Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/16/20 7:26 p.m.

So I got the annual what do you want for Christmas question.  I want an OBD2 scanner that I could use with Torque.  Never done it but sounds cool.  I want a scanner that maybe I can see stuff in real time?  Like long and short term trims?  I need it to work on OBD2 Mazda, Saab, GM LSness.  What's out there for $100ish?  Under is cool but if there's something over that you know I couldn't live without speak up.  I know I'd love a GM Tech 2 but those aren't anywhere near that price point.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/16/20 7:39 p.m.

I put $3-400 in the Ford only bundle with Auto Ingenuity, to work on the 7.3 D.I. I had at the time. All the bundles was $1200 at the time, but too far ror me. I reads all the data real time, but just basic OBDII stuff, without a specific bundle. But reads more on my GM  (basic OBDII) stuff than cheapo's do, and in real time as well. Unfortunately they have GM, Jap, and euro-peein' all separate bundles.

The guy that recommended A.I. at the time, uses Autel scanners nowadays, but doesn't have any advice on the lower cost stuff from them; 'course his shop buys his!

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
11/16/20 7:43 p.m.

https://www.scantool.net/

I previous had an old Wifi from back in 07 or so. I currently have their Bluetooth MX model. I was able to use it with a laptop running 'Focccus' software to turn cruise control on in the as-built config on my wife's old Focus. That let me add factory cruise for the cost of the steering wheel buttons and wires from a junkyard.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/16/20 10:51 p.m.

The Torque App has recomendations for tools that work with their product.

Basically anything ELM327 based SHOULD work and depending on your device you'll either need the Wifi or Bluetooth version.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/17/20 5:50 a.m.

I looked at the Torque app and they recommended what andy_b did so that's what I'm going with.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/17/20 5:57 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I don't use the Dr Prius software but I appreciate their review of adapters.  I have bought the Panlong model for use with Torque. Its great.  See the 20 % off coupon that makes it about $11

http://priusapp.com/obd.html

$5.00 Torque Pro (one time charge) 

$11.00 Adapter 

For the cost of a 12 pack (or case of cheap) you can read and reset codes in the generic sense. 

I take these tiny blue adapters with me to the salvage auction. I'll admit that I have f'ed up and on the drive home (outside the gates) I realized I left the adapter still plugged in a car. For $11 and delivered the next day, I just ordered another rather that take the time to go back for it. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
11/17/20 6:45 a.m.

I love my schwaben tool (rebranded foxwell510). It has a generic OBD2 scan feature and you purchase OEM modules for different manufacturers. No problem with the livestream data and can do a bunch of programming. Worth a looksie.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/17/20 6:56 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I saved this old thread about Foxwell. I considered but have not bought.  Maybe. 

jb229
jb229 New Reader
11/17/20 7:00 a.m.

Are you using it with Torque on android or on iOS?  iOS is a lot pickier in my experience.  Pretty much any of the generic OBDII bluetooth adapters will work fine with Torque on android since they're all based on the same ELM327 chipset, as Stefan said.

The manufacturer stuff is irrelevant since the data processing is done within the app, I've used my generic ELM327 one with FORSCAN on my 07 Mazda3 as well as Torque.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/17/20 10:32 a.m.

I recently bought this one as it reads more than engine codes, also does the other systems in the vehicle. 

Autel MaxiAP AP200 Obd2 Scanner

I needed to see where I was getting a abs code and it told me which corner it is. Torque, autozone and two borrowed readers from neighbors could not read those codes.

Still haven't fixed it but that's a different thing. 

It does work with a subscription service but gives you one free vehicle brand for life and you pay for any other by the year. 

I have two jeeps so it works for me. Actually paid the fee for the Kia with the issue, which I'm about to sell. May end up buying another Kia anyways. 

I also have a basic elm327 to use with torque on any vehicle. 

Good luck

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/17/20 7:06 p.m.

Looking at some of the products listed, and like that Autel AP200. But is it worth so much more than the cheap ones? Ive never used Torque, or apps like that, so I'm way behind the times! I also noticed a "Brake Bleed" function on the new stuff. Since it wont get under and loosen the bleeders for me, what is that?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j7hoXiEJKR9j19VoSuUany7Z1vmN57kNn9BFIfN3JjaYvQE0My48Kp6Lx922WPmp