AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/14/19 7:52 a.m.

Purple Crack boocoo money.   What's the second fastest tire these days?

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
6/14/19 8:15 a.m.

RE71?

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
6/14/19 8:16 a.m.

BFG Rival S 1.5's....

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
6/14/19 8:41 a.m.

I don't know, you'd have to ask the guys behind me. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/14/19 9:26 a.m.

Question insufficient. Are you looking for a Hoosier alternative DOT-legal R-Compound, or are you looking for a 200tw "street" tire. Because they don't compete with each other.

If you're looking for an alternative to Hoosier in the R-compound range, check out the Maxxis Victra or the Toyo Proxes RR.

If you're looking for a 200tw tire, you're basically looking at Rival S 1.5s, RE71Rs, or Yokohama AD08Rs.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/14/19 9:40 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Question insufficient. Are you looking for a Hoosier alternative DOT-legal R-Compound, or are you looking for a 200tw "street" tire. Because they don't compete with each other.

If you're looking for an alternative to Hoosier in the R-compound range, check out the Maxxis Victra or the Toyo Proxes RR.

If you're looking for a 200tw tire, you're basically looking at Rival S 1.5s, RE71Rs, or Yokohama AD08Rs.

Sorry for incomplete question.   In my mind, referencing Purple Crack inferred DOT-legal R-Compound, which is what i'm after.   These will be my four "free" challenge tires and I have money for Hoosiers, but I'm cheap so if i can get 98% of the A7 performance for less than the price of drag tires, then that changes both my challenge budget and my personal budget a little.

I have a plethora of sawblades and i love the way they look, so I'm stuck with 17" rim width.   I also want to run 3xx width on the rear, and I know A7s are avaialble in 315.  Car doesn't *need* that much tire, but goddamn it 315's look the business.   WIll check size availability on Maxxis and Toyo.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/14/19 9:51 a.m.

Toyo has a 315/18 but I think the widest they go in a 17 is like 275.

BFG also has an R1S in 315/18. 

All of these tires need some heat to work at their optimum, though. The R1Ss are every bit as sticky as a Hoosier... at 160-degrees. Below that, from ambient to around 140-150, the Hoosier is the class of the field.

I think there's a couple approaches here: You could save a few bucks over a Hoosier and get a tire that's leaving a few tenths on the autocross course, or you can just get the Hoosiers and have no excuses and sell them for 80% of what you paid after the event. 

Or, get Some R1Ss and make a set of active tire warmers. So far as i know there's nothing in the rules that says you can't.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/14/19 9:59 a.m.

I have Victra RC1 DOT-Rs (used) on my Corolla right now, and they don't get enough heat in them during an autocross run. The level of grip when cold isn't as good as a pointy-end 200TW tire. If you run this tire on a light car, you'll need to have a warmup area available at your autocross events and an insulation system to keep heat in the tires before/between runs. Here's how I did without warmup or insulation:

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/14/19 10:03 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

You know you have until 2024 to decide on tires right. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
6/14/19 10:04 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That course made my head hurt.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/14/19 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

i LOL'd.

then i cried.

because i'm not sure you're wrong.

codrus
codrus UberDork
6/14/19 11:16 a.m.

Used Hoosiers? :)

I've never used them, but i think the Hankook Z214s are another autox-focused DOT R compound tire.  They come in 2 or 3 different compounds.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/14/19 12:00 p.m.

i must have been bored when i posted the original question.   or maybe i'm afraid to tell my wife i'm spending $1600 for tires that i'm only going to use a few times.  either way, i'll probably show up on heat cycled sticker A7s.   because a gun is my favorite knife.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
6/14/19 12:59 p.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I've never seen a layout where you pass an element, do a 90° turn, then come in from the other end.

I would be off course for every run. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
6/14/19 1:04 p.m.

That course was more confusing than a whip-around race. (Which isn't that confusing, actually, but you get it.)

aw614
aw614 Reader
6/14/19 1:29 p.m.
Floating Doc said:
kazoospec said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I've never seen a layout where you pass an element, do a 90° turn, then come in from the other end.

I would be off course for every run. 

The course made sense to me for the first 45 seconds or so, then I just got lost

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
6/14/19 1:50 p.m.

regarding tires... i cannot compare them to hoosiers, but the Toyo R888r 315 series on a 17 wheel is what i run on the LS1-KART... they are reasonably priced at only 250/ea....  if you consider the amount (width) of rubber youre getting.

codrus
codrus UberDork
6/14/19 5:36 p.m.
aw614 said:

The course made sense to me for the first 45 seconds or so, then I just got lost

Looks like it was designed to put a 2 minute course onto ~ 30 seconds worth of pavement.

The end seemed a little risky to me though, car under heavy loading while not very far from the car and worker standing at the start line.

freetors
freetors Reader
6/14/19 9:28 p.m.

Whatever region that course was at... I'm never going there. Wow. I've never seen an autocross course that required handbrake turns to negotiate an element. Multiple times.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/15/19 10:44 a.m.

Yeah our autocross course design definitely has some gymkhana/dexterity influence...the car at the start actually wasn't supposed to be there yet, somebody messed up and let it into the stop box before the previous car stopped. The next event will finally have access to enough pavement to set up an SCCA-style one-way course, unfortunately I won't be there for it.

Also it's a Y-shaped course that ends where it starts with two turnaround points. The confusing part is the S-bend chicane in the middle, you take the same course through it in both directions. There weren't many DNFs, I never did.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YJLEBaihnrEt4Y6IFKX1hq986WRV5vqI18axsdUIsVeM8kPpcM5flWKsarEq3IJ4