1/29/21 1:37 p.m.
MrChaos
MrChaos UltraDork
1/29/21 1:40 p.m.
DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/29/21 1:50 p.m.

I plan to watch tonight with a cuppa 

I'm betting that's one of the most expensive paint jobs ever applied to a Mini. 

While I'm not much on the color and design, they did an amazing job of applying it. 

Ahhhh.

Love it. Original colors, too.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/29/21 2:37 p.m.

That was worth watching. Almost gave up half way though, who wants to watch block sanding? But the end, the end was worth it. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/29/21 4:02 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I'd have watched the paint dry if those two were narrating it. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/29/21 5:53 p.m.

Wow.

I sure hope they don't wrap it around a tree the first time out.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/29/21 6:15 p.m.

These guys have gotten really good at producing these videos.  I really like how this turned out.  A lot of subtle work; I bet it looks amazing in the flesh.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/29/21 9:37 p.m.

There has been much trolling in the prerelease blurbs.

Also, they may say that is '[colour expunged]' but dang if that doesn't look like a near identical shade to my favorite Ford color from the musclecar era.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/29/21 10:08 p.m.

When they first showed the main color (let's keep no spoilers going for awhile?), I was somewhat disappointed, but by the end I was sold - spectacular.  Another reason for a trip to England - to see this car in person.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/29/21 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

100% agreed.

And holy E36 M3 the hours in this thing.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/29/21 10:51 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I lament that the lone, singular, lamentable failing of the GRM forum vs. the blandsphere canned forums is that there is no spoilers tag.

Because I totally want to say how much their choice of [BINKY COLOUR CHOICE] looks identical to [KNURLED FAVORITE COLOR FOR TORINOS AND ALSO BOSS 429 MUSTANGS]

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/29/21 11:12 p.m.

Color is totally appropriate and so much better than just about anything else. I have the same color on the roof of my own Mini.

The comment about grey horses is right out of Thief Of Time, referring to Binky. Listened to that section of the  audiobook today so it's fresh in my mind :)

The rosettes on the side are really nice. Roof might be a bit OTT but I don't blame them one bit. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/30/21 12:04 a.m.

...we came in?

Keith Tanner said:

Color is totally appropriate and so much better than just about anything else.

There are spoilers in the first episode, from back in 2013.

Isn't this where...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/30/21 2:03 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That was worth watching. Almost gave up half way though, who wants to watch block sanding? But the end, the end was worth it. 

Those of us who enjoy brackets.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/30/21 7:04 a.m.

Not really a fan of the colour.  Also, graphics are too subtle for me.

Hell of a job, though.  So far beyond what I have the patience for, it might as well be magic.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
1/30/21 7:20 a.m.

My GF was besides me while I was watching it and at the end her only comment was: those guys are kinda of nuts...

I have to agree. I admire all that work and the result...it's amazing but it's kinda nuts. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/30/21 9:50 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

Only "kinda nuts"?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/30/21 10:03 a.m.

Is there any way to find out how much dough those two are getting out of this deal?  I only recently discovered that people make a very nice living from youtube, and I can only assume they are doing quite nicely, based on youtube views and their Patreon list that takes half the video time.

No particular reason to finish the thing...

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/30/21 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Well, they have a bunch of other vehicles in the pipeline, so it's not like the content is going to dry up.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
1/30/21 10:19 a.m.

looks like L87  Pearl white which is the Herbie color........just sayin.....

Amazing amount of work for such a small car ,  and 1500 UKP  worth of supplies !

Be great to see it driving in a few years :)

steronz
steronz Reader
1/30/21 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

How much dough they make per video is dependent on the engagement level and the price of the ads they're able to command, so it's impossible to guess exactly how much each video nets.  But a good estimate is $3 per 1000 views, which means most of their videos are netting somewhere between $750 and $1800.

Now for a Youtuber who can get 300k views on a video 3 times a week, 12 times a month, that's a decent living, maybe $115k a year, but they're also spending a ton of time shooting, editing, and planning videos.  Anyone who's ever cut together even a 5 minute video knows how tedious and time consuming it is.  It's a real job, and the big money doesn't start coming in until you can get over a million views on each video and can still churn them out at that rate.  That's where you start seeing 17 year old youtubers buying supercars.

Their Patreon page says they have about 4500 subscribers, and a monthly subscriber option is either $2 or $5.  At an average rate of $3, that would be $13.5k, let's say they're getting an extra $1500 a month from youtube, divide that by 2, and I think they're still going to be doing a lot of customer cars to make ends meet.  But they're probably at a point where they've been able to scale back their customer operations to part time and are able to work on youtube projects without having to squeeze them in on weekends and evenings.

Just a WAG.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
1/30/21 10:48 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I was totally into their built at the start, but then they started "wandering off into the weeds", adding questionable side projects and endless videos of bracket fabrication (after the first few, "we get it"). and I sort of lost interest. Then it hit me, that I completely misunderstood the real intent: demonstrate their shop's skills, and maximize YouTube revenue, which means maximizing the build process. When the car gets completed isn't the point. I can see that potentially backfiring, where someone watching this series and considering having them work on their car, might come away thinking, "They're may take a long time and add stuff that - while nicely fabricated - isn't really necessary."

As for color, it's their car. Period.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/30/21 10:58 a.m.

In reply to steronz :

I support a number of YouTubers on Patreon and ad revenue does vary a lot.  And it's so unpredictable to the point of not being able to plan on it, so they often do count on Patreon subscribers for a base income.

Most of the creators I've watched regularly say each minute of video you see represents about an hour of work, although it does depend a lot on the creator's style of video making. 

One Patreon creator I support has been doing a private "how I make videos" series with interaction with us.  We had a 3 hour lesson last night. Although she comes from the TV news and feature story side of video creation and thus does her videos in that style, I can already see it'll be a ton of work to even tell a simple story.  You need to film so, so much footage... most of it you won't use.  And like anything, it's a skill that needs to be learned and practiced.

As far as Binky goes, it's my understanding that YouTube is not their full time job and running the Bad Obsession shop is.  Which is one reason for the infrequency of the videos.  Plus, any task that takes an hour to do under normal circumstances will take at least twice as long if you are trying to film that task being done.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l3SJP0SAhmGKX7BHKVWopq7XKv7eFsXyrQ5hQIxhxiT8lqyWGvpBtNXznLhbLI4l