Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/23/22 10:40 a.m.

Changing a wheel bearing in the front of an old S40 today.  Getting the snap ring out was a bit of torture, and i broke one end off, so I was searching for a new ring.  Volvo oe is the only thing out there, it seems, but I learned a thing that might be useful to me, and the odds of me remembering...

If you buy an SKF wheel bearing, part number FW86, for example, the snap ring is part number CIR86.  

Not useful in this case, but still another little fact to clog my synapses.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/23/22 2:33 p.m.

Yesterday I learned something new.  Despite having been raised on a farm, I just learned that cow magnets are a thing.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
11/23/22 3:35 p.m.

I learned training a dog to ring a bell to go out is a thing, and very timely to learn about

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
11/23/22 3:38 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

Ours learned fast but now ring the bell for food, the cat, and other things they want. It shoudl get better after we open up the whole house to them and the bell is on the front door.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
11/23/22 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

You knew this. We've been to the bar together. You've seen one in action.

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
11/23/22 3:58 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Yesterday I learned something new.  Despite having been raised on a farm, I just learned that cow magnets are a thing.

I hope you never have to use one

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/23/22 5:36 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

We trained our puppy to do this and then got rid of the bells as she annoying.  Now she jumps where the bells used to be to go out. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/23/22 7:09 p.m.

Well here is a picture of one....

It is older than me. It came from My Grandpa and Grandma's  farm and that farm was her parents farm They stick them down there throat to keep them from digesting nails and such. So only the magnet knows how many cows it has been in.  :0)

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/23/22 7:27 p.m.
MyMiatas said:

It is older than me. It came from My Grandpa and Grandma's  farm and that farm was her parents farm They stick them down there throat to keep them from digesting nails and such. So only the magnet knows how many cows it has been in.  :0)

and they stay there how long says city boy?

11/23/22 8:58 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

You knew this. We've been to the bar together. You've seen one in action.

Haaaa.  I guess better than a Bull Magnet, which happens to me every time I go to a gay bar.  Free drinks with a side of unsolicited chest hair fondling.

11/23/22 9:02 p.m.
759NRNG said:
MyMiatas said:

and they stay there how long says city boy?

Dad wasn't sure of the answer to that, but he suspects it's because it's heavy enough that it stays in there.  Since ruminants have 4 stomachs, the first chamber doesn't really have an "exit."  It's a chamber that starts the digestion and then they hork it back  up to re-chew.  Evidently the magnet is dense enough that it stays put, or if it does come back up it likely gets spit out instead of moving on down through the plumbing.

neverdone
neverdone Reader
11/23/22 9:30 p.m.

I don't know how long they stay in, but you can always pick them off of the discs after dicing the fields...

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/23/22 9:33 p.m.

I was never told how long they stay there. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/24/22 12:29 a.m.

Preventative for what is called hardware disease. Cows tend to swallow pieces of baling wire, nails, etc.

It's been many years since I took that class, but I think they're supposed to stay in there until the cow is done being a cow. 

outasite
outasite HalfDork
11/24/22 8:28 a.m.

I am sure you all know they can increase MPG when placed on the fuel line.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/24/22 8:38 a.m.
outasite said:

I am sure you all know they can increase MPG when placed on the fuel line.

Straightens out the fuel molecules before entering the carburetor rather than the molecules being all jumbled up?

Totally legit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D2wLX7Vfxh9a56nOQWwwsF5BXavMia141Is4fn6a7WvFULz9omLvk5Zn1G3Qt2jj