6 7 8 9 10
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/8/24 2:56 p.m.

Andy's runs are complete, the car is packed, and we're off onto the rainy highways. Next stop: Pittsburgh. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/8/24 3:24 p.m.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/8/24 3:45 p.m.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
5/8/24 4:21 p.m.

Hope you are staying a little ways away from the track, the only hotels near Pitt Race are pretty sketchy.   Great track though.  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/8/24 4:25 p.m.

Results are in from Andy's afternoon track session: 29th. Still waiting on Autocross results. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/8/24 4:45 p.m.

Playing the fuel game...high score is this fill. .. 12 gal tank.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/8/24 5:16 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Results are in from Andy's afternoon track session: 29th. Still waiting on Autocross results. 

We got boned on this one. Brief downpour just as my out lap began. By the end of the session, dry line was already forming.  Sigh..,

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/8/24 5:51 p.m.

Afternoon road course at NCM was abandoned due to lightning and tornado warnings.  

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/8/24 5:59 p.m.

Currently on aback road detour around highway closure. Yay Waze.

turboshadow
turboshadow New Reader
5/8/24 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Some classic Cincinnati rush hour traffic 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/8/24 7:45 p.m.

Achievement unlocked: first flat tire on One Lap! We changed it and are back on the road. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/8/24 7:53 p.m.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/8/24 8:11 p.m.

For dinner tonight, we're having a gourmet pairing of gas station beef jerky and some bottled water we haven't yet poured onto the overheated battery so the car will start. Delicious!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
5/8/24 8:50 p.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to CrashDummy :

3. They have a gas powered generator with them I think, from earlier picture.

They actually left it at TireRack. It was for tire warmers for the skidpad.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog Dork
5/8/24 9:36 p.m.

If the tires have to be stamped "OLOA" , where do you get one in the middle of nowhere for a replacement?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/8/24 9:46 p.m.

You're not allowed to replace tires unless one is damaged by a nail or something--as ours is. When that happens, it's fair game to do what you need to do to get back on the road. We'll have to show our damaged tire to the organizers tomorrow or risk being disqualified.

Note that camber wear and similar failures aren't valid reasons for replacements. Spare tires are for road hazards, not aggressive alignments, driving or tire selection. 

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
5/8/24 9:51 p.m.

Where do you hide the bag of nails in that tiny car? Or do you just stop by the hardware store? devil

Purple Frog
Purple Frog Dork
5/8/24 10:15 p.m.

Years ago i was the tech director for a pro racing series that did two races per weekend with qualifying and practice, and the racers were only allowed 6 tires per weekend.  Worse part of the job was being judge and jury on some of the claims.      I understand the process.    

Enjoying the coverage.  Wish you would get some nice weather.  Do great at Pitt Race!  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/9/24 12:24 a.m.

And we're at the hotel. That was a long day. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/9/24 12:25 a.m.
adam525i said:

Where do you hide the bag of nails in that tiny car? Or do you just stop by the hardware store? devil

Sadly this wasn't one of the worn tires--it was one of our like-new rears. RIP Yokohama. :( 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/9/24 5:43 a.m.

Good morning!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/9/24 6:49 a.m.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/9/24 7:15 a.m.

Welcome to Pitt Race!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/9/24 7:29 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

The breakfast progression really tells a story here--from hot waffle on day 1, through cold cereal to banana on the dash.

Margie

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/9/24 7:32 a.m.

Normally I'd do three laps on the worlds worst folding bike to learn the track. Today, though, bikes aren't allowed. Going to have to jog it. 

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SrCClTao3ZE3oQciqEDSaNjzf4HX4LiqoDWmthDAczhVv01oRfuHNak5VJLqn7ZH