1 2
thewatcher101
thewatcher101 New Reader
8/5/15 4:44 p.m.

I have an rx8 and in the course of weight reduction for HPDE. So there are no rules and all my local track does not have db limits, so no sound rules either.

Pro: I can lose about 35 lbs off the rear of the car decrease polar momentum of inertia. The rear of the car already generates more than enough grip. The car is kinda of a pig and weight loss makes a big difference for the 8.

Cons: Noise will be loud, an uncork rotary is on it's own level, kinda of like an open header V8 without the low end. I will also lose hearing feedback from the tire and engine, but NT01 and the rotary doesn't really make any noise, but it might be my lack of sensitivity. The weight is not taken at the most ideal place because the muffler has a very low center of gravity and play a part in the 50/50 weight distribution of the car. Along with the 100 lbs of fuel in the back that fluctuate, having less static weight will make that fuel balance issue worse.

I am siding on no, just want to hear some thoughts on the issue.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
8/5/15 4:45 p.m.

I'd leave it on, quiet cars are nice.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
8/5/15 5:00 p.m.

At least throw a big resonator on there or something. Straight pipe rotaries just sound like big old obnoxious airplanes. It really wears on everybody around you.

thewatcher101
thewatcher101 New Reader
8/5/15 5:06 p.m.

I have one on right after the headers, it is made of fins so it doesn't melt. If I put another one on, it would increase the weight and cost compare to a straight.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/5/15 5:11 p.m.

I remember thinking my eardrums were bleeding when the Rolex GT class RX8s drove by on the track at the Glen. I was wearing earplugs AND sitting inside a new Malibu with "quiet steel".

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
8/5/15 5:38 p.m.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you run a rotary with no exhaust you will not have any friends. It is that painful.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/5/15 5:43 p.m.

Will that leave the bumper to act like a gigantic sail?

Any plans to build a diffuser to go along with something like that to clean up the rear aero?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
8/5/15 8:49 p.m.

Can't you drop weight with an aftermarket exhaust?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/5/15 9:14 p.m.

Are you attempting to 'win' HPDE?

I'm not sure I see the need to lose 35 pounds. Are you already driving at the limit of the car and shedding 35 pounds will result in faster laptimes? Are the laps timed? My vote would be just go and have fun with the car as is.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/5/15 10:09 p.m.

If you show up anywhere near me with an uncorked rotary, I'll be sure to leave my pickaxe through your hood. Its bad enough sitting in grid beside you rotary knobs WITH mufflers.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/5/15 11:03 p.m.

Like everyone else mentioned, don't do it! I've also heard an uncorked rotary, and it's wild (though less wild and obnoxious than an uncorked snowmobile engine). I'm sure that you don't want to make yourself deaf (along with your fellow racers) by the time you're 60, and still very likely to live for 15+ years.

Also, if you think that an RX-8 is a pig out on track, you should honestly sell it and buy a Miata or even a dedicated open wheel track car. You're not going to find many door slammers lighter than the listed 2886 lbs (Wikipedia) outside of some older FWD economy cars, and I don't think you will go that route. I just test drove an RX-8. I also don't think that you will be able to cut only, say, 25 lbs out of the car and say that it feels like a scalpel.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
8/6/15 12:18 a.m.

What? I didn't even notice the "pig" comment haha, no way. The RX8 is an amazing handler right out of the box. That's about all it has going for it IMO. It certainly isn't anything special to look at, and the rotary engine seems underpowered for the car. I agree with other comments. Just drive the car as is. No need to seek performance increases yet, really. Learn on it stock, and then you will truly know what areas of the car you need to improve.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
8/6/15 12:37 a.m.

Either take the muffler offand be super loud ( which is totally fine in my book. My GFs rx7 is straight piped) Or add and after market exhaust. Most of them seem to drop at least some weight from the car.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/6/15 5:29 a.m.

They may not have any rules regarding mufflers right now, but uncork yours and they may develop them. Especially if neighbors to the track start to complain and bring down county noise laws on them.

All in all, I wouldn't think eliminating the muffler is a good idea.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
8/6/15 6:35 a.m.

Please god no. The track workers will thank you. There is absolutely no reason to do it and you will just annoy most of the people around you.

I always laugh that at most of the HDPE's I work, the loudest cars always have under 150HP. Work a PCA event and most of the cars are quiet. Work anything with Miata's and it's loud cars all day.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
8/6/15 6:53 a.m.

Right so what you need is a test pipe for HPDE days, it takes out a good chunk of weight around the center of the car and while it is louder so long as you keep the stock rear muffler it's Not much louder then your average bro stang with a managaborlflow whatever.

You need to be looking at tires and then sway bars then learn it again with those mods, as others have said it's underpowered but it's more the nut behind the wheel.

Btw along with the ALL THE LOUD without a muffler you would easily be at the same level of shooting a shotgun just about every over 6k shift as well, while neat, don't be that dude, it will give people something else to make fun of you while they are passing by.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/6/15 7:02 a.m.

Seems like the basic assumption is that the op is the limiting factor in the car. Not always true.

Now, on the topic of the muffler, the most fun I've had on track is with a pleasant exhaust note. The louder cars ive driven seem to wear me out more over the course of the weekend. Louder cars beside me and in front tend to distract me. Ive also never noticed much real world gain from a reduction in polar moment.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
8/6/15 7:11 a.m.

Muffler delete on a rotary?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/6/15 7:27 a.m.

If you want there to be a maximum decibel for your HPDE, than run your rotary without a muffler. Then the next time you come back, there will be a maximum and you can put your muffler back on.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/6/15 7:36 a.m.

Taking 35lbs off the rear can effect your corner balance. Can you adjust ride height at all 4 corners to re-adjust?

Rotaries are loud. Do you wear ear plugs?

I used to run an uncorked S52 with only 18" of side exit and I have to say, it was not popular. Even other racers complained that it was painful when they were alongside while wearing ear plugs. Random strangers in the paddock would say stuff like "There it is - it hurts when he goes by". Don't be that guy.

My advice would be to find a much lighter muffler but keep something there.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/6/15 7:45 a.m.

I think you would need to gain at least 400hp to make an uncorked rotary worth it. Those things hurt from the other side of the track.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/6/15 8:31 a.m.

Loud = Loud

Loud /= Better Sounding

Loud /= Power

Loud /= Cool

Loud /= Enjoyable

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
8/6/15 8:36 a.m.

I used to race an ITA Mazda RX-2. While it did have more power than stock, I blame my current hearing loss on the days I forgot to put in my earplugs. I found the best solution (in the 80's, mind you) was a SuperTrapp muffler in which I could adjust the sounds level to suit the track requirements.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
8/6/15 9:01 a.m.

I like rotaries, but please have some consideration for the other attendees. Running a completely uncorked rotary is beyond obnoxious for everybody and as some people mentioned can get noise limits instituted in a hurry.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
8/6/15 10:57 a.m.

I think the best exhaust system is one that can clearly be heard yet is perfectly manageable when you're standing directly behind the car. I have an Ireland Engineering muffler on my M3, and it sounds absolutely amazing. I can hear the car fine in-cabin, and this makes rev matching easier for me, and yet people outside arent bothered by it. If anything I get tons of compliments saying how great it sounds. You know its there, but its not deafening.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YpJcstdafGD6xvDjTqImHJrvwXq0RwcWj1MMMMz8VPioXTHMSyDvHgKXN5RZ9qwB