docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/30/16 3:34 p.m.

Got the blessing from my wife. I think she's tired of hearing my continually yammer about wanting one of these.

So here's my dilemma. In my garage right now I have a KTM 990 Adventure, a '06 Cayenne Turbo S (DD, ski machine, tow rig), a '98 M3 (track prepped. Still has a license plate, radio and AC, but isn't that great to sit in traffic) and my Featherlite trailer.

I'm not going to be able to track the M3 much this coming season. Bad combo of NASA having a bunch of events out of state (too much time away from work/family) and several of the Porsche Club events conflict with my Air Force duty. I'll be lucky to get the M3 out 4-6 times. Otherwise it'll mostly sit around. I take it to Cars N Coffee and the Porsche breakfast club here and there but that's it.

The GT3 would replace the M3, I'd have to sell the M3 to get the funds together plus it doesn't make sense to have two cars that are more on the track prepped spectrum. The GT3 comes with race seats/rollbar that aren't installed. So should I want to put them in, I can.

The 911 Turbo I'd add to my fleet and keep the M3 as my track car. The Turbo is apparently too soft stock form for the track and the mods to get it into shape would be as much or more than the value of my M3.

The GT3 is far more expensive to buy than the Turbo. However the GT3 should hold its value better.

So, what would you do? Buy the Turbo and keep the M3? Or sell the M3 and buy the GT3?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/16 3:51 p.m.

That is a conundrum for the ages. The Turbo is faster and more comfortable, but I am just a big fan of the GT3. Neither one would be a wrong choice.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/30/16 3:59 p.m.

Having worked on both, I would choose the GT3.

Easier to work on, holds it's value more. Biggest p.i.t.a. is doing plugs and coils on a turbo. Requires bumper removal, intercooler removal just to gain access to the coilpacks.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/30/16 4:11 p.m.

Adding fuel to the fire I just found out that the 911 Turbo I was looking at has been in an accident plus a fender bender. I've asked to see the invoice for the repair of the accident, apparently it was headlights, bumper cover and more. The fender bender was another front bumper cover.

That'll definitely impact value and the ability to resell it down the road. I'd want a pretty big discount off the asking price because of that, if I even decide to purchase it.

Lots of these Turbos on the market with blemishes. I've found another '02 Turbo X50 package car (!!) but its had hail damage repaired plus has no documented service history. Both black marks for eventual resell.

codrus
codrus SuperDork
12/30/16 4:18 p.m.

From a performance standpoint, the GT3 is better at the track than the turbo. Problem is it costs more, is a lot harder to walk away from if you stuff it into a wall, and will suffer more depreciation from being used (I don't consider it "abuse", but many people do) at the track.

If you're buying a street car, buy the Turbo.

Personally I wouldn't buy either, because Porsche prices are stupid. The idea that a properly-repaired bumper cover & headlights should dimish the value by 20% is dumb.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
12/30/16 4:23 p.m.

ALL OF THEM!!

Sorry no real experience aside from the fact I want one....

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
12/30/16 4:28 p.m.

GT3.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/30/16 4:45 p.m.

codrus, you're looking at this as just another car, like a daily driver. A seller is lucky to only take a 20% hit in value, many times it's nearly impossible to sell them at all.

These aren't used as daily drivers. They're toys, pure and simple. A reward to yourself for doing well, hitting a goal you've always wanted etc. Because of that, many people won't even consider a car with accident damage, no matter how minor or how well fixed. They want a pristine example, since it's not a necessity and it's a very expensive purchase, they keep on looking.

I'm the same way. Unless it's a bargain to buy it, why would I pay the same amount of money for a car that doesn't have original paint and panels? Or a complete documented service history, all the books, keys and window sticker? It's not like there aren't more out there that don't meet my requirements...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
12/30/16 4:50 p.m.

GT3 if you have a DD. Turbo if not.

FYI in my limited experience with the 996 X50 turbo I was actually faster at an autocross with a tiptronic turbo then the GT3.

Now if your going to spend GT3 money then the 997.2 turbo in a PDK would be my choice as the best all rounder. A 996 GT3 with any amount of modification on the street is going to be very hard core.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/30/16 5:09 p.m.

Just found a '07 997 Turbo on rennlist for a really good price. Carfax reports an accident before it was even sold brand new. Price, however, is really low for a 997.

I may just grab it. I do have a DD, my Cayenne Turbo fills that role. Plus I ride the moto when its nice out.

Guess it somewhat depends on the GT3 owner. He's had the car for sale for 4 months, if he's willing to deal then I'll likely buy it. Combo of "high" mileage (55k) and a generally undesirable color (yellow) is keeping it from selling fast.

The market is saying it's not worth his asking price, I plan on being pretty hard with my offer, especially since I know what my friend sold it for a few years ago. If he's firm on his price I'll pass.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
12/30/16 5:17 p.m.

As a dd, turbo. For fun and/or track, GT3.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
12/30/16 6:33 p.m.

You keep saying the GT3 will hold its value better, but an 07 Turbo is pretty close to the bottom at the moment, how much can you lose? I'm not a Porsche guy, but I'd assume the manuals are hard to find. The local dealer has an 03 manual with 18K miles, again, is this the car you can own for free for a few years?

The 2003 is here

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/30/16 8:54 p.m.

GT3

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/30/16 8:57 p.m.

That's really strong money for that '03. You can buy a newer 997 Turbo for that all day long. For instance most 996 Turbos are closer to the $40k mark.

The GT3 will hold its value better mostly due to rarity, they only brought them here in '04 and apparently brought in under 1000 of them.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/30/16 9:21 p.m.

Got the repair invoice for the 996 Turbo I'm looking into. $40k worth of repairs! The pic of the damage the seller sent didn't look bad but the repair shop replaced bumper, bumper bar, both headlights, both fenders, all the radiators, AC condensers, fans, the spare tire, all the frunk linings and it sounds like the frunk floor too, along with trailing arms, various lines, fittings, etc, etc, etc.

Clearly a much harder hit than the picture would lead someone to believe. He's going to have a hard time selling this car to anyone, let alone at his $37k asking price. I can buy an accident free example for that price.

Still think it shouldn't have a diminished value codrus?

codrus
codrus SuperDork
12/31/16 12:22 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Still think it shouldn't have a diminished value codrus?

I didn't say there was no such thing as diminished value. I said I thought losing 20% of the value for minor cosmetic damage that's easily replaced is dumb. The example you listed isn't minor cosmetic damage.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
12/31/16 5:47 a.m.

Yellow you say?!?! I'm listening...

I love the GT3 and that would be my choice. But you are already talking about resale and I think the turbo may be an easier resale than the GT3.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
12/31/16 6:45 a.m.

I like simplicity, and I also don't like the looks of the 996 911's - and I had an '00 911 because I couldn't afford a 997.

Sell the Cayenne and M3 and get a 997 turbo or GT3.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/31/16 9:16 a.m.

Definitely not selling the Cayenne. It's a "do everything" vehicle for me, it tows, its a great ski car, and its a fun DD. Nothing out there does what it does as well as it does.

I'm pursuing that cheap 997 Turbo now, only thing I don't like about it is the lack of service records. Who are these owners that buy an expensive car like that and don't keep all the records?! Am I that much of an anomaly?

The GT3 owner is out of town until tomorrow, hopefully I hear from him then.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
12/31/16 11:44 a.m.

I'd pay extra for a yellow 911

What's your AFSC?

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/31/16 11:48 a.m.

Got a response from the 996 Turbo owner, apparently he thinks he'll get full price for his car. Good luck!!

GT3 owner apparently has several people interested in seeing it. Not sure if that's a sales tactic or the truth as the car been for sale for 4 months already. We'll see...

yupididit, 47G3

yupididit
yupididit Dork
12/31/16 11:58 a.m.

That explains it lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oq0ThxgpfZs6AOXTG1CaonIbDWDOjspNrLfStDGXsgrcCgXYUaSc5rorKYR1DUIG