Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
12/3/21 10:37 p.m.

And if so how much did it cost?  Mine hasn't failed completely yet but is definitely at the point of doing it as preventative maintenance being a good idea. 

But, I tried to do it myself and can't, and I suspect a shop would charge 1/4 what I paid for the whole car, which really isn't worth it to me. 

So, at this point I'm inclined to just put it back together and sell it while it still works rather than waiting until it fails completely and having to either pay to have it fixed or sell it broken.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/21 10:59 p.m.

I have changed a few of them and can do it fairly easily at this point. If you are anywhere near NE Oklahoma, I'd do it for you. Maybe someone local can help out. My guess is that you can't have anything like that replaced at a dealership without coming close to $1,000, but that's just a guess.

Not pushing you to try it again yourself, but here's a video I made a while back that may present it differently than what you tried.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/3/21 11:18 p.m.

I didn't have too much trouble doing it, but to be fair, there was no transmission in the car.

You can get 'hose clamp pliers' for as little as $15. Do you have one? You really need these to work on a Boxster.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
12/3/21 11:39 p.m.

Yeah I figured $1200-$1500 to have someone do it, which I do not like or care about this car enough to do.  I am in California, the video does make it easier to see everything but the reason I can't do it is that my hands are too big/not strong enough to get the lower of the two plastic tubes off and get the clamps off the tube at the bottom.  I have no idea how much longer the car would last anyway, it has like 185k miles on it. It did seem to run ok when I drove it before but the starter was failing (that was actually quite easy to change) and the thermostat sticks (which I also need to change if I want to drive it).

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
12/3/21 11:41 p.m.
AAZCD-PorscheHoarder-Jon (Occasional Forum Supporter) said:

You can get 'hose clamp pliers' for as little as $15. Do you have one? You really need these to work on a Boxster.

I have the exact one from the right side of the picture.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
12/3/21 11:41 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

I didn't have too much trouble doing it, but to be fair, there was no transmission in the car.

Yeah that's pretty much the problem, I see what has to happen but just can't fit my hands in there to do it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/4/21 11:00 a.m.

Where are you in california?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/4/21 11:03 a.m.

Buy new hoses for the AOS and cut the old ones. Makes the job waaayyy easier. Also, going through the right rear wheel well was more room than the bottom. I did it myself and I'm a hack. 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
12/4/21 12:54 p.m.

I live between SF and Sacramento.  And I will try pulling the wheel off and see if that helps with being able to reach in there, I thought I looked and there wasn't really any room but it's worth a try.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/4/21 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Tk8398 :

Way more room!

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/4/21 2:48 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Buy new hoses for the AOS and cut the old ones. Makes the job waaayyy easier. Also, going through the right rear wheel well was more room than the bottom. I did it myself and I'm a hack. 

The one I bought came with new hoses, which was good because even with the trans out of the way I ended up having to cut the old ones.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/4/21 3:58 p.m.

If you were closer I was just gonna have you come by my place!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZPQV7Q8Qdv3aggDCfVFfZJMzOBRxfxIm7kaHHElCOGwHgpIfu9E0zqI2qtMR9Ewu