1 2 3 4
CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/14/22 2:23 p.m.

So, aside from checking Tire Rack every day, is there a way to know as soon as I can order at set of 205-50-15? I've been using the RE71R for years, bought a "new" set on close out last year but was thinking I'd have to buy something else for this season. I have enough life left in the old ones to handle my first couple of events. 

79rex
79rex HalfDork
4/14/22 2:31 p.m.

no 245-15 makes me a sad panda

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
4/14/22 3:58 p.m.
dps214 said:

Also at least as of now nothing wider than a 295. Guess they're really not interested in making money.

Agreed. They have the "street sizes" for a C5; 265/35-18, 275/35-18 and 295/35-18, but missing the all important 315/30-18 size.  Oh well, sticking with the Yoko A052 for now.

te72
te72 Reader
4/14/22 10:24 p.m.
albino09 said:

275/40/17 plz

Hate to say it but that's kinda a dead size anymore, at least outside of things like Hoosier and R888/R. (EDIT: Another poster mentioned the RT660 Falken, didn't know they had the 275/40/17 in that tire. Probably the first 200tw tire in that size since the Toyo R1R!) I've run those on the Supra for years, but the next set of wheels are gonna have to be 18's because of tire availability.

I'd also be all over some 245 or 275 15's, for the Exocet. =)

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/14/22 11:40 p.m.
deaconblue said:
dps214 said:

Also at least as of now nothing wider than a 295. Guess they're really not interested in making money.

Agreed. They have the "street sizes" for a C5; 265/35-18, 275/35-18 and 295/35-18, but missing the all important 315/30-18 size.  Oh well, sticking with the Yoko A052 for now.

Yeah, they're missing the premium wide size in every diameter.  No 245 in 15", no 275 in 17", and no 315 in 18".  Bridgestone seems to have a blindspot for this.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/14/22 11:46 p.m.
te72 said:

Hate to say it but that's kinda a dead size anymore, at least outside of things like Hoosier and R888/R. (EDIT: Another poster mentioned the RT660 Falken, didn't know they had the 275/40/17 in that tire. Probably the first 200tw tire in that size since the Toyo R1R!) I've run those on the Supra for years, but the next set of wheels are gonna have to be 18's because of tire availability.

R1R, RT615K+, RT660, Conti ECS.  Also things like NT01s, RA1s, R888Rs, and RRs.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
4/14/22 11:50 p.m.
NickD said:
dps214 said:
NickD said:

My usual question: will it come in 245/40R15?

No. 205/50 and 225/50 only.

Damn. Well, the fine Taiwanese ladies and gentlemen at Nankang Rubber Tire Corp., Ltd will continue to get my money then.

The maxxis v2 is pretty damn good from what I hear.  Similar wear to rs4 and a bit more grip.

mrblah
mrblah New Reader
4/15/22 11:23 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

isn't the RS4 faster than the maxxis with better wear?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/15/22 11:43 a.m.

245/40-17. Yes.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
4/15/22 4:30 p.m.

Glad to see them come out with the new one.  Though I it appears to only be "this side out" when mounted (like the RE-11).  I always like the RE-71R because it was directional so you could mount it both ways so you had a fresh outside shoulder & could get more even wear across the tread face.  Especially running a Street class car where negative camber is limited.  Though I did buy a few extra sets of the outgoing tire so I can run a few more years before I really need to worry about it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
4/15/22 5:14 p.m.
mrblah said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

isn't the RS4 faster than the maxxis with better wear?

The newer maxxis v2 have been faster on a lot of cars in a road race situation.  Not quite as good on wear.

The champcar national champ last year was on maxxis for many of their wins.

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/15/22 7:15 p.m.
Ozzy said:

Glad to see them come out with the new one.  Though I it appears to only be "this side out" when mounted (like the RE-11).  I always like the RE-71R because it was directional so you could mount it both ways so you had a fresh outside shoulder & could get more even wear across the tread face.  Especially running a Street class car where negative camber is limited.  Though I did buy a few extra sets of the outgoing tire so I can run a few more years before I really need to worry about it.

I suppose we don't know for sure on these, but so far all the inside/outside 200tws have been fine to flip, they just behave slightly differently with the big tread blocks on the inside. If you're happy running on five year old re71r, you probably won't be able to tell the difference from flipping these.

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
4/16/22 12:49 a.m.

What's the likelihood of these even being available at launch? Every tire in America is sold out unless it's a 400+TW. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
4/16/22 11:08 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Please say there will be a 13!!!

Lol 13" pickings are slim.  Demon tweaks carries the beat selection but you have to deal with shipping.  Just got some fresh purple crack mounted up for rabbit.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
4/16/22 12:17 p.m.
Definitely gone now said:

What's the likelihood of these even being available at launch? Every tire in America is sold out unless it's a 400+TW. 

Hankook rs4 are available from Hankook USA.  Maxxis are available too.  Just bought both in the past 2 weeks.

Ysmv...   (size)

te72
te72 Reader
4/16/22 4:44 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
te72 said:

R1R, RT615K+, RT660, Conti ECS.  Also things like NT01s, RA1s, R888Rs, and RRs.

Of those, only the R1R and the Conti ECS are what I'd call street friendly. I know the R1R is an older tire (nothing wrong with that), but I have no experience with the ECS. Nice to have options, sure, but I'll still be going 18's for the Supra on the next set of wheels. Kinda hard to road trip on R888R's without losing your mind, even though they are phenomenal to drive* on.

*on perfectly smooth, clear day roads, without so much as a sneeze on the pavement.

I realize that wider 17's aren't really "in" anymore, and that's unfortunate. Those of us with older cars get left with fewer and fewer options for tires every year it seems. I wish Tire Rack would still display tires that come in the size you want, even if they're out of stock. It would be nice to have the info.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/17/22 9:37 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

The ECS doesn't have the grip of a 200tw, but I've been DD-ing on them for the last few summers and have been very happy.  Dry grip is quite good.  Wet grip is downright incredible.  They basically just don't hydroplane either.  Wear life is ok, but not great (on the E38 rears went about 15k, fronts about 20k).  On good, smooth pavement, they're basically silent.  But on rougher, older pavement they're a bit loud.  They tramline some, but not as badly as the stiffer, stickier stuff does. 

In general, I'd give them a big thumbs up.  That said, I'd probably run the PS4S if I could get them in a 275/40R18 (could go to 285/40 in the rear, but that drives the price up even more).  Everyone who's run both tires says the ECS is better in the wet, but the PS4S has more dry grip, is a more refined tire to drive, and lasts a bit longer. 

te72
te72 Reader
4/17/22 1:45 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

I was right in thinking the ECS is a reasonable competitor to the PS4S then. We're going with the Michelin on my wife's Supra for the next set of tires, it's a fair weather car (winter is about 9 months long here, unfortunately) but I'd like something we can road trip on without worrying about the weather we tend to get on our way back from Vegas. Driving in light snow on NT05's and RE71R is NOT fun.

Her car has 18's, mine still has a set of 17x9.5 RPF1, perhaps if I decide to put another set of tires on those and use the RPF1 for road tripping, the ECS will get the nod. I always did like using that car as a daily, but she needs a bit of sorting before it's ready for that.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/17/22 2:01 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

None of the summer only tires are any bit usable in even a dusting of snow or once it drops below freezing.  The ECS are ok down to about freezing (not particularly sketchy before they warm up a bit, even if it's wet).  But trying to drive in any kind of snow with them would be a terrible idea. 

te72
te72 Reader
4/18/22 1:42 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Oh I'm well aware that it's a terrible idea, that's part of why we dared not stop. I was genuinely nervous that the tires would lose their temperature and it would be even worse. Fortunately we made it home safely, but speeds were WAY down from normal. Not something we wanted to do, but winter weather can be unpredictable here from September through July. =P

I've had the fun of driving on bald drag radials in the *lightest* dusting of snow once. What was normally a 10 minute drive took every bit of half an hour if not longer. You learn a lot about throttle control though...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/18/22 9:54 a.m.

Tire Rack now has the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS listed on its site. 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
4/18/22 9:58 a.m.

Excellent timing. 

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
4/18/22 10:59 a.m.

Crap, they never make them big enough for my car. Would be nice to have more options.

dps214
dps214 Dork
4/21/22 8:56 a.m.

Tire rack initial testing compared to the re71r only is out. They seem kind of appealing to me, in a way that anyone hoping for them to be re71r 2.0 is going to be at least a little disappointed. Basically slightly faster but more vague and with smoother breakaway and recovery. Even faster in the wet but feel is even worse. To me it sounds like a rt660 with better wet performance. We'll have to wait for their full test and other people's real world testing to see how they measure up to the relevant 200tws.

Edit: another positive, the fact that they're fast on the tire rack test bmw is a good sign that they're happy on heavy, camber challenged cars.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/21/22 9:03 a.m.

Yep, here's the link to Tire Rack's initial test

And tires for our test have been ordered. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QbdfsXm0vjcOxllaesm9trT44XNdrkecB48KAqlVCl6b5tjlydzm95QMq6w4vEie