1 2 3
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
1/17/17 4:26 p.m.

While trying to buy a heating pad online I stumbled across this nifty model kit. Pretty damn cool, I was forced to buy it. No choice. Had to do it, honest.

This got me searching for non-racecar versions of my own car. Specifically in the revell-monogram brand as I've never been pleased with the AMT. I've decided I want to build two. One in the condition I bought my car in, and one in the condition I'd like to "finish" it in...

Has anybody built a scale model of their own car?

Pics or it didn't happen...

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
1/17/17 4:44 p.m.

Those ASA kits go together nicely. I built a model of my Monte Carlo years ago and just got a Fiat kit for Christmas. I found dealers online selling the correct green paint and copies of my aftermarket wheels.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
1/17/17 4:44 p.m.

Not yet. I have the kit still but not the real car anymore, '04 GTO. The only kits I've completed recently are of a '91 NSX and an '05 350z, both of which I sadly do not own.

I had plans to build a scale version of the car I wanted to build for track days in real life. AMT 90's Nascar Lumina with an LS1 from a 4th gen F-Body in it. I still have that kit somewhere...

*oh and cue the Regular Car Reviews "My Mustang best Mustang, because toy car"

APEowner
APEowner New Reader
1/17/17 4:49 p.m.

Yes, sort of. I built a model of what I wished my '68 Coronet looked like (all one color, no rust) and of the '69 Charger that I want to build someday (full tube chassis, twin centrifugal supercharge Hemi).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/17/17 4:57 p.m.

I try to find Hotwheels for the cars I own, but I haven't built models yet. I shoud.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
1/17/17 5:00 p.m.

I have a Lego version of my Mini if that counts.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/17/17 5:30 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Me, too. But my Mini is red, not green.

I've built several Tamiya Mini Cooper S models, though.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
1/17/17 6:14 p.m.

Off and on I've tried to complete a version of a shark bodied Vette the way I want mine to be.

I picked up a VW Rabbit kit a month ago to turn into a 1/24 scale version of my IT car.

Gotta finish the bedroom remodel first though. Promised the wife!

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
1/17/17 6:32 p.m.

I used to do that, my built kits got tossed when I got married 25 years ago. Nice score on the ASA car, Seneker if I remember right....

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
1/17/17 6:43 p.m.

I think i have an unbuilt kit of your car in non race trim

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/17/17 6:46 p.m.

The only ones I've ever cared about never existed, or are extremely hard to come by, even in die cast. Not too many people want to build corolla wagons I guess.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
1/17/17 7:11 p.m.

In reply to mndsm: It does exist somewhere.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
1/17/17 7:26 p.m.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/17/17 8:22 p.m.

I haven't owned anything interesting enough to exist in model kit form yet.

Wait, I did have that Ram VST kit several years before I bought my '95 Ram rust bucket.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
1/17/17 8:41 p.m.

Built a mini-me of the Miata a few years back. Even sprayed it with some leftover paint from the re-spray of the "real thing":

The real thing for reference:

Not perfect, but close enough for government work.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/17/17 8:43 p.m.

They actually make my car. One year off, but it comes with the Ventop style roof and Yenko style deck lid. '69 is perfect though because '68 is virtually identical.

AMT (or whoever owns them now, RIP ERTL) reissued the kit a few years back. I need to pick one up, actually a couple.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
1/17/17 8:51 p.m.

Nice Mr Regular reference. : )

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
1/17/17 9:18 p.m.

I built a 79 Ramcharger just like I built my first 4x4 Ramcharger. No pics of either.

RevRico
RevRico Dork
1/17/17 9:28 p.m.

I don't have pics because I don't have model glue currently, but I have a crown Vic model to put together for the crown Vic. Georgia state trooper is close enough to county sheriff.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
1/17/17 10:51 p.m.

I managed to find a stock unopened 85 Z-28 on ebay for $50 shipped. All the others I had found were $200+

I've injured my neck and cannot work on the real one, at least I can make some Progress with this...

keethrax
keethrax Dork
1/18/17 9:36 a.m.

I built a first gen MR2 model when I owned one. Don't have many pics of either though. Was my first attempt at using my airbrush for spraying a car model. Was definitely a learning experience.

Bought my dad a '65 Galaxie when he was looking at buying one, and then he went and bought an Olds instead.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
1/18/17 11:23 a.m.

I haven't done a car, but did my '00 ZX-12R years ago...

I later started on a turbo drag version, but never finished...

I always wanted to do one of the cars, but could never find the right kit, or too much bashing was involved. Then I got into RC flying and all the static plastic kits got put in the attic... maybe I'll get back to them when I retire...

Harvey
Harvey Dork
1/18/17 12:20 p.m.

I read the title and thought this was going to be us posting our daily driver vs our fun car.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
1/19/17 8:02 a.m.

Fortunately, Saabs are quirky enough that you can find models of them:

2017-01-19_08-55-55

I managed to find a 1/25 F150 and painted it up like my son's full-size one:

2016-08-21_08-54-33

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/19/17 8:07 a.m.

I do have a model kit of a '66 Nova that looks just like the one in my garage. Neither one is finished yet.

I'd like to find a kit for the Turbo II. Never seen one. Haven't looked that hard.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pUoexRQhOTr1HNrX3fdzjy2HrVJeNHfh8IG5kDKMOGPhSOEyN6vo9xmL2x3niIOk