poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/2/22 12:26 p.m.

Is there a "the answer?" 

They don't need to be class-specific or DOT approved. I just need them to do well in auto-x but not get completely destroyed if I take them on track. R7? R35? Whatever the hot 200TW tire is these days? 

They're going on my focus RS. 255/35/18 is preferable.

A7's were not the answer. Great at auto-x, but I corded them quickly at AMP.  Part of that may have been a pressure thing. 

I like the idea of hoosiers only because I can get very lightly used ones cheap, but I'm not opposed to new 200TW's if they're gonna be cheaper in the long run.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/2/22 12:43 p.m.

200TW's are the answer. My Boxster is similarly camber challenged as your RS. I run the Falken Azenis RT660 and am having great results at the autocross and in time trials all while street driving on them to events.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/22 1:00 p.m.

Yeah, some thoughts and options from our tire guide:

Super 200s: Fast but trading up some life and civility.

Endurance 200s: Not as fast for autocross, but more life. 

Endurance 100s: Even more life but less autocross speed. 

Street-legal track: More civil on the street and not as fast as a 200 but still a do-it-all tire. (That comes at a price, though.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/2/22 1:38 p.m.

What's your definition of "do well" at autocross? Do you mean be competitive or just drive nicely and don't take all event to heat up?

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
5/2/22 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

+1 on the Falken RT660. I no longer drive them to events (apartment parking lot) but they heat up quickly for autox, and I haven't had an issue lapping them in 70F degree weather all day. We'll see how they handle when track temps go over 100F.

I'm also camber limited, running -2.0 degrees in the front and 32-33PSI cold, and I have no issues with grip. They're also cheap as dirt compared to other performance tires, imo. 

Another thing to note is that they do run wider than advertised, at least in my eyes. They didn't have a 235/45R17 for my WRX so I'm running a 225/45R17 and it fits very well. 

left rear tire got the worst of it but as you can see there's still a lot of life in them even after a year of autox and 2 HPDEs.

be warned about loose rubber whipping around, though! 

poopshovel again
5/6/22 2:20 p.m.
dps214 said:

What's your definition of "do well" at autocross? Do you mean be competitive or just drive nicely and don't take all event to heat up?

I meant: "Win" in a big-fish/small pond scenario. I'm typically first or second at our little "Saturday Night Social" gatherings at AMP. But I ran my Continental DWS at the last event and lost by 4/10 and can't allow that to happen again lol. Also chewed up the sidewalls pretty badly at 45PSI

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/22 3:24 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

you'll always be the big fish in my pond

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/6/22 4:27 p.m.

Saturday night social at AMP?  How can I get an invite??

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/7/22 7:05 a.m.

Indy 500s have surprised me for track use.  I haven't used them in an autocross.  Durable, and cheap with a huge range of sizes.  You won't win.  But since you are already deciding that Hoosiers aren't the answer I inferred that wasn't the priority.

poopshovel again
5/19/22 11:44 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Saturday night social at AMP?  How can I get an invite??

You are invited!

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/19/22 2:00 p.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

Indy 500s have surprised me for track use.  I haven't used them in an autocross.  Durable, and cheap with a huge range of sizes.  You won't win.  But since you are already deciding that Hoosiers aren't the answer I inferred that wasn't the priority.

The Indy 500's are the answer for my CTS V.  Not the fastest tire at anything but great manners in all areas and super good life out of then.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ld8enj6kJHCRpbwef4Lhi6aWJpXH0Ge0rNbdws9NXFcNLqUHDNn82GZabrPX84FY