentleman that made the statement, "I've owned hundreds of cars and this is the only one I've owned that actively tries to kill me every time I touched the throttle."

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/23/20 6:04 p.m.

This forum and the magazine have been a part of my life since I first stumbled across a magazine called "Auto-X" in 1986. I still have every issue from January 1987 to today  and I spend too much time on this forum every day. I've met so many new friends through here, tried things I had never done before because of all the enablers here, and get a Florida vacation every fall due to the continued existence of the GRM business. Thank you Tim et al, and continued success.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/23/20 6:09 p.m.

It seems every $500 project car we start turns into ten times that amount. Should be able to get an early Rabbit GTI running in just a couple of days right? WRONG!! Six months later we finally have it beaten into submission. if only I could make one dollar an hour working on these cars!

Seriously thanks everyone and some good ideas cooking.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/23/20 7:01 p.m.
bobzilla said:
JG Pasterjak said:
bobzilla said:

You know what GRM needs? A $500 Hyundai project car that ends up costing 10x that. 

Wait... no they don't. 

As far as project car math goes, that's downright reasonable.

Can I give you my wife's number so you can explain this? She's not believing it from me. 

I suspect it's because it's still a Hyundai. Your wife seems like a smart lady from what I've heard.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/23/20 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Damn. Thank all of YOU. ALL of you. This place has, for a long time, and continues to help me keep my sanity(?) I think?

grover
grover HalfDork
3/23/20 9:23 p.m.

As another creative who is currently out of business for 6 months or so- I'm glad y'all are around. This forum is a part of my daily routine. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/23/20 10:07 p.m.

Just wanted to sincerely say that this thread is really doing a lot to sustain me right now. Lots of crazy crap going on at the moment, but we're absolutely humbled that folks are turning to us for some sense of continuity while the world goes nuts. I mean, that's kind of sad for you, but it's not a responsibility we take lightly nonetheless. We're happy to be in this together with all y'alls.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/23/20 10:13 p.m.
bluej said:
nderwater said:

Umm... How about reaction videos to other people's car videos?  ;)

WOAH. yes, please. JG with DSW doing MST3K style hot takes of crappy youtube car videos sounds exactly like what this community would enjoy right now. Pinchy can nominate videos.

And thanks for pressing on. :)

Sure, we can do that. I think. (Note to JG: How do we do this?)

Also, true story: My brother once talked to MST3K about interning or something. It never came to be, but somehow I got a sweet backpack and cap out of the deal. 

And, yeah, thanks for all of the kind words. We're lucky to host the best community ever. 

Purple Frog
Purple Frog Reader
3/23/20 10:31 p.m.

One must be a serious "insider" to realize what the conversations had to be like between J.K. Jackson and Tim when they were trying to vintage race the olde Triumph.   Knowing that, of course I had to get attached to GRM.   (not to mention that Tim paid for a lot of the trophies I won at Road Atlanta.)   GRM rocks ( and i'm not even thinking of owning 5 Neons in order to keep one running.)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/24/20 7:19 a.m.

Content aside I'll freely admit to this forum and group being largely my major distraction during this whole E36 M3. Work, while I DO have it, is a drag. Not going anywhere is a drag. Life kinda sucks . Here does not suck. Keep it up. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/24/20 7:23 a.m.

Two funny, on Sunday morning, instead of getting right up to start writing as I usually do, I laid in bed adn watched the Catalina Caper, as narrated by MST3K. Stupid movie, but I will watch any movie from 1967, because of the cool cars. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/24/20 7:48 a.m.

A customer gave me a signed MST3K poster a year or so ago...which I still have not framed.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/24/20 8:00 a.m.

Since we're all (sort of) stuck inside, how about a 1 week model car build contest.  No pre-builts.  Must be started an finished within one week, with kits/supplies at hand?  Winner by up-votes at the end of the week.  GRM swag as a prize?  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Un2b842qQwlCobKxnQb7fGCz6EMfOh9Wtia2thpF8MJIlc64ZodsO1vSx9Swjid1