1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/13/23 11:27 a.m.
tuna55 said:
Appleseed said:

The S is said implying ownership, as in Aldi's. That store belongs to Aldi. Aldi's grocery store.

I know what you're saying, but good luck getting Chicagoland to change.

I don't like Aldi,

but I dislike this more.

My Grandmother, who had no affiliation with Chicago, would add "the" before and "s" after everything.

The Paneras

The Aldis.

It drove me crazy. It still does.

Stop it.

No.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/13/23 11:32 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

There's an area where we vacationed regularly when I was a kid called Muskoka.

It is now known almost exclusively as The Muskokas.

Makes me crazy.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/13/23 11:36 a.m.

I was in Minneapolis traveling to our hose shop and I asked a coworker if we can stop at "Cub's" (Cub Food Store) and the guy went ballistic.  We are NOT going to every single store in MSP.  It's Cub Food Store.  

From that day on my hose orders never went out on time.  You'd think I learned my lesson.  

Youse guys have helped educate me on this.

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
3/13/23 11:37 a.m.
EvanB said:
Datsun310Guy said:

My sons Aldis near Peoria, IL put in a self check out area.  Now you can move the merchandise 5 times. (Shelf to cart, cart to belt, belt to cart, cart to bag, bag to your shelf)

My Aldi put in self checkouts recently, they have fairly large bagging areas so it makes it less complicated. Shelf to cart, bags in bagging area, take stuff from cart as you scan and straight into the bag. 

They put the self check-outs in at the Aldi in Normal, IL too. At first I thought I would hate it, but it is amazing! We never use the self check out. We just have too much stuff for it. It works so well though because it keeps the manned checkout open for those of us with too much stuff for self checkout.

gumby
gumby Dork
3/13/23 12:46 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

for the Aldi shoppers among us, y'all ever try Aldi's nuts?

Gotta move this to page2

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/13/23 12:57 p.m.
karplus2 said:
EvanB said:
Datsun310Guy said:

My sons Aldis near Peoria, IL put in a self check out area.  Now you can move the merchandise 5 times. (Shelf to cart, cart to belt, belt to cart, cart to bag, bag to your shelf)

My Aldi put in self checkouts recently, they have fairly large bagging areas so it makes it less complicated. Shelf to cart, bags in bagging area, take stuff from cart as you scan and straight into the bag. 

They put the self check-outs in at the Aldi in Normal, IL too. At first I thought I would hate it, but it is amazing! We never use the self check out. We just have too much stuff for it. It works so well though because it keeps the manned checkout open for those of us with too much stuff for self checkout.

I have shopped at both of those locations you two are referencing, and it is making me miss central Illinois. 

I am weird.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
3/13/23 1:12 p.m.
karplus2 said:
EvanB said:
Datsun310Guy said:

For me it's the other way around.  I'm usually the guy standing in line with my five items behind 2 or 3 groups of people that come down from the hollar once a year to get provisions. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/13/23 1:20 p.m.

We went to Aldi once.  Everyone was raving about the produce, so we figured what the hell.

We must have missed the real produce section, because what little they had was mediocre at best.

Given the lack of non-house brands for other grocery items, I didn't see much reason to ever go back.

If I want obscure house-labeled stuff, I prefer Trader Joe's.  And yes, I am aware of the connection.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/13/23 1:23 p.m.
tuna55 said:

My Grandmother, who had no affiliation with Chicago, would add "the" before and "s" after everything.

Did she drive on The 405 a lot?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
3/13/23 1:28 p.m.

My lovely wife and I are Aldi shoppers, likely head there tonight.

• Crackers and cookies are pretty weak.  They don't taste as good as even the generics that Pick and Save (Kroger) sells.  
  • Clancy's chips are really horrid.  Never had a flavor that was any good.
  • Bread is OK.  Better deals at Costco but you don't always need 16 hamburger buns.  The bagels are particularly good.
  • Produce is pretty weak.  A lot of prepackaged stuff and stuff that is already around the bend.  Got some brussel sprouts there that were rancid/bad and a few other questionable items.  If we are doing a heavy produce shopping we head to the local Mexican grocery which is not only dirty cheap but also better quality.  Or Wal-Mart.  Our local walmart is better for even money.
  • Milk isn't cheap.
  • The canned goods, rip-off Stovetop and mashed potatos are decent.  
  • The spaghetti sauce, salsa, pasta is good.
  • The raw frozen seafood is usually good and cheap.
  • The rip-off Ben and Jerrys is real good for the $$.
  • The cheezy bread is good, the pizzas are OK.  I would say above-average.  Kwik Trip currently reigns supreme on "cook from thawed" take and bake pizzas.
  • The cheese and cured meats are always real good and sometimes real cheap too.  And they sell little bries, which is nice when someone wants a Baked Brie for One.
Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
3/13/23 2:14 p.m.
Appleseed said:
tuna55 said:
Appleseed said:

The S is said implying ownership, as in Aldi's. That store belongs to Aldi. Aldi's grocery store.

I know what you're saying, but good luck getting Chicagoland to change.

I don't like Aldi,

but I dislike this more.

The Paneras

The Aldis.

Stop it.

No.

These individuals can be seen in the wild taking phone videos of fireworks, or watching the big bang theory.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
3/13/23 7:04 p.m.

The produce is inconsistent, sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes missing.

The aldi brand cheezits are better than name brand.

Their organic salsa is my favorite salsa ever. It tends to sell out quickly so I have been known to buy them a dozen or more at a time.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/13/23 7:09 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

My kids won't eat any other bagels, theirs are that good

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/13/23 9:05 p.m.

Grocers Outlet and Wegmans are weekly shopping stops in our household. Trader Joe's is once in a blue moon. They have the best instant cold brew coffee in a can. I will buy two or three at a time. I shipped at Lidl this past weekend for first time in awhile and I might be going back more in the near future.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/13/23 9:33 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

It makes sense that a German store would have good bagels. Wait...

The bagels are passable, but have nothing on a good bagel. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/13/23 10:49 p.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Wegmans is making inroads around here, and we go occasionally.

They seem to be pretty good for the pre-prepared and semi-prepared foods. Their canned grocery / household item /etc selection seems a bit thin.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/15/23 1:44 p.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to tuna55 :

There's an area where we vacationed regularly when I was a kid called Muskoka.

It is now known almost exclusively as The Muskokas.

Makes me crazy.

I used a few Muskoka wood sticks back in the day. I really liked them; I think they were a Sherwood 5030 with a paint job. Always wanted a pair of Muskoka gloves too, but I recall them being north of $200, back in 2005. I've only ever had 2 pairs of skates that were more than that, even to this day. Although maybe that says more about me buying a lot of lightly used skates.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/15/23 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Woodman's started in my hometown. I had to explain the concept to my Milwaukee friends as "Food Menards".  The mark down meat bin and ethnic food selection is one of many reasons why we buy 90% of our groceries there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bUUjqI1p10RU6CZqfOWiXzubCOqVjEMRCELTnvGisxqYtHvJY8hVNdKNZosg20sx