Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/24/23 3:42 p.m.
feature_image

How to best fund your racing efforts? How about making a bunch of your own limited-edition models of a car and then selling them?

That was pretty much the whole idea behind the Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Hugger Edition, the brainchild of racer and dealership owner Tom Nehl.

Only 90 examples are kno…

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/24/23 3:45 p.m.

Wow. 

David S. Wallens
10/24/23 3:47 p.m.

Also, my dad had one of these–well, “just” a standard ’78 Camaro.

How many other cars have the HVAC controls totally out of reach of the passengers? No heat for you! (Although the C8 Corvette is up there.)

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
10/24/23 5:49 p.m.

I always liked those disco Camaros.  Most were auto but in '78 you could still get a 4 speed and a 3.42 ratio'd rear.  An acquaintance from way back had one and it ran way better than it had any right to.  He didn't even do much to it.  Just simple stuff anybody could do.  A lot of those smog era cars could be really woken up with just some basic parts, know-how, and simple hand tools.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/24/23 6:09 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

...How many other cars have the HVAC controls totally out of reach of the passengers? No heat for you!...

It's not that they can't have heat, they just gotta earn it!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/25/23 8:58 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Also, my dad had one of these–well, “just” a standard ’78 Camaro.

How many other cars have the HVAC controls totally out of reach of the passengers? No heat for you! (Although the C8 Corvette is up there.)

I have owned mine 23 years and I totally forgot about the HVAC location (mine is long gone).  Nostalgia intensifies.

David S. Wallens
10/25/23 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

I’d love to find a photo of my dad’s Camaro: light blue over white with Cragars and the factory rear spoiler. (He wound up replacing the mags with color-matched Rally wheels.)

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
10/25/23 11:35 a.m.

My favorite, and I'm sure I'm in the minority, is the '74 Z28.  Those government mandated bumpers actually work well on the Camaro.  Those second year IROC racecars are some of my favorite of all time in the looks department.  Of course it doesn't hurt that I clearly remember a local guy completely destroying the competition night after night in his '74 "Screamin Z" in the hobby stock class in the early '90s

Nred
Nred New Reader
10/25/23 1:46 p.m.

James Hunt!

Made Camaros cooler than anything

David S. Wallens
10/25/23 1:49 p.m.

If you’re not doing full IROC treatment, that ’74 Z28 better be wearing these stripes. :) 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6m15deicC8CCo5NfJc7VS5myWtGuUaC3uua2anLWE50GZTGJvLpIraUC8Tgh4TCq