Zachary Mayne
Zachary Mayne
8/16/22 8:41 a.m.

When Colin Chapman, the late visionary genius and founder of Lotus Cars, coined the maxim “Simplify, then add lightness” way back in the ’60s, he probably had no idea it would become a significant part of the automotive lexicon. And he most certainly could not have imagined it bei…

Read the rest of the story

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/16/22 9:13 a.m.

From the result I'm surprised this guy wasn't a professional fabricator when he started the project...also might be a true mountain biker since that bike could cost more than the car! laugh

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/16/22 1:17 p.m.

I like that !!!!!

I would add a partial cycle fender to the back of the front tires and to the front of the rear tires.  Thinking about it more I think you would have to do that for it to pass the yearly inspection to be road legal in my state.  

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
8/16/22 2:16 p.m.

I have yet to see one of these homemade, tubeframe monstrosities that is remotely attractive. The worst of them are deathtraps with no sense of engineering, triangulation of structure or even raw strength. You may say that they are functional and light but why make something ugly when you can make it attractive for the same effort and money? no

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
8/16/22 5:01 p.m.

Did I miss in the article how much the car now weighs? I couldn't find that nugget.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
8/16/22 5:20 p.m.

In reply to RacerBoy75 :

I was wondering the same.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/16/22 5:39 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

Ugly is personal. Some probably prefer it this way. As for triangulation, it looks like this guy did a good job. It may be safer than the factory car. Surely stiffer. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
8/16/22 6:42 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

Who died and left you Judge Judy and executioner?

Everyone has different taste but bashing someone's hard work out of the gate seems kind of Bob Costasey. 

The builder showed a lot of skill to build that. Nice job Guy who built the car, you can't please everyone. 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
8/16/22 9:00 p.m.

You call that a Boxster?  

this is a Boxster

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/forget-tt5-lets-go-off-the-deep-end-twin-turbo-v8-widebody-boxster/193174/page1/

:cheers:

actually awesome work, I've been following that build. The workmanship is top notch.  

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
8/16/22 9:05 p.m.
msterbeau said:

...... when you can make it attractive for the same effort and money? no

Ok. Do it.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
8/16/22 9:07 p.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to msterbeau :

If the Judge Judy part was a typo, keep it. Its accurate. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
8/16/22 9:13 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
8/16/22 9:38 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Thank you!

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
8/16/22 11:07 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

Half of the fun is pissing off thin skinned wankers.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/16/22 11:38 p.m.

I'm honestly not sure how you could make something too much better looking than that with only tubes. Depending on how badly it was wrecked, I'm not sure it would have been the same or less effort to repair it properly. Plus then it still would have looked like a 986 boxster, which...honestly this looks a lot better.

I found a video elsewhere that claims 2150 lb. That's lower than I would have thought but seems believable.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/16/22 11:51 p.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

This isn't Youtube or some such. If you like to say things just to set people off, take it elsewhere.  

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/17/22 10:23 a.m.

Having built an Exocet, I can attest to how much work this would have been, starting with a full car and having to fabricate your own bits. The result obviously shows a lot of love and effort, well done!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/17/22 10:32 a.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to msterbeau :

I use this quote on a regular basis. 

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
8/17/22 12:59 p.m.

I like it but, I have never been accused of being sane. I would drive it just about everywhere.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
8/17/22 1:52 p.m.

"Who died and left you Judge Judy and executioner?"

Judge, JURY , and Executioner... 

just in case there are people around who care... 

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
8/28/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to RacerBoy75 :

Yeah, me too.  Author Zach Mayne went on and on about how much lighter it is, then never told us what it weighs.  That article could have used a spec panel like most of its kind do.

AhBNormal
AhBNormal New Reader
10/22/23 11:56 p.m.

Ya built a fun car outta a rather meh, older car(sorry, great DNA pool), Ain't nuthin' wrong wit dat! Cars age and their bits get shabby and pricey to replace. You Kept the budget slim, Well, slimmer than most, Laudable to be sure! I like you kept the windscreen and lost the doors!, Bravisimo Maestro! Encore!(too bad you had to outfit a shop to do it, but everyone's future IS "a dark plain") The tire, wheel and shock package probably cost more than the victim, err I mean "donor". Well, Science costs $$ my peeps, it's never been free.

I say, Set those wrecks free! This obviously isn't everyone's cup of tea. Try this on for size, build something with 0 expectation of "resale value"! That demon has kept me caged for Decades. I'm free now as well! Excellent Job Sir!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/25/23 8:46 p.m.
billstewartx said:

"Who died and left you Judge Judy and executioner?"

Judge, JURY , and Executioner... 

just in case there are people around who care... 

Who made you the Judge Judy and executioner as to whether someone meant judge, jury and executioner, or Judge Judy and executioner?

cheeky

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
12/25/23 11:02 p.m.

It's an old Simpson's quote, guys 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lowfXMN4toLuDzX21fpEy0chpAqI0oZDBaiR1tQJhqtoRweGAu4U0edh6QXJzlBx