paul
paul HalfDork
5/11/14 5:52 p.m.

So, I'm finally going to go ahead & get a used 4x4 pickup. It'll be used for traveling/tent camping, driving on the beach and some light off-roading.

My price point is roughly $15k. No real preference in regards to compact vs full-size (even though mpg tends to be fairly similar), domestic vs import, single cab vs not; although I would really like a 2nd gen. single-cab manual trans. tacoma. I know toyota has improved the frame metallurgy in the past few years, but how are the 2008+ tacos in terms of rust?

Complicating things is apartment living and it's constraints on repairs/maintenance. I get get away with oil changes, brake pads/rotors, essentially anything more complex would have to be handled via a repair shop at repair shop prices... this, and typical undercarriage rust issues makes me think it would be best to get the newest, lowest mile example truck I can find.

The other option I'd consider would be an XJ, but the vast majority around here, although functional, seem to be rather used up & would cost $$ to get back very good condition.

Any suggestions?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/11/14 9:39 p.m.

You can buy the nicest XJ left in existence and have it shipped to your door for something like half of your budget.

I guess if it were me in that situation i would try to find a 4.8 or 5.3L 4dr 4wd GMC Sierra. Not sure how much that thought appeals to you.

I do love that body style of tacoma but i dont know if you're going to get a decent 08+ for 15k. They hold their value ridiculously well.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/11/14 9:42 p.m.

For some stupid reason, v8 trailblazers have been on my radar lately. And if you get one that has a Saab or an Isuzu badge on it, they're massively cheap for what they are.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
5/11/14 11:07 p.m.

For a 1/2 ton truck, a GM or Chev with a 5.3 cant be beat, if you can, find a 1/2 ton with a 6.2 max tow package and it will pull anything you will need.

paul
paul HalfDork
5/12/14 5:55 p.m.

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm definitely leaning towards a XJ, for the lower price, but around here it's tough to find one that might not need any/all major rebuilds, including the dreaded heater core

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
5/15/14 12:03 a.m.

I think it depends on how intense you wanna get offroad. And if you just want a 4x4 or a pickup specifically. Frontiers are good trucks and are MUCH cheaper than Tacomas. However, the pre-04 Frontiers have somewhat weak steering (only a big problem if you wheel on 33" tires or more) and a less sophisticated front suspension (torsion vs. coilover) with a smaller aftermarket. 3rd gen (96-02) 4runners are thousands of dollars cheaper than an equivalent year/trim Tacoma. For example I picked up my 99 4Runner Limited for $7k at a dealer and you can expect at least $10k for a 99 Tacoma TRD. I'm pretty sure than applies to all of then past the first gens. I think you'll have a very hard time getting a 2nd gen Tacoma for $15k. That won't even get you a cherry 1st gen TRD package. Like Vigo said, their resale values are insane. That said, they are bulletproof and have an almost limitless aftermarket.

Example: http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4453874777.html That truck has almost 30k MORE miles than my 4Runner did when I bought it.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
5/19/14 6:38 a.m.

I would go for an '01- '06 Chevy/GMC 3/4 ton, if it can be found with the 6.0 LS variant. The first 200,000 miles it would only require tires, oil changes, brake pads and gas. With a budget of $15k that should leave a bit of coin for some tires or expedition gear.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
5/19/14 6:39 a.m.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/19/14 6:41 a.m.

I thought this thread was about bars and girls.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/19/14 8:36 a.m.

I grabbed an 03 Suburban with the monster 8.1L earlier this year for my bad weather/tow rig. I have found it to be a great mixture of "fix it with a hammer and duct tape" engineering of an old school big block and comfortable interior and good ride. Grab the Avalanche with the 8.1L to get the coil spring rear axle and a mildly usable truck bed. For 10K, it is the most truck that I think you can buy. Just my opinion though.

One thing to mention. In nicely tuned form, 12 mpg unloaded is about the best to expect. I think you could pull a house and only go down to 8 though!

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/19/14 8:37 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I thought this thread was about bars and girls.

I can only imagine your dissappointment

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/19/14 8:41 a.m.

Yeah, I have no idea how to pickup women...which makes my wife happy.

To be different, there was a thread about a reader who couldn't sell his Dakota for $7K. Seemed like it was in really good shape too, albeit with a V6. I see them cheap all the time, maybe a Durango or Dakota?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
5/24/14 6:53 p.m.

I say find yourself a cool old school Toyota and modify as desired. More character than newer Tacomas, but obviously more work required. None of the activities you mentioned require towing (camping, driving on beach, light off-roading), so it doesn't sound like a monster motor and a huge truck are necessary. A nice solid 90's Toyota with a small lift and some good A/T's should fit the bill. Or an old Nissan hardbody.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xpOqswAJ5m7sv2bq4fqXnzN9WBWbImLteEkRvdO7zVO6lujzkrvQpQ7JLQ1QGiZX